Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-13-2016, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
Yes but try to convince the hounds men of that! At least not too many Cougars up in our area cat
I've never heard of any hounds getting caught in snares while running cats. I'm sure it has happened though !
Old 03-13-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I've never heard of any hounds getting caught in snares while running cats. I'm sure it has happened though !

Lol! I've heard they have a strong stance against trappers having a cougar harvest.

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 03-13-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Yeah, not too many, but we both know they are up here!
Cat

Swore I saw tracks out back abasand few years ago! My buddy saw one cross the highway about 40 km south of town

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 03-13-2016, 07:56 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=sage 13;3170781]Huh no answers to anything I ask , just insults and smart ass comments, but you want me to answer your questions.
Sure I will give some thoughts. Leg holds, now I no most will be crying there to hard to use, cost to much money, have to be checked to often. Then certain people will have to be hired to do it full time and be able to go on any registered line, this will probably have other trappers made for they don't want others on there line.
Snares could also possible be used by the right people in the right situations but it would also have to be full time. Not set out on baits and left for a week or two at a time in hopes something comes along. Put out only when wolves are hitting the bait or better yet on a kill then removed.
Theres a couple thoughts.

Maybe take another run at it.

I'd suggest before you comment anymore you take the ATA Course or spend some time actually with one of the trappers targeting wolves. Too late for this season but you can catch the start of the next one.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
It's pretty self explanatory.... You have no clue about trapping
Looks like nube explained it for me.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
WTF ???

Did I miss my buddy Raven Lunatic ? I mean Rabbit Snarer ? I mean old Dwight again ?

That was an exceptionally short visit !!! didn't even have a chance to say hello
Fishing for info to write his next BS letter so it can get blown Up by social media.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Lol! I've heard they have a strong stance against trappers having a cougar harvest.
I know quite a few hound guys marks and I've never heard that from any of them. Maybe the guys in the south are more vocal about it. Not sure.

Either way they will be a tuff animal to try and target, if we did ever get a quota.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
I know quite a few hound guys marks and I've never heard that from any of them. Maybe the guys in the south are more vocal about it. Not sure.

Either way they will be a tuff animal to try and target, if we did ever get a quota.

The houndsmen I have talked to in the Sundre area aren't in favour of a trapping quota for cougars.

Most of the trappers down here just want to see the by-catches and problem cougars utilized for their resource not incinerated.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
The houndsmen I have talked to in the Sundre area aren't in favour of a trapping quota for cougars.

Most of the trappers down here just want to see the by-catches and problem cougars utilized for their resource not incinerated.
Utilizing the incidentally caught animals certainly makes more sense then what they are currently doing.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Swore I saw tracks out back abasand few years ago! My buddy saw one cross the highway about 40 km south of town
In 1978 Pat Shott told me he saw one across the bridge to nowhere , and we saw some racks during the Albion construction .

I know if one that was killed up in the Sthabasca several years ago, and another about 100 miles south of town.

Another friend and his wife spotted on up on the Clearwater by Greentree , and there have been two sightings with pictures in lower Thickwood in the last two winters .
So yup, they are up here!
Cat
Old 03-13-2016, 09:45 AM
Banned

Sage 13 , That,s IT ???
I believe you have answered everyone,s question on here !
I rest my case!
Old 03-13-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Wolves are smart Sage ! Way smarter then cats are and they are tough to catch. Areas where they are starving or tough winters make it easier but not a slam dunk.

Yes you can leghold them successfully, and consistently but it costs big dollars. I love catching theme this way but it's not cost effective.

Snaring or poison is the only way to effectively kill them cheaply. Personally I'd rather hang then be poisoned, but that's just me. The government tasks us trappers with helping to control the wolf population, on our Traplines at least. We do what we can but can only operate within our legal limits.

Again back to snaring being the only effective way to kill them. Trying to predict when the wolves will be there so you can set a couple days before then pull right after is impossible. I've had snares sit empty for 50-60 days before a pack came back through an area and I've had them come the next day. Hard to predict what a pack animal with a huge home range will do.

As for aerial gunning the cost works out to $2,000 per wolf from what the bios reported. Give us trappers 2K per wolf and I know one area that will see a serious decline

As for the cats being caught, if the numbers are consistently as high as they say they are, we have a cat problem. With the 125 or so a year being shot by hunters and all the problem ones that F&W kills, plus whats being trapped incidentally we should be seeing a decline.
But the numbers are steadily climbing across the board. Likely time to kill a few more.
TD good post, yes wolves can be smart but they do a lot of things people say they don't, they are also made a lot smarter or become more educated by poor trapping or missed catches.
Like I mentioned I realize the cost thing that's why I said certain people should be hired to do it and paid to do it.
Im definatly against poison. Yes snaring can be affective as I also mentioned if done by the right people, and way better to catch multiple wolves out of a pack but also to many non-target catches IMO. One older guy I no pre baits but does not set till the target animals are coming in. Yes this takes time why I again said people should be hired to do it and be out there full time. It is easier to try and catch them where they go then just hoping they will go there.
Aerial gunning may cost a lot but if the pack is caught in the right area a good chance of taking out more. The people I no that have done it in the past were all ready there so I guess not concerned about the cost.
I hear that from quit a few trappers pay us a bounty and we will trap more
why do they have to be paid more especially when they keep complaining that there is to many wolves out there if they don't want to do it let those in that do or as I said hire those that will but they must be able to go in where ever which will be on others registered lines.
If cat numbers are to high why not push to have the zone quotas increased and let hunters take more.
I do not agree with the cats been destroyed so will ask again have any of you gone to F&W and proposed an offer to skin the cats for them so they could be sold and have the money go back into wildlife enhancement or some thing along those lines.

Last edited by sage 13; 03-13-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:54 AM

[QUOTE=martinnordegg;3171013]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
Huh no answers to anything I ask , just insults and smart ass comments, but you want me to answer your questions.
Sure I will give some thoughts. Leg holds, now I no most will be crying there to hard to use, cost to much money, have to be checked to often. Then certain people will have to be hired to do it full time and be able to go on any registered line, this will probably have other trappers made for they don't want others on there line.
Snares could also possible be used by the right people in the right situations but it would also have to be full time. Not set out on baits and left for a week or two at a time in hopes something comes along. Put out only when wolves are hitting the bait or better yet on a kill then removed.
Theres a couple thoughts.

Maybe take another run at it.

I'd suggest before you comment anymore you take the ATA Course or spend some time actually with one of the trappers targeting wolves. Too late for this season but you can catch the start of the next one.
Not into taking another trapping course at this time.
Still waiting for any answers to questions.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:07 AM

Default Sage 13

You had several questions answered and apparently you didn't like any of them, it's looks like you can't be pleased, so why try anymore.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
TD good post, yes wolves can be smart but they do a lot of things people say they don't, they are also made a lot smarter or become more educated by poor trapping or missed catches.
Like I mentioned I realize the cost thing that's why I said certain people should be hired to do it and paid to do it.
Im definatly against poison. Yes snaring can be affective as I also mentioned if done by the right people, and way better to catch multiple wolves out of a pack but also to many non-target catches IMO. One older guy I no pre baits but does not set till the target animals are coming in. Yes this takes time why I again said people should be hired to do it and be out there full time. It is easier to try and catch them where they go then just hoping they will go there.
Aerial gunning may cost a lot but if the pack is caught in the right area a good chance of taking out more. The people I no that have done it in the past were all ready there so I guess not concerned about the cost.
I hear that from quit a few trappers pay us a bounty and we will trap more
why do they have to be paid more especially when they keep complaining that there is to many wolves out there if they don't want to do it let those in that do or as I said hire those that will but they must be able to go in where ever which will be on others registered lines.
If cat numbers are to high why not push to have the zone quotas increased and let hunters take more.
I do not agree with the cats been destroyed so will ask again have any of you gone to F&W and proposed an offer to skin the cats for them so they could be sold and have the money go back into wildlife enhancement or some thing along those lines.
Sage the comment about paying us more is because these Traplines are businesses. It's very difficult to force a business owner to sell a product at a loss, in fact it doesn't happen. Wolves are much the same. If it costs me $2,000 in fuel, let alone my time to go out and trap just a few wolves I'm losing money each year I do it.
Take nube's situation with his mangy wolves, 8 out of 10 were useless. That's not his fault, just the way it goes sometimes. Now he still did the ungulates in his area some good, but his business lost money on the deal. If the province was subsidizing us at least he wouldn't have lost money.
Now to hire a "Professional" to come on all our lines and take care of the problem would also cost a fortune. How much per day would you pay a team to snare wolves full time ? (Leg holding them would be out of the question due to the vast area they would have to cover)
Haul and maintain 40-50 bait stations across thousands of square miles and who would skin theses wolves ? Or would they just get disposed of like the cougar ?

The province already has hundreds of volunteers (basically) in place. Utilizing us to do the job required only makes sense. But if it costs us a few hundred in fuel plus a couple days of our time, plus 6-8 hours of skinning to make $300 gross on a wolf it just doesn't pay. I say $300 because although we do get some high dollar tanable furs, lots are just trim.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:03 AM

Please post the reports of pets being trapped in the past 5 years so we can review those trapping practices. Also you may have not heard bill talk with the cbc the link is posted above. When F&W have to kill 14 problem cougars and trappers accidentally trap some during a very mild winter that would lead a reasonable person to believe that there are more cougars around. The kick in the nuts is the F&W treat these animals like a found firearm they burn them. Why not get them processed and market them to museums or public. I was taught that if you killed animal it is your responsibility to use that animal to its fullest.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Sage the comment about paying us more is because these Traplines are businesses. It's very difficult to force a business owner to sell a product at a loss, in fact it doesn't happen. Wolves are much the same. If it costs me $2,000 in fuel, let alone my time to go out and trap just a few wolves I'm losing money each year I do it.
Take nube's situation with his mangy wolves, 8 out of 10 were useless. That's not his fault, just the way it goes sometimes. Now he still did the ungulates in his area some good, but his business lost money on the deal. If the province was subsidizing us at least he wouldn't have lost money.
Now to hire a "Professional" to come on all our lines and take care of the problem would also cost a fortune. How much per day would you pay a team to snare wolves full time ? (Leg holding them would be out of the question due to the vast area they would have to cover)
Haul and maintain 40-50 bait stations across thousands of square miles and who would skin theses wolves ? Or would they just get disposed of like the cougar ?

The province already has hundreds of volunteers (basically) in place. Utilizing us to do the job required only makes sense. But if it costs us a few hundred in fuel plus a couple days of our time, plus 6-8 hours of skinning to make $300 gross on a wolf it just doesn't pay. I say $300 because although we do get some high dollar tanable furs, lots are just trim.
Great Post TD .. As far as Im concerned , the guys on here that are catching wolves " are the professionals " . keep up your good work , too bad you arent being compensated for it .
Old 03-13-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Great Post TD .. As far as Im concerned , the guys on here that are catching wolves " are the professionals " . keep up your good work , too bad you arent being compensated for it .

That's the major problem. Most don't understand the effort, expense and time that goes into trapping wolves, properly skinning and prepping the fur! It is very time consuming for very little reward! I personally do it for the challenge as they are among the hardest animals to trap or snare!
Took me 4 years before I snared my first wolf last year! This year I managed 4 in snares. Lost 2 due to breakouts!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 03-13-2016, 12:53 PM
Banned

Sage 13 Lay your questions out one by one.when you receive an answer , tell us why it wont work.
AND suggest your way of resolving the situation ?
Example 1;How much sawdust would a wolf shyit if it ate a 2x4 four ft long?
2;Why did the chicken cross the road?
3;What came first chicken or an egg?
Remember Old coyote impression of the lot of us ?
Inbred,
uneducated, drunk !
etc .
And I,m wrong in bringing this up again because I forgave IT !
But IT did expose itself for what IT was ! enough said here.
To be honest guy,s Trying to convince someone with very little knowledge of this situation is beating our heads on the wall, We all fly at this person , like a flock of magpies at a dog .
Its a no win situation ! I,m as much to blame , I suppose we as trappers always hope someone can understand , but in reality it,s a hopeless case when the student is not willing to accept your experience!
Their mind is already made up based more on emotion than scientific fact,
Emotion runs deep and comes easy, science has to be worked at to
understand.
I would suggest we turn our attention to something else less divisive and ignore the futility of trying to convince him. I am done with this one !
Old 03-13-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
That's the major problem. Most don't understand the effort, expense and time that goes into trapping wolves, properly skinning and prepping the fur! It is very time consuming for very little reward! I personally do it for the challenge as they are among the hardest animals to trap or snare!
Took me 4 years before I snared my first wolf last year! This year I managed 4 in snares. Lost 2 due to breakouts!
In all honesty I do it for the enjoyment as well mark. The losses each year they occur from wolves are sometimes balanced by the gains of other species, sometimes they aren't. I'm not complaining about this at all.
But if the province was going to start paying "professionals" to come on mine and others Traplines to try and decrease the wolf population I would have a problem with it.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:22 PM

Don't think that would ever happen! They cannot afford to pay a full time wage for a wolf trapper, plus it would infringe on your rights as a rmfa holder! If they truly had an issue they would impose a small bounty but from what I have read they apparently don't work! Not that I agree with that! Maybe more trappers would try harder for wolves if there was a small incentive for the amount of work!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 03-13-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:

TD that's what I said the trappers wont do it for it costs to much so get someone that will. So many complain that there is a wolf problem and if they are increasing then it shows that the trappers aren't getting it done. Doesn't mean that there not good trappers its like you say its not worth it to them and the majority just do it as a hobby on weekends for that life style. It is not there full time occupation. Now in your other post you say you wouldn't want someone else on your line, if there to just take out wolves why would it be a problem, are wolves not the problem or is the problem that the government wont pay you guys a bounty.

As for the 8 out of 10 wolves being useless maybe you will answer the question. In Alberta is it legal to trap a wolf and then just leave it there if you feel the hide is no good.
Is it legal to bring the wolves home and then just throw them away with out utilizing any thing off them.
Also since what basically brought this all on what methods are being used or implemented to help in the decrease of non target animals (mainly cougar) in snares.
Thanks
Old 03-13-2016, 03:43 PM

Sage a lot of your question shave been answered. You are NOT listening as most anti type people do. You only want to hear what benefits you.....
Old 03-13-2016, 03:47 PM

Sage, if the hide is useless, there is nothing to salvage. Wolf steaks are tough.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
TD that's what I said the trappers wont do it for it costs to much so get someone that will. So many complain that there is a wolf problem and if they are increasing then it shows that the trappers aren't getting it done. Doesn't mean that there not good trappers its like you say its not worth it to them and the majority just do it as a hobby on weekends for that life style. It is not there full time occupation. Now in your other post you say you wouldn't want someone else on your line, if there to just take out wolves why would it be a problem, are wolves not the problem or is the problem that the government wont pay you guys a bounty.

As for the 8 out of 10 wolves being useless maybe you will answer the question. In Alberta is it legal to trap a wolf and then just leave it there if you feel the hide is no good.
Is it legal to bring the wolves home and then just throw them away with out utilizing any thing off them.
Also since what basically brought this all on what methods are being used or implemented to help in the decrease of non target animals (mainly cougar) in snares.
Thanks

As already mentioned by numerous people , your questions have been answered. The only problem is you are either to obtuse to listen or simply do not like the answer given. Non targets happen just as vehicle accidents happen! Of course nobody intends for them happen. So it seems like you are a broken record here and I got one am tired of reading your non sense! Don't bother replying cause I won't see it anyway, I will simply block you so that I no longer have to read and re read your same story over and over again! You are not a trapper and refuse to understand , you sound like an anti, talk like an anti and refuse to listen like an anti!! Good day to you and see ya!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 03-13-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Sage a lot of your question shave been answered. You are NOT listening as most anti type people do. You only want to hear what benefits you.....
Where
Old 03-13-2016, 04:07 PM

I'll answer once again:

1:By catches of cougar : let the trappers sell them instead of having to turn the in to be destroyed.

2:In t case of hiring outside contractors ( I refuse to call them "professionals" because every trapper is in fact a professional) that would cost far more than offering a bounty to resident or registered trappers.

Cat
Old 03-13-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Sage, if the hide is useless, there is nothing to salvage. Wolf steaks are tough.
Yes I get that, on the other thread it was stated the law says it cant be wasted.
Your representative on the radio says we utilize every thing we catch, don't like animals being wasted.
Im just asking if its legal to throw it away not just the carcass the whole thing.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I'll answer once again:

1:By catches of cougar : let the trappers sell them instead of having to turn the in to be destroyed.

2:In t case of hiring outside contractors ( I refuse to call them "professionals" because every trapper is in fact a professional) that would cost far more than offering a bounty to resident or registered trappers.

Cat
Ok so 1: change the law/regs so trappers can keep them, don't try and improve methods or prevent the catching of non-target animals.
2: I never did use the word professional. Pay trappers a bounty to get them to trap on there lines. Would hunters also be allowed a bounty since they don't own lines or is this what you mean by resident.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Yes I get that, on the other thread it was stated the law says it cant be wasted.
Your representative on the radio says we utilize every thing we catch, don't like animals being wasted.
Im just asking if its legal to throw it away not just the carcass the whole thing.
You are clueless.
There is nothing to utilize if it is mangy. What are you going to do? Skin out? All the hair will fall out anyway. The pelt can't be sold. The mange can be transferred to humans and pets. Also if a wolf or yote is killed with mange and thrown in a certain location the likelihood of spreading the mange is less because the critter isn't running all over the countryside.
We are our own worst enemy as sportsman. People like you look down their nose and condemn anything that they don't like. Let's hope that something you love isn't on the chopping block in the future because every single trapper/coyote hunter here will not come to your rescue.