Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-27-2017, 08:06 AM

Default Why do people ice fish?

I've wondered about this for a very long time so to-day I'm asking people who know. In the summer you can drive your boat around and fish all parts of the lake, and it's not cold. When ice fishing you have one spot and there is no casting so the fish have to find you.

Did I mention drilling holes through ice thick enough to support trucks.

The cold that will freeze a man solid in 30 minutes.

I never really heard about ice fishing until I was an adult, a fellow used to rent ice huts on lake Erie, they were very nice, stoves, T.V's and carpet over the floor (it covered the hole in the ice. So the experience wouldn't have been anything like what I read here.

I'm sure there are lots of good reasons, I just don't know what they are.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:12 AM

For those without boats this is the only time they can explore a lake.
Fishing is fun 365 days a year
Some of the biggest fish get caught through the ice

There’s a lot of reasons!
Old 12-27-2017, 08:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I've wondered about this for a very long time so to-day I'm asking people who know. In the summer you can drive your boat around and fish all parts of the lake, and it's not cold. When ice fishing you have one spot and there is no casting so the fish have to find you.

I never really heard about ice fishing until I was an adult, a fellow used to rent ice huts on lake Erie, they were very nice, stoves, T.V's and carpet over the floor (it covered the hole in the ice. So the experience wouldn't have been anything like what I read here.

If you have to ask you'll never understand. I look forward to hard water season more than I do open water.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:24 AM

Ice fishing is therapeutic for the mind and sole. Its a great time to get together with family and friends on the ice and have fun. Cook some hot dogs and catch fish .
Old 12-27-2017, 08:28 AM

Default Meegs lures

Found them on utube and trying to find a store that carries these lures!!! Anyone can help? Calgary area
Old 12-27-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
If you have to ask you'll never understand. I look forward to hard water season more than I do open water.
X2
Old 12-27-2017, 08:49 AM

Well there are 2 kinds of ice fishing really, there is the kind where you set up tip ups and hang out with your friends and family, BBQ some food or cook over a fire, play on the ice and wait for a flag to go up. It's a great way of getting together. The other kind is fishing in a shack, you're more focused on the fishing aspect there and in many instances you have the same appeal of flyfishing as you see the fish come into view of your hole and take your hook. You can still hang out with friends but fishing is the focus at least when you're fishing. I guess there is one more that I generally don't go for but hang out in the shack and drink, heavily.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:53 AM

Less crap to haul out. Auger, ice spoon, rods, maybe tent/sled. Lot easier than dealing with a boat.

Best time to catch perch as you can easily fish ultra light gear straight down.

In the end, its something to do outside. I don't get why guys drive hundreds of miles for birds, especially ones that don't taste as good as a head shot ruffie. But to each their own, outside is always better than inside.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:14 AM

Because I'd go crazy during the winter if I didn't have something to do
Old 12-27-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawjacker View Post
Ice fishing is therapeutic for the mind and sole. Its a great time to get together with family and friends on the ice and have fun. Cook some hot dogs and catch fish .
I agree. Sitting in a warm tent with the white noise of a heater and flasher is very meditational for me. Want to clear your mind from the cra[ of the outside world? Try ice fishing. It's a great way to enjoy the outdoors during the short days of winter.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:57 AM

It’s a good break from the stress of kids hockey. Lol
Old 12-27-2017, 09:59 AM

If I go after whitefish, it's a family outing lol. Nothing like staring down a hole and having fish slide in(especially a big pike head). Game on. I much prefer sight fishing vs going deeper and not seeing your hook. Tents and tip ups, a fun day. Unless it's White fish, most frustrating fish for me, come in, tap my hook, come in, swallow hook, swim away....me
Old 12-27-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
Because I'd go crazy during the winter if I didn't have something to do
Same here
Old 12-27-2017, 10:02 AM

Nothing beats a warm winter day...sun on your face...kids catching their first fish all around you. Moving to fish another spot just involves a walk and a new hole. You can wander and chat with anyone. Advice is usually freely given. One can share their jerky while counting fish. It can be competitive or helping all at the same time. I have helped a group of women from China catch fish for the first time...an online buddies mom from Texas walk on ice for the first time. A kid in a wheel chair catch tons of perch. Or if you want...close the tent flap...remove the world from though and just fish with a blank mind.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-27-2017, 10:48 AM

I own a canoe and that is the one and only watercraft that I use. A canoe doesn't get me around big water, especially when the wind is up.

It's hard to fish deep water without a sizeable boat and downrigging gear.

I love cruising around in my canoe and fishing but I fish way more on the ice.....because:

I can fish anywhere on any lake in Alberta, at any depth in the water column;

Cold is not prohibitive when you have a tent and a heater;

Drilling as many holes as you want is not prohibitive with a power auger.

I've got all the kit: 2 Tents and flooring, power auger, jet sled XL, Sunflower heater, flasher, chairs..............nowhere near as expensive as a boat/motor/trailer/downrigger but I can fish in 150' of water from on top of the ice and see my swivel at the bottom and any fish in the column from top to bottom.............all from the comfort of a heated tent.

That's why I ice fish!
Old 12-27-2017, 11:08 AM

Watch this, unlike any ice fishing I've done:

Crazy Girl Ice Fishing
Old 12-27-2017, 11:43 AM

You have to have a love and passion for fishing. If you do, anytime is a good time to fish except for maybe in the windiest of conditions either by boat or on ice. Ice opens up the back country to exploration. Not all lakes have boat access but you can get to them by ski Doo or quad or maybe even just drive the truck out. Whitefish for example are difficult to target in a boat unless all the stars are aligned. They become very accessible to target in winter. In winter you can even target very small and specific spots on a spot which is much more difficult from a boat. It might only be a spot the size of your kitchen table but you can sit over top of it with 2 lines I might add unlike summer boat fishing which limits you to a single line in the water. On Lesser Slave you can keep 2 x Walleye in winter instead of only one in summer. Also from a stationary position with a camera you can study and learn from reactions of fish to your presentations with your own eyes which is essential to developing experience that can be used in all seasons.
There are many more reasons but probably the best reason is that it is just plain good outdoor fun with the chance to perhaps catch the biggest specimen of the year in your targeted species. Good luck!
Old 12-27-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
X2 Hard water is better then open water.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:11 PM

While I won't go as far as saying ice fishing is "better" than open water fishing (I think both are awesome), it is definitely good therapy. Something about the solitude gives you time to think and reflect if you're alone. You can clear up a troubled consciousness pretty easily out there, and its even better when you are able to spend time with others. Just talk about what ever, warm your hands on some fresh hot chocolate. Great bonding time.

Sitting in water less than 20 feet deep and sight fishing is also another nice benefit, most lakes around here get pretty cloudy in the summer so its difficult to sight fish. There's something really exciting about watching how a fish reacts to your lure, and trying to tease it into biting.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:13 PM

I normally ice fish the early to mid season.. get really board and stop for the rest of the season. Forcing myself to go all season this year. I heard late season is Burbotpolloza
Old 12-27-2017, 01:27 PM
Banned

This
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (42.2 KB, 146 views)
Old 12-27-2017, 01:41 PM

The misses and I enjoy ice fishing and have all the cold weather garb, tent, heater etc. But we aren’t die hards by any means and enjoy late seasonice fishing on days that are above zero...

Old 12-27-2017, 02:20 PM

Icefishing allows you to sight fish, which I prefer to trolling or any other method of open water fishing. Also when you are fighting a fish by pulling bare line instead of cranking on a reel it just feels like a harder fight.

Icefishing can also be a lot more social of an experience. You can get way more guys out on hardwater than you can fit into a boat.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post

Why do people hunt pheasants?

Why do people hunt ducks?

Why do people hunt big game?

We do it because we enjoy it! We do it because we are sportsmen and sports women. We do it because we are conservationists. We do it because we enjoy the outdoors, the sport of fishing and the people we meet or just the solitude.

BW
Old 12-27-2017, 02:45 PM

1. it gets me out of the house in the winter
2. I can explore parts of the lake without the expense of a boat
3. fish taste better in the winter IMO
4. greater chance of being alone on the lake
5. I work shutdowns March to October
Old 12-27-2017, 06:56 PM

Because hunting season is over and you can’t open water fish.

If I had my druthers I would be open water fishing instead. But something needs to scratch the itch!

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 12-27-2017, 07:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Because hunting season is over and you can’t open water fish.

If I had my druthers I would be open water fishing instead. But something needs to scratch the itch!
Im so glad there is a spring goose hunt now info Alberta. I won't be at home driving my wife crazy for 2 months now between fishing seasons lol.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:11 PM

Ice fishing : Making the best of a bad situation (winter)
Old 12-27-2017, 08:33 PM

I look forward to ice fishing as soon as the ice melts. Something about sitting there on the ice just does it for me. Since I bought a camera I have learnt so much about different specifies of fish,there attitude with lures and all these times I thought these lakes were all dried up or I was never in the right spot....nope the fish just sit there and watch is usually what was happening lol.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:42 AM

I go ice fishing to catch fish, it's that simple.