Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-19-2007, 12:13 PM
sheep hunter

Default South Texas Fun

Just got back from south Texas where I shot this big brute. Despite tales of them being bulletproof, I managed to drop this one on the spot with a .30-06 shooting a 180-grain Scirocco.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:18 PM
walleyes

Right on sheep,,, looks like fun.. Are those fenced hunts or free rangeing not that it really matters but just wondering. Was it a mixed bag exotic hunt or single species.. And did you get a chance at any other animals ???
Old 01-19-2007, 01:29 PM
sheep hunter

This was totally free ranging. These big beasts have called Texas home for over 100 years. I also hunted javelina but never saw a really big boar so I never took one. We saw loads of other critters. It was incredible.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:48 PM
walleyes

Rite on,,, What is the pricing like,, Is it fairly affordable... And does a guy eat those things or not really..
Old 01-19-2007, 02:01 PM
sheep hunter

It is very very affordable...around $2,500 and they are absolutely delicious. Our cook made up up some kabobs one night that were to die for.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:44 PM
walleyes

Thx sheep that is definetly something I am going to look into..
Old 01-19-2007, 02:57 PM
RyanGSP

What is that?

What part of Texas were you in?
Old 01-19-2007, 03:21 PM
sheep hunter

It's a nilgai....I was just north of Harligen Texas on the Punta Del Monte Ranch with the Yturria Land and Cattle Company.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:01 PM
chef

tis one of the largest or actually second largest member of the antelope family ,originating from india .stocked in the 1930,s
doing very well in texas on private game farms .
Old 01-19-2007, 05:04 PM
sheep hunter

Right and wrong...it's doing very well in south Texas in and out of private game farms. On cattle ranches they are a very unwelcome guest but they are plentiful. Nilgai are found on both high and low fenced ranches. We were hunting a low fence ranch, surrounded by other low fence ranches where the nilgai come and go at will. This was not a typical Texas hunt for exocyics. These are indeed very wild animals unconstrained by a fence.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:10 PM
chef

sorry i forgot to mention that,! they are a free range animal also there is a larger population of these animals in texas than there is in india ,presently.
looks like your was a youngen ,not very dark yet and thinner shorter horns.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:22 PM
sheep hunter

He was about 4-5 years old. His horns were actually quite long compared to some of the older bulls brought in but they did lack some of the mass. Yes, he is a bit lighter in colour than an old bull but there a many variations in colour.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:03 PM
graylake

Looks like you were far enough south to miss the snow and ice storms that went through there this week.

Nice bull.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:06 PM
jrs

Awesome critter! Congrats and thanks for sharing the pic.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:56 PM
sheep hunter

Ya, we just missed the ice storms but it did get near freezing a couple night and it rained lots. I can't wait to go back though.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:28 PM
Rackmastr

Awesome man...sounds like a fun trip!
Old 01-19-2007, 10:44 PM
hillbily

i agree, this is the first time i have laid eyes on one of these critters, and i try to read a number of hunting mags-BGA-hunting illistrated-etc etc. thanks for sharing sheep, i look forward to reading about it in AO.: , mabye it needs some out of province hunting advetures to read.
hill
Old 01-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Rackmastr

Sheep,
Does the ranch you hunted also have Mouflon or Audad sheep? I'd love to do a free range mouflon/audad hunt down there one day....
Old 01-19-2007, 10:54 PM
lethalconnection

Wow thats a trophy for the wall, i can honestly i have never seen one of those before, congrats on the exotic.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Sniperwolf

Sheep, that is a great animal! I too have never seen one of those before, but then again I have never looked for information/photos from that far south. Glad to see you had a good time and bagged a nice animal. Are you going to have him mounted, and will you be writing an article about it in AO?
Old 01-20-2007, 11:12 AM
sheep hunter

Hey Trev....the free ranging auodad are pretty much confined to west Texas so no there was none where I was. They did have a large herd of scimitar horned oryx though.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:14 AM
sheep hunter

I'm getting a European mount of him done and I will be writing about some of the equipment we used in the hunt in AO but likely not the actual hunt itself.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:19 PM
TBark

Nice looking critter TJ,
First time I've seen one too.

TBark
Old 01-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Rackmastr

Sheep,
Thanks man....the oryx would be a cool trophy to take home as well.....might have to plan a trip down there in the next few years.....an audad would be awesome too of course!
Old 01-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Craftyhunter

Sheep,

first of all congrats,

second, did this animal and any of the others qualify as wildlife and only require a wildlife permit to transport back to Canada? Can you give me some details. I have been trying to go on a hunt to Texas for three years but keep running into roadblocks due to BSE and other diseases.

Could you give some contact info for the ranch.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:44 PM
Duk Dog

Congrats SH. I was also going to ask you about a web site or contact details for them. My folks are heading south for a couple months this winter and this might make for a good side trip for my dad.
Thanks.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:33 PM
Kodiak

Thanks TJ, been hunting Mulies northeast of Elpaso, never did see one of those critters.

Gotta like the gun rules down there eh, lol.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:22 PM
sheep hunter

All you need to import one is a valid Texas hunting licence. Not a bad idea to check with the border guys first but that was my understanding that the licence was your export permit. There shouldn't be any BSE problems any more.

Ranch is the Yturria Land and Cattle Company 956-542-4212. Sorry they don't have a web site...
Old 01-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Duk Dog

Thanks Sheep. I'll relay the number to my dad.