Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-15-2022, 09:24 PM

Default Calgary Area Gophers

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and looking for people to join in Calgary area for gopher hunts.

Grew up in Drumheller, spent my summers shooting gophers with buddies in and around Drumheller. A Ruger 10/22, 25 round Butler Creek mags and a brick of Stingers most weekends.

Been in Calgary for too long (don't hold that against me) and haven't been out gopher hunting for some time. I did have a place to go in Strathmore area a few years back, but was always a solo thing, no one interested in going. The area was not the best, with down range hazards to avoid in some directions. Just considered the gophers in the direction of such hazards lucky and moved on.

Spend my winters putting holes in paper at CSC and summers in weekly leagues such as Steel Challenge. Miss the summer gopher hunt comradery.

If you are looking for a buddy or know of someone looking for a buddy on gopher hunts, send me a message.
Old 04-16-2022, 10:46 AM

First post. Lol.
Uhm, drive around, find gophers on property, knock on door of the land owner, introduce yourself. Repeat.
Good luck.

Tullfan
Old 04-16-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post
First post. Lol.
Uhm, drive around, find gophers on property, knock on door of the land owner, introduce yourself. Repeat.
Good luck.

Tullfan

You wouldn't know where a guy could find a lazy 7x7 bull elk that feeds in the open during daylight hours would ya? Asking for a friend.
Old 04-16-2022, 11:52 AM

organizing a day shoot at your Drum haunts would be a great way to meet local shooters who may in turn share their spots.
Old 04-16-2022, 04:54 PM

I think you have hit on a good idea,

What about a thread/topic section celebrating the sport of kings where shooters and land owners could get together and coordinate shoots?

A lot of people have their own spots and landowners are right to be concerned about the character of those coming on their land. Betting they're not keen on 20 trucks a day coming up their driveway every sunny day.

Being able to coordinate shoots between shooters and landowners may work for both sides for those who don't have spots and landowners who want shooters.

Approved group can arrive at a predetermined time and get an orientation from the land owner and then organize themselves so a safe productive shoot can be had.

Just an idea and something to consider.
Old 04-16-2022, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWN View Post
I think you have hit on a good idea,

What about a thread/topic section celebrating the sport of kings where shooters and land owners could get together and coordinate shoots?

A lot of people have their own spots and landowners are right to be concerned about the character of those coming on their land. Betting they're not keen on 20 trucks a day coming up their driveway every sunny day.

Being able to coordinate shoots between shooters and landowners may work for both sides for those who don't have spots and landowners who want shooters.

Approved group can arrive at a predetermined time and get an orientation from the land owner and then organize themselves so a safe productive shoot can be had.

Just an idea and something to consider.
This use to happen 10 or more years ago in this very website, guys ruined it with too many shooter and irresponsible be haviour while camping on the land owners property. plus some crazy bad weekend weather wise
Old 04-16-2022, 09:11 PM

Default choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
You wouldn't know where a guy could find a lazy 7x7 bull elk that feeds in the open during daylight hours would ya? Asking for a friend.

Or how about your jumbo perch hole .........LOL
Old 04-16-2022, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post
First post. Lol.
Good luck.

Tullfan

well spoken Jethro
Old 04-17-2022, 08:52 PM

Yes, first post. Gotta start somewhere, might as well be with 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
^^Thanks^^

I'm not looking to poach anyone's spot. I'm looking to find a decent, responsible individual or small group to shoot with. Most that I see at the range and steel challenge have no interest in gopher shooting. My buddy, who I spent the first half of my life gopher shooting in Drumheller area was killed by a drunk driver some years back. Sure, I can return to the one spot I have been going to in recent past, but it gets boring by oneself. Just looking to find others to share the experience with.
Old 04-17-2022, 10:40 PM

Just a thought, but why not go to your connections in Drumheller?
Old 04-17-2022, 10:55 PM

Sunny spring morning, couple hours to Drum, 2 hour shoot, 4 hours at the museum, beer and eats, another 2 hour shoot, and home.
Old 04-18-2022, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetmail View Post
Yes, first post. Gotta start somewhere, might as well be with 1.

^^Thanks^^

I'm not looking to poach anyone's spot. I'm looking to find a decent, responsible individual or small group to shoot with. Most that I see at the range and steel challenge have no interest in gopher shooting. My buddy, who I spent the first half of my life gopher shooting in Drumheller area was killed by a drunk driver some years back. Sure, I can return to the one spot I have been going to in recent past, but it gets boring by oneself. Just looking to find others to share the experience with.
You are better off finding a patch and posting "I have a gopher patch that needs thinning looking for a partner that can help out". Add any caveat's that you might have and I bet you get lots of replies to pick through.

Thomas Sowell