Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-10-2015, 09:57 AM

Default Medicine Lake (Jasper), requesting general information

Me and my Dad are going to be heading out to try Medicine Lake in Jasper in a week or so and I had a few questions I couldn't find much details online about and was hoping someone here who has fished it before could help.

I'm wondering how difficult the hike into the 'lake' is, as in how deep is the mud, are there sink holes to worry about, and just a general idea of where is the easiest place to get to the 'lake' (my Dads getting a little older now and I want to take it easy on him if possible).

On a similar note to what I posted above what kind of waders are best for the hike? I have an older pair of neoprene bootfoot waders and a newer stockingfoot pair. I'm thinking if the mud is deep the older pair of bootfoot waders might be the best idea for the hike into the lake.

Finally any fly recommendations? I've heard a big San Juan worm under an indicator usually works best but I was wondering if anyone else had any other flies they found worked well out there.

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-10-2015, 12:58 PM

I fished Medicine lake maybe ten years back around this time of year and though my memory is a bit foggy... I don't believe the hike in took any effort at all (though I was younger and fitter then). The lake level was low and I was able to wade freely and target rainbows concentrated in deep channels. I don't recall having any issues sinking too deep in the mud and I only had to be careful not to wade too close to the channels for fear of overtopping my waders. The flies I used (sight fishing mostly) were pheasant tails, bead head hares ears, prince nymphs and perhaps a dry fly or two! What I do recall vividly however, was the fight and acrobatic jumps of the many rainbow trout that were caught. Now that I live in the province I plan on heading back again ... perhaps next year!

Best of luck to you

FFG

“Do unto those downstream as you would have those upstream do unto you.”
― Wendell Berry
Old 09-10-2015, 01:38 PM

Wear the old boot waders. The mud will suck any wading shoes off of stocking foot waders, make it difficult to clean gear afterwards. I've some people wearing snowshoes to get to the channels edge!
Old 09-14-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Wear the old boot waders. The mud will suck any wading shoes off of stocking foot waders, make it difficult to clean gear afterwards. I've some people wearing snowshoes to get to the channels edge!
The old rubber boot/nylon hip waders work good to get out to the channels. Expect the mud to be above the ankles but still well bellow mid calf. Look for tracks where others have walked out. Tracks are usually around a bank where you can get down to the lake bed easy enough.