Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-21-2023, 08:54 AM

Default Down sleeping bag recommendations?

Hey folks, I’m in need of a quality sleeping bag for the Yukon this summer. I’ve put a wtb ad out but isn’t getting much action. Im looking to get some advice from some outdoor enthusiasts who have experience in the backcountry with down bags. I want something lightweight but still must be warm. Preferably rated -12 or -18 or something like that. I have no issues with spending a good chunk of cash on a warm bag that will last me a decade or 2 but I want to make sure I get the right one. I was looking at western mountaineering bags and they look top notch. Yes they are a lot of money however, I’ll be using this bag every spring, summer and fall for as long as the bag allows.

Any recommendations appreciated!!
Thanks guys
Old 05-21-2023, 09:05 AM

I have the Kuiu bag and like it, if your guiding you should get the 25% discount.
Old 05-21-2023, 09:19 AM

That's not true Bob! You don't like that sleeping bag. You *LOVE* it, and you told me so several times! At great length.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-21-2023, 10:28 AM

I have no complaints with my Western Mountaineering bag. Warmer model than you are looking at, but I expect the other models would have similar quality.
Old 05-21-2023, 10:37 AM

Army issue sleeping bag system. One of the best all around set ups you can find. When you use all the bags and the chicken hood it's good for around -35°c or use the outer on its own for the summer. You should be able to pick one up for around $100-$150... you won't be disappointed!
Old 05-21-2023, 11:13 AM

Here's another vote for the CF sleeping bag system. I have a pile of gear but when the temperature drops, I skip the fancy flyweights and high end brand names in my locker and go straight for my old issue bag.
Old 05-21-2023, 11:30 AM

I like Taiga bags. Canadian made to boot. If you are doing the tourist thing, a -7 is good for most of summer. Shoulder seasons I suggest a -20.
Old 05-21-2023, 11:37 AM

I should add, I’ll be sleeping in it for 2 months outside in the mountains. Needs to be fit for backpacking in the fall as well so warmth and weight are my top considerations as well as stuff size. Thanks for the advice, that’s not the first time I’ve heard about the army bags. I’ll have to consider them.
Old 05-21-2023, 11:58 AM

Kluane on Whyte Ave, custom down bags, made for your specs, top of the line. Made mine.
Old 05-21-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
I have the Kuiu bag and like it, if your guiding you should get the 25% discount.
If there's a discount you're not getting, you're paying too much.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-21-2023, 07:26 PM

I just bought a -30 northface down bag on the Facebook marketplace
Guy in Calgary that outfits for Everest and drycleans and sells the bags after each trip
$550 for a $1100 bag
Packs up small
I couldn’t stomach paying $1000 plus for a new bag
Seams to be quite a few used good bags on marketplace
Old 05-21-2023, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
Here's another vote for the CF sleeping bag system. I have a pile of gear but when the temperature drops, I skip the fancy flyweights and high end brand names in my locker and go straight for my old issue bag.
X3, reasonable and designed for the worst weather. But then, if it ain't expensive , can't be much good.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-21-2023, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
I just bought a -30 northface down bag on the Facebook marketplace
Guy in Calgary that outfits for Everest and drycleans and sells the bags after each trip
$550 for a $1100 bag
Packs up small
I couldn’t stomach paying $1000 plus for a new bag
Seams to be quite a few used good bags on marketplace
You do know, North face, is anti oil
Old 05-21-2023, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDR View Post
I like Taiga bags. Canadian made to boot. If you are doing the tourist thing, a -7 is good for most of summer. Shoulder seasons I suggest a -20.
This my pack hunt sleeping bag, but my bag is -18
Old 05-21-2023, 08:34 PM

Default heavy bag

i have 3 Artic 5 star bag's that are excelent,Not bags for hiking at all,but nothing better IMO for a wall tent or outdoor bag.Not sure they are still manufacturing them anymore though.
Old 05-21-2023, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
i have 3 Artic 5 star bag's that are excelent,Not bags for hiking at all,but nothing better IMO for a wall tent or outdoor bag.Not sure they are still manufacturing them anymore though.
Same here, acquired a couple of both Woods 3 star and 5 star bags over the years. Purchased new. Used today fetch a fair price if in decent shape.
Also have two bags from Whole Sale Sports, I believe they are the outfiier series.
Down bags are great for below zero, but a bit much for anything warmer.
Old 05-22-2023, 12:52 AM

Depends if weight is really important , if it’s not then the cf bags are good enough. The outer bag is roomier of course and more comfy than the inner but also more drafty around the shoulders.
Old 05-22-2023, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270hunter View Post
I should add, I’ll be sleeping in it for 2 months outside in the mountains. Needs to be fit for backpacking in the fall as well so warmth and weight are my top considerations as well as stuff size. Thanks for the advice, that’s not the first time I’ve heard about the army bags. I’ll have to consider them.
If for backpacking the CF bags might be a bit heavy.
Kuiu, Stone glacier, Western mountaineering, Taiga, Enlightened equipment or check the MEC website and find a synthetic bag that's under 3lbs. I also know of someone in Alaska who does custom quilts but you're looking at $500+ USD.

Don't forget you need a good sleeping pad which will run you $300 for an xtherm neo air, sea to summit etc.
Old 05-22-2023, 06:37 PM

Can't really have a single bag that's good for early mid fall lightweight hiking and serious winter (-20 and below).

I have the Revelation Sleeping Quilt (-6). Very lightweight and warm. If the weather turns bad I just wear my down jacket to bed.
Old 05-25-2023, 09:18 AM

I have an old school David Reid down mummy bag that I used for years when backpacking. Finally had enough of the claustrophobic/constrictive feeling of a narrow mummy bag. Made for a lot of lost sleep.

https://vpo.ca/product/332759/ascent-iii-18c-0f-regular
Bought this one last year, but in a long. WAY more room making for a much better sleep. One of the most important things out there is a good sleep.
Get a good pad as well. https://www.thermarest.com/ca/sleepi...e-nxt-max.html
Old 05-26-2023, 07:03 AM

If weight and pack size are your criteria I would seriously consider a quilt, smaller, lighter and just as warm as a mummy bag when used properly. Definitely need a good sleeping pad to go with it but you need that with a mummy bag as well.
I have 2 enlightened equipment ones but there are others out there as well.
Once i switched to my quilt no way i could sleep inside a mummy bag again.
Old 05-26-2023, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
If weight and pack size are your criteria I would seriously consider a quilt, smaller, lighter and just as warm as a mummy bag when used properly. Definitely need a good sleeping pad to go with it but you need that with a mummy bag as well.
I have 2 enlightened equipment ones but there are others out there as well.
Once i switched to my quilt no way i could sleep inside a mummy bag again.
Thank you for commenting this, I like the idea of the quilt and have looked at some in person. The store owner was saying how he will never sleep in a sleeping bag if he has the option of a quilt and it made sense. There’s not much point in having down underneath you because it gets compressed and doesn’t add anything for warmth. He was raving about how comfortable sleeping he was so I might consider getting an enlightened -18 quilt. I bought a big Agnes rapide sleeping pad which he highly recommended and so far seems really comfortable and lightweight.

And thank you to everyone else who’s commented, I’ve had a look at everyone’s options they suggested and I’m still deciding what to get. At least I have options now!
Old 05-28-2023, 02:33 PM

I've had many down and synthetic bags, mostly because needs change with weather and seasons.

For summer up north it may be good to explore a synthetic option as down tends to hold moisture. Both work though and no right or wrong. You can get higher end down or blended bags with moisture resistant outter shells if wanted.

It may be beneficial to also explore an Overbag. These are used in unison with another bag and incrementally increase temperature rating. So if you had typical -7 to - 10 rated bag for late spring to early fall you could supplement with over bag and double or more the temp rating. I also like using just an over bag for those hot hot summer days when a regular bag is too warm..

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2023, 02:34 PM

Look at the black ovis bags. Picked one up this year on a whim. Great price, size and warmth. I was looking at the KUIU bags when I saw the ovis on sale.
Old 06-03-2023, 01:14 PM
Banned

Arrow

Borrowed this high end down bag from a Buddy for an extended high mountain hunt.

Cold, snowy and windy was what we met up with:

Spent may nights up there looking for the right Stone Ram:

I was warm, dry & toasty each and every one of those nights.
Liked it so much I bought it from my Buddy when we got back home.

A tad pricey, but money well spent IMHO.
You simply can't put a price on comfort!

https://shop.valandre.com/sleeping-b...-m/2-zip-right

Cheers
Old 06-04-2023, 11:05 AM

Default Bag

https://www.taigaworks.com/
Old 06-04-2023, 12:42 PM

Default Yourtube review

Here is a really good review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--Zf5GfjYG0
Old 06-06-2023, 11:17 AM

I use the KSB 0 hybrid which is down and synthetic, comes with a compression sack, and I love it. Been plenty warm enough for me down to -15. My wife uses a mountain hardware bishop pass and she loves hers. I ordered mine from gear trade in Okotoks for like 300 bucks. Highly recommend them.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2023, 12:20 PM

Default SG

I have the Stone glacier Chilkoot 0 degree and 15 degree, its what I run on my sheep hunts, great for back packing. I have had spent 50 plus days in them without finding inherent flaws. Personal preference would come into play if comparing to the Kuiu. SG tends to be more bare bones and plain and Kuiu tends to add a bit of their own touches which can be good too. SG had free shipping right now too so that's cool too.
Old 06-09-2023, 12:59 PM

Default all around best Sleeping bag

After endless research on sleeping bags, I took a chance on Taiga, and boy, am I glad I did! I went for the Cloud-9 MB-40L I had no experience with Taiga but I'd heard good things. I picked the Cloud-9 MB-40L based on price/weight and features. It sounded like it punched well above its price tag, it checked all the boxes: price, weight, and features. And let me tell you, it packs a punch!

During my solo trip in the northern Rockies, I encountered some crazy cold weather (-12C) My sleeping bag kept me cozy like a toasty marshmallow. Even when my bivy sack turned into a swamp, the down insulation stayed dry. I just shook off the ice, hung it up, and it was good to go.
Honestly, This sleeping bag delivers on par with those priced at $1000, yet it's half the cost. I couldn't be happier, I can confidently say my Taiga sleeping bag nailed it.