Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-14-2016, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaha Tinda View Post
Wondering how registered trappers would receive someone baiting wolves on their line ?
Hunters do it now up here with no issues.
I don't see an issue with it actually as long as they are not disturbing traps and snares.
We bait coyotes on registered traplines up here as well as bears.
Cat
Old 03-14-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
You said you were a law abiding citizen and had it tanned any way for the law said it couldn't be wasted. Then the hair fell out and you were out $150 but could sleep better (something to that effect)
What did that all mean.
Martins right , trolls away , as this guy cant or wont understand .
Old 03-14-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I've had it happen in the past Yaha, not a big deal. The thing with residents baiting wolves is they almost always underestimate the amount of work it takes to actually be successful. When they get tired of all the work they usually move on. After they do I just set up snares on the bait, cut out some leg work for me.
If it was an outfitter they may stick with it a little longer, but in the end it would just pattern the wolves for me.
Now I would never set up snares on an active bait somebody was pouring their time and money into, but once they give up as far as I'm concerned it's fair game.
How would you determine when a bait has become inactive? Here baiting is allowed long after trapping season was closed. Wouldn,t you be infringing on the rights of a resident hunter by targeting their bait. Essentially disturbing their sets?
Old 03-14-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
How would you determine when a bait has become inactive? Here baiting is allowed long after trapping season was closed. Wouldn,t you be infringing on the rights of a resident hunter by targeting their bait. Essentially disturbing their sets?
You may be able to hunt on a registered line but you can't trap it.....
Old 03-14-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
You may be able to hunt on a registered line but you can't trap it.....
Are trapping and snaring synonymous?
Old 03-14-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
If that big S word means same, yes.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:36 AM

Guess I,m trapping someones line then eh.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
You mean someone's able to go on someone else's registered line and lay out snares? Did not know that... Interesting.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:58 AM

Guess I,m trapping someones line then eh

Quote:
You mean someone's able to go on someone else's registered line and lay out snares? Did not know that... Interesting.
Am I missing something here? Are you really trapping on a rmfa without a trapping license? Please expand I am quite confused.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
All residents and outfitters have to have proper signage on their bait sites, I just give them a call and ask what their plans are once the vehicle tracks become non existent. Everyone so far has said "I gave up"
Old 03-14-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:

Nope he has the right to hunt over his bait! A trapper has the right to trap his entire line all season long! A trapper could set snares anywhere he chooses. That would include the hunters bait site. No infringement! Just someone else doing the grunt work for the bait pile! Don't think it would happen in the line I trap as I seldom see other rec users out that way! And some trappers don't target wolves because of the poor return!

A hunter doesn't have "sets" they have a bait location and wherever they sit with a rifle. Seems like you are admitting to illegally trapping!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel

Last edited by mark-edmonton; 03-14-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
If that big S word means same, yes.

Lol

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 03-14-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:

If you don't have a trappers license you cannot trap or snare anything except rabbits! If you do have a trappers license then you are either a rmfa holder,a jr on the line or a resident trapper that must have a specific form signed by the land owner. Without any of these you are a poacher!

So which are you ?

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 03-14-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
Nope he has the right to hunt over his bait! A trapper has the right to trap his entire line all season long! A trapper could set snares anywhere he chooses. That would include the hunters bait site. No infringement! Just someone else doing the grunt work for the bait pile!
So, would it be safe to say a resident hunter could hunt over a bait dumped by a registered trapper?
Old 03-14-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
So, would it be safe to say a resident hunter could hunt over a bait dumped by a registered trapper?
Could be classified as interfering with his sets I'm thinking.
In the old days he would just been shot for doing it.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:09 PM

Good question and I'm not sure of the correct answer but I would suppose yes as long as he is not disturbing any traps or sets layed out by the trapper. That would include not shooting any animals already caught in snares or footholds.

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 03-14-2016, 03:48 PM

Mods are all over things now lol Great job mods. Appreciate all the time and effort spent on here
Old 03-14-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Safe to say or safe to do ? Big difference out in the bush
Old 03-14-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Mods are all over things now lol Great job mods. Appreciate all the time and effort spent on here

X2

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 03-14-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I don't know the true answer either but I'm sure a hunter sitting over a bait may deter some animals. Plus if a hunter wants to shoot a wolf the hunter would naturally put the bait out in a visible line of site. Example a frozen lake a large open cut block. The way I bait I put it in a real thick bush so I have lots to hang snares off of. If I were trapping and a fellow was sitting over one of my baits I would not be very happy.

But regardless

This all comes down to RESPECT which seems to be on a downward trend in the outdoors these days. IMO if you want to bait to shoot wolves contact the RMFA holder if you cannot contact him talk to the fish and wildlife and make them aware of the situation and the area.

If you talk to an active trapper he might be able to strike a deal with you. He might be an outfitter and want the wolves gone and tell you where they run. scratch my back I'll scratch yours.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Is this a serious question?

LC
Old 03-15-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
All residents and outfitters have to have proper signage on their bait sites, I just give them a call and ask what their plans are once the vehicle tracks become non existent. Everyone so far has said "I gave up"
Of the three baits I have found, none had the required signage. I see baiting wolves as a multi year project, lack of tracks to the bait means....nothing.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Of the three baits I have found, none had the required signage. I see baiting wolves as a multi year project, lack of tracks to the bait means....nothing.
You are very in-experienced to think that a bait site is a multiyear deal. Coyotes-yes. Wolves-good luck with that. I'm not going to get into wolf baiting with you, you clearly will not understand, or except what experience teaches IMO.

As for hunters baiting wolves on RFMA's, bring it on. Had this happen to me this year, worked like a charm for me. Said hunter brought in bait (which in this case was illegal, but myself and F&W came up with an agreement to leave it). I trapped wolves off their bait at a distance, didn't affect their hunt, they didn't effect my trapping, actually enhanced it.

Spruce
Old 03-15-2016, 09:33 AM

I have never run into a bait yet. I suspect it will be like Tork said and most guys will jump ship after finding out it isn't so easy. Read POPCAN's thread about it and what it took him to do it and how much time was spent.
I see it with bear hunters all the time. They get all excited and set their baits out in April and give up by May before it even gets good lol Difference with a wolf bait vs bear bait is you got to sit there the whole day not just in the evening like bear hunters. It is a long hard deal to kill a wolf on a bait.

I think if i found one on my line I would let them have their fun for a bit untill they are done and keep in contact with them. Set snares when you know your not going to tick someone off.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Well if they don't have signs up then it's an illegal bait site, as far as I'm concerned nobody owns it. Whether it's one year or multi years. And if you think just because you dump bait a couple times that it makes that site yours for years to come you're dreaming.

Keep in mind trappers don't mark our bait sites either, we're not required to.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:17 PM

Default Reverting lines back to the Crown

Pffffffftttt....

Best to go back and read some of what AEP has to say about the fury critters and how valuable they think they are to the average Albertan, alive. There would be no issues developing due to the lack of trapping. And I'd venture to say, a live viewing of a lynx is worth much more to Albertans than what a trapper would get for it's skin in China.

Tradition is a great thing and sustains many arguments against, however the recent greedy trend to ignore past traditions such as freely canoeing a creek (which is how the fur trade got started), or legally trapping for food indicates the tide many be turning or may need to be turned, through legislation.

With the possible exception of Coyotes which are very abundant, Albertans don't get to see Fishers, Marten, Lynx, Wolverine et al and it is possibly due to their seasonal harvests. Making a few dollars off of a natural resource is still taking from all Albertans and they may ultimately say, keep your pitiful royalty we want our furs in the woods for future generations to see alive.

Being verbally aggressive and threatening towards someone in opposition to your weekend/evening hobby does not read very with the educated public. Being defensive and closed off when discussing the topic with fellow outdoorsmen who may also be conservationists devalues them and all Albertans.

Veiled personal attacks, requesting and disclosure of personal information that is protected by law under both federal and provincial governments cannot possibly increase their support for your hobby. And it certainly will not give the non trapping Albertans nor Canadians a warm and fuzzy feeling, either.

The old boys would say to leave it in the woods and the public will never be the wiser to what is actually happening out there. I think the overpowering urge to get the information to the web and viewed these days will lead to a strong public resentment of your trapping, of my trapping.

Now, hunting these fur bearing critters would give all Albertans not only the chance to take one or two home but to see them interacting in their natural environment and some times that's pretty special just as it is.

Gonna need to see that hat....TD
Old 03-15-2016, 11:28 PM
Banned

News flash! There are federal and provincial parks throughout Alberta for current and future generations to view fur bearers and other critters.

Good luck organizing a fisher safari.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Pffffffftttt....

Best to go back and read some of what AEP has to say about the fury critters and how valuable they think they are to the average Albertan, alive. There would be no issues developing due to the lack of trapping. And I'd venture to say, a live viewing of a lynx is worth much more to Albertans than what a trapper would get for it's skin in China.

Tradition is a great thing and sustains many arguments against, however the recent greedy trend to ignore past traditions such as freely canoeing a creek (which is how the fur trade got started), or legally trapping for food indicates the tide many be turning or may need to be turned, through legislation.

With the possible exception of Coyotes which are very abundant, Albertans don't get to see Fishers, Marten, Lynx, Wolverine et al and it is possibly due to their seasonal harvests. Making a few dollars off of a natural resource is still taking from all Albertans and they may ultimately say, keep your pitiful royalty we want our furs in the woods for future generations to see alive.

Being verbally aggressive and threatening towards someone in opposition to your weekend/evening hobby does not read very with the educated public. Being defensive and closed off when discussing the topic with fellow outdoorsmen who may also be conservationists devalues them and all Albertans.

Veiled personal attacks, requesting and disclosure of personal information that is protected by law under both federal and provincial governments cannot possibly increase their support for your hobby. And it certainly will not give the non trapping Albertans nor Canadians a warm and fuzzy feeling, either.

The old boys would say to leave it in the woods and the public will never be the wiser to what is actually happening out there. I think the overpowering urge to get the information to the web and viewed these days will lead to a strong public resentment of your trapping, of my trapping.

Now, hunting these fur bearing critters would give all Albertans not only the chance to take one or two home but to see them interacting in their natural environment and some times that's pretty special just as it is.

Gonna need to see that hat....TD
I think you posted this on the wrong thread.

Not trying to take away from your rant !!!

Say do you know a guy named Dwight ???
Old 03-16-2016, 12:16 AM
Banned

It looks like you fellas had an entertaining week.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
It looks like you fellas had an entertaining week.
It was one heck of a week Dave!