Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-09-2022, 01:11 PM
Banned

Link doesn’t work
Isn’t he a lawyer himself now?
Old 04-09-2022, 04:10 PM

Here's the link to the old AO thread. Well worth the read if you're not familiar with the Great White Holdings "story". Criminal history going back 40 years.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/archi.../t-199005.html
Old 04-14-2022, 08:09 PM

Well I see they are available but none of the new 3 tags are available.

That kinda stinks!
Old 04-20-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearb8er View Post
Well I see they are available but none of the new 3 tags are available.

That kinda stinks!
The new tags will be available in 4 or 5 days.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Did you mean weeks?
Old 05-05-2022, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlered View Post
Did you mean weeks?
Could be months lol
Oh well
All they need is 2 days notice like they gave for the auction lol

Let you know on Thursday
Tickets go on sale on Saturday
Draw Sunday night

Get your tag mid November
Old 06-18-2022, 08:32 AM

There won’t be any of the new tags this year for the raffle. Theres a big stink about it. AFGA hasn’t dropped the ball, this time it’s all AEP and AGLC the best you could hope for would be the turkey tag at this point because it’s a may season.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
4 or 5 days?

or did you mean 4 or 5 months?

We are now 2 months after your post
Old 06-20-2022, 12:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
There won’t be any of the new tags this year for the raffle. Theres a big stink about it. AFGA hasn’t dropped the ball, this time it’s all AEP and AGLC the best you could hope for would be the turkey tag at this point because it’s a may season.
Where is this big stink being had? I have only heard about these tags in this thread, Nowhere else. Every species in the province outside of a Goat should have a Ministers tag.
Old 06-20-2022, 01:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMac View Post
Where is this big stink being had? I have only heard about these tags in this thread, Nowhere else. Every species in the province outside of a Goat should have a Ministers tag.
They pretty much will once the raffles for moose, antelope and turkey are released

A whitetail tag wouldn’t be bad either if you got an extra month to hunt
Old 06-20-2022, 01:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
It sounds like you are 100% correct
AEP seems to be the one who dropped the ball

Another opportunity wasted due to bureaucracy
I’m curious as to how the auctions tags were able to be processed yet these weren’t?
Old 06-20-2022, 02:18 PM

AFGA are also at fault for not bringing this to the Resident Hunters and allowing this to happen.

Jason Nixon told 800 people at the WSFAB banquet in March that these tags would be available this year.

Jason Nixon is already being fired when kenney finally leaves. But the mismanagement across the board on the Resident file is shocking and sad. Truly a sad state that Alberta's wildlife is in.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingAlberta View Post
AFGA are also at fault for not bringing this to the Resident Hunters and allowing this to happen.

Jason Nixon told 800 people at the WSFAB banquet in March that these tags would be available this year.

Jason Nixon is already being fired when kenney finally leaves. But the mismanagement across the board on the Resident file is shocking and sad. Truly a sad state that Alberta's wildlife is in.
Quite disheartening.
Not really sure what their end game is.
Old 06-20-2022, 03:31 PM

Quote:

AFGA hasn't got the conditions of the MSL tags (dates, WMU, special provisions) from AEP despite multiple emails to AEP.

With out the conditions from AEP, AFGA can not pull a lottery license from AGLC to hold the raffle
Old 06-20-2022, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
AFGA hasn't got the conditions of the MSL tags (dates, WMU, special provisions) from AEP despite multiple emails to AEP.

With out the conditions from AEP, AFGA can not pull a lottery license from AGLC to hold the raffle
This is what I have heard happened if guys want to point fingers at AFGA for any of this their blaming the wrong origination.

HuntingAlberta how can AFGA be in the wrong when AEP didn’t meet the requirement of AGLC despite multiple emails calls and in person meetings?

I would suggest people contact their mla and ask why was APOS allowed to run an auction with 2 days notice delete the adds on facebook for said auction reducing the publics knowledge and limiting the auction pool and allow it’s own member to buy all 3 tags. While at the same time AEP sat on their hands not do anything to allow the 3 new tags to be raffled. Seems really suspicious who know what back room deals and wheels where greased.
Old 06-20-2022, 04:52 PM

Default USD or CAD

Does anyone know if the Auction was In USD or CAD?

...im dissapointed there was no resident raffle for the 3 new tags,hopefully next year.

...had NO idea about the auction aswell until it was over
Old 06-20-2022, 04:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Does anyone know if the Auction was In USD or CAD?

...im dissapointed there was no resident raffle for the 3 new tags,hopefully next year.

...had NO idea about the auction aswell until it was over
USD
Problem with the auction was the rules and conditions didn’t make sense
I didn’t see Kyle’s post lol
Old 06-20-2022, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Not really sure what their end game is.
I have an idea, but I really don't want to think about it.
Old 06-21-2022, 01:57 PM

I have now made multiple requests to AEP and AFGA to get a copy of the rules, legalities and overlying rules around the MSL licenses.

I have been told, but have not read with my own eyes, that for the licenses to go to auction, there MUST be a raffle for residents.

AEP has not responded to any of my requests or emails. AFGA has said they would also like to see this document and they are trying to get a hold of it.

I spoke first hand to AFGA yesterday and they are extremely disappointed in AEP and their lack of participation in getting the MSL license to Alberta residents.

I do wonder why and how AEP was able to get APOS the details required inside a week so APOS could take these to auction.

That doesn't sound like any back door deals at all does it?....

Old 06-21-2022, 02:56 PM
Banned

I just don’t understand how they could mess this up
Its like they don’t care
Old 06-21-2022, 02:57 PM
Banned

Hopefully Brian Jean gives Jason Nixon the boot when he takes over. I had high hopes for Nixon, thought he was a good guy when he was appointed. What a Boondoggle this administration has been.
Old 06-21-2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I have an idea, but I really don't want to think about it.
Guessing our ideas are quite similar. Obvious isn't being hidden very well
Old 06-21-2022, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMac View Post
Hopefully Brian Jean gives Jason Nixon the boot when he takes over. I had high hopes for Nixon, thought he was a good guy when he was appointed. What a Boondoggle this administration has been.
I thought the same but he's NOT a good guy. There are many skeletons in his closet. He shouldn't have made the vetting process, and I'm not talking about the Mountain Aire horse incident that truly was not his fault. He has just been protected by Kenney after he defected from the Jean Camp. He is our MLA and is absolutely useless!!
Old 06-21-2022, 07:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
I thought the same but he's NOT a good guy. There are many skeletons in his closet. He shouldn't have made the vetting process, and I'm not talking about the Mountain Aire horse incident that truly was not his fault. He has just been protected by Kenney after he defected from the Jean Camp. He is our MLA and is absolutely useless!!
Seems like he was just replaced by Whitney Issik. No idea what they are all about. Hopefully we find out soon
Old 06-21-2022, 07:26 PM

Makes no sense how aep can give the rules to apos but not to afga for the same licenses, but a different method to sell them. AGLc would probably love to hear about the back room deal. I wonder if anyone has approached AGLc about the different approach for the two license types.

Afga has done a terrible job on this file. From hiding it from the public, keeping it a secret, and not being open about why and how these licenses havent come to be. Not even mentioning them butchering the 3 old licenses this year to favour rich people and only raise half the funds compared to any other year from their pricing and ticket scheme. Truly a shame.

Afga has not done a thing on this file, or other files to make anyone have faith in them.
Old 06-21-2022, 10:31 PM
Banned

We still don’t know if the auction tags are transferable
Old 06-22-2022, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
We still don’t know if the auction tags are transferable
Yes they are
Old 06-22-2022, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Makes no sense how aep can give the rules to apos but not to afga for the same licenses, but a different method to sell them. AGLc would probably love to hear about the back room deal. I wonder if anyone has approached AGLc about the different approach for the two license types.

Afga has done a terrible job on this file. From hiding it from the public, keeping it a secret, and not being open about why and how these licenses havent come to be. Not even mentioning them butchering the 3 old licenses this year to favour rich people and only raise half the funds compared to any other year from their pricing and ticket scheme. Truly a shame.

Afga has not done a thing on this file, or other files to make anyone have faith in them.
AGLC has nothing to do with the auction. It is an auction in another country, not a lottery.
Old 06-22-2022, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
Yes they are
That’s garbage
If your allowed yo hunt longer than what they released before the auction.
Crap needs to hit the fan
Old 06-24-2022, 10:06 AM

I received a copy of this letter that AFGA put out to its membership.

The Alberta Fish and Game Association and the Minister’s Special
License Programme

HISTORY

When the Minister’s Special License (MSL) tags were first offered in 1995, the Alberta Fish and
Game Association (AFGA) initially opposed them, viewing these tags, and particularly the
international auctions, as providing elitist hunting to the highest bidder, essentially selling Alberta
wildlife.

Over time, this method of raising restricted funds for species conservation within Alberta
combined with providing an opportunity for Alberta residents to obtain the hunt of a lifetime
changed minds, and the AFGA began to support the programme.

In late 2012, the AFGA executed a formal contract with Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP)
to manage the entire MSL programme (international auction and Alberta resident raffles) for 5
years, 2013-2017. The full MSL programme consisted of organizing and managing both the
annual international auction and Alberta resident raffles, collecting the funds raised in restricted
fund accounts as required by the Alberta Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis Commission (AGLC),
and dispensing the collected funds the following year in a formal, transparent process for MSL
Grant Fund applicants.

The AFGA was permitted to take 15% of the total MSL Funds gathered as an administration fee.
This annual administration fee typically averaged $70,000.

For the period 2018-2022, the AFGA continued to manage the entire MSL programme, although
the initial formal contract was never renewed. AEP provided annual, semi-formal contract
extensions each fall. Throughout this period, the AFGA constantly lobbied for both a formal,
new contract, and for new species to be added to the programme. The AFGA was repeatedly
told not to worry; the MSL programme is the AFGA’s to lose, and not have it taken away.

Over the full 10-year period (2013-2022), the AFGA formalized a number of practices with regard
to the MSL that we believe reflect the objects and values of the AFGA, and of conservation in
Alberta.

 All funds raised through the MSL programme (after deduction of the administration fee)
will always be directed towards qualified conservation projects in Alberta.
 The international auctions are intended to attract an international audience and
pocketbook.
 The Alberta raffles are limited to Alberta Residents only, giving them an equal opportunity
for the same number of tags as the international auctions.
 Raffle ticket purchases are initially limited to 100 tickets per person per species per day
for the first 30 to 90 days.
 Only the actual winners of the international auctions or the Alberta raffles can use the
tags won. In other words, the tags cannot be sold/traded/transferred/given to any other
individual.
 The MSL specie tag winner may hunt in any wildlife Management Unit (WMU) for which
a season, open or Special License, exists for that specie, limited to the WMU’s season
dates for that specie, and limited by all other restrictions for that WMU (e.g. weapon
restrictions).

THIS YEAR

On December 11, 2021, a portion of the AFGA Executive met with AEP, led by Travis Ripley,
the Executive Director of the Fish and Wildlife Stewardship Branch. When the topic of the
MSL programme came up, he announced that, starting with 2023, all MSL international
auctions had been given to the Alberta Professional Outfitters Society (APOS), and all
Alberta MSL raffles would be given to Alberta-based conservation organizations. It was quite
clear this decision was irreversible and not up for discussion.

In early 2022, the AFGA was told that a formal procurement process for both the international
auctions and the Alberta raffles would begin in August 2022. AFGA queries as to both the
bidder qualification process and the bid evaluation process went unanswered.

Throughout this period, no plan was ever presented by AEP for the management of the
collected conservation funds.

On March 24, two AFGA Affiliated Club members notified us that the Midwest Chapter of the
Wild Sheep Foundation (Minnesota) had three new species Alberta MSL tags, supplied by
APOS, as part of their Annual Fundraiser on-line auction. Requests for a formal explanation
from AEP went unanswered.

Informal discussion with other contacts yielded that APOS had been pushing for MSL tags
for more species, and these new MSL tags had been given with 4 days notice. APOS was
able to mobilized for the Minnesota auction, but had never been given any conditions w.r.t.
the tags, and management of the collected funds was never discussed with AEP.

When the Minnesota auctions concluded on March 26 with one bidder. Greatwhite1, winning
all three auctions, the AFGA sent a formal letter to Travis Ripley, dated March 29, asking for
confirmation of the beliefs that AFGA held w.r.t. this auction. Again, no response has been
received.

On March 25, the AFGA received an email from Travis Ripley of AEP, notifying us that we
had been given an additional 4 tags (1 pronghorn, 1 moose, and 2 turkey) for the 2022
Alberta raffles. We immediately asked for the raffle conditions that need to be supplied by
AEP for our raffle application to AGLC. The conditions that existed in the old, never renewed,
MSL contract from 2017 could not be used.

We even delayed rolling out the original 3 specie Alberta raffle until April 12 in the hope we
would have the AEP conditions in time for the 3 new species and could roll out both sets
together.

AEP has yet to supply any conditions for the additional 2022 raffles. This is important,
because AGLC requires 60 days to process any new raffle application. That means that
were we able to submit our 3 applications today (May 18), we may not receive the AGLC goahead until July 18 to start the raffle. That leaves just 38 days to the start of the 2022 moose
season and 44 days to the start of the 2022 pronghorn season!

On April 19, the AFGA received the first of several queries from AEP on future conditions for
MSL tags. We were one of several stakeholders approached. Our responses were always
consistent with those listed on the first page. Although AEP has yet to reach a formal
decision in this matter, the following items are in play.

 AEP wishes to have one consistent set of conditions regardless of specie and whether the
MSL tag was won by international auction or by Alberta raffle.
 The only criterion is to maximize the dollars raised through this programme.
 There would be no restriction on the MSL raffle, limiting purchase to 100 tickets per person
per species per day for the first 30 to 90 days. All raffle tickets could be purchased by
one individual with minutes of the raffle opening.
 The MSL tag would be valid for one calendar year (365 days).
 The MSL tag would be valid throughout Alberta, regardless of WMU restrictions.
 The holder of an MSL tag can use any weapon of their choice to harvest the animal,
regardless of any WMU restrictions.
 The holder of any MSL tag is free sell or transfer the tag as they wish.

At no point to date has there been any discussion on management of the funds raised by the
future MSL programme. At a meeting with AEP on another topic, I was able to pigeonhole Travis
Ripley and share my belief that few organizations are equipped to manage a formal, transparent
process for distribution of MSL Grant Funds to qualified applicants. The default position must
be that this issue must be managed by AEP. For an appropriate fee, the AFGA believes it can
manage this specific process on behalf of AEP.

From an AFGA perspective, it is entirely possible that the future conditions selected by AEP for
the MSL programme will be at odds with the objects and values of the AFGA. The AFGA may
be forced to make a difficult decision as to whether it remains involved with the MSL programme.