Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-04-2007, 09:48 PM
303 Brit

Default Canning Wild Game

Hi All,

I have always frozen my wild game, but I know that some people preserve their game in mason jars. I tried some moose over at a friend of a friend's house one time that was out of a mason jar and it was really good. Does anyone on here do this? Is it difficult? Time consuming? Do you need a good recipe like if you were making sausage?

Any info would be great. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Piglet

Try this link:

www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/yf/foods/he155w.htm
Old 01-04-2007, 09:57 PM
lgu5

no, easy as pie!!! is great for lunch meats!!! Had canned moose for lunch the other day! Cut away all excess fat away! Tends to settle on top of jar.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:21 PM
canned moo

Default canned moose

try and find out from a Newfoundlander. a lot of them can their moose over there. and it is really good!
Old 01-04-2007, 11:26 PM
101sonny

Default Re: canned moose

Quote:
try and find out from a Newfoundlander. a lot of them can their moose over there. and it is really good!
A-men to that bigrig someone might want to share.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:05 AM
bagwan

Default Re: canned moose

Wife and I have a large pressure canner that does 7 quart sealers or pints at a time. Cut moose, deer, elk , big Canadas, ducks, chicken into chunks that fit into the jar and cook at 12 pounds pressure for 90 minutes. For qts add 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Garlic powder and experimentation as you wish. Another delicacy is duck gizzards cooked the same way. In my duck hunting days a rancher friend from Ezikom (sp) told me this one and he's right, they're some good. The pressure canner is the way to go as in my mothers day we did a lot of beef (no power) on a wood stove like the one TJ sold and you had to boil them for three hours. These canners are aluminum and probably around 100 bucks. Oh yeah, we used it when we lived on the Island for salmon as well. As I put in CBR's post, this is great for tent or camp tripswhere freezer space is minimal. For stew all you do is throw veggies in with a quart of meat and you have a heck of a meal. Hope this helps and you have a few bucks left over from the holidays.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Brady

We can a lot of elk and moose meat. I have put in some spicy clam juice prior to cooking in the pressure cooker, and this puts a neat twist on the flavour. We have tried tomato juice as well, but we find the clam juice to be better.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:50 AM
303 Brit

Hey all, really appreciate the info... wish I had asked this question earlier. I think I am going to have to experiment with some beef from the grocery store to see how it turns out. Thanks again.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:18 PM
chef

you can buy a canning boiler at crappy tire for 20 bucks ,holds 8 to 10 small jars.
cut the meat in 1 inch cubes approx .fill the jars loose packed half inch from the top ,after you boil the jars to sanatize them along with the lids .
add a small cube of fat or salt pork ,large pinch of salt ,tighten lid on lightly hand tight,
cover the jars with boiling water just over the top , medium boil for 2 .5 to 3 hrs ,adding water if it goes close to the jar tops .
take jars out and tighten lids hard , as they cool you will hear the lids popping ,completing the vacum seal.
if some of the lids do not pop and bulge outward after a couple days you will hear them exploding .:eek
good old newfy way.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Re: Canning Wild G

OK heres how its done,
get yourself some fatback you can usually get it at sobeys , a few onions. Cut the fatback into small pieces maybe like a 1/4" x 1/4" , put about 4 pieces in first, then a layer of meat (have it cubed in about 1/2" squares) then a layer of sliced onion, then a layer of meat and then a few more pieces of fatback keep doing this until the bottled is filled to the next , i like to have a layer of onions and fatback on top , now fill with water and make sure you get out all the air maybe use a turkey poker thing or something to move the meat around and get the water in there. When filled the water should be about 3/8" or so from the top. Place the seal on and screw the lid on 1 turn do not turn tight or it wont seal . Place in a pot and fill with water up to the neck and boil for 4 hrs and your done. This will take out gamey taste , and even when used with the toughest meat it will be tender. When you go to eat it all you need to do is warm it in a frying pan . You can also add vegetables to it so its like a stew, try some turnip, parsnip carrots and potatoes as layers . The meat will shrink some as it cooks also. So theres how a newfie bottles moose,, ,,,, oh yeah try it with ducks . Formerly600twin, formerly livin in Alberta
Old 01-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Re: Canning Wild

I didnt see Chefs post before i put mine up but i like to place the bottles in the water then bring to a boil cause i have seen them added to boiling water and get shocked and break. If the lids don't seal throw it away, they should start popping as Chef said. Better yet just send me you meat and i'll take care of it for you!!!!!!!:lol
Old 01-30-2007, 02:17 AM
bobcatguy1

Default Re: Re: Canning Wild Game

I've just made & tasted my 1st canned moose let me tell you it is delicious I made it from a cros of what all you guys said but with my twist, Bacon ends insted of pork fat
MMMMMMMMMMMM 1st pint almost gone.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:23 AM
bobcatguy1

Default Re: Re: Canning Wild Game

1st pint gone. A cornipocia of goodnrss & then some.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:12 AM
Re: Canning Wild

Glad to hear you like it. Maybe sometime i'll tell you how to make pickled weiners.