Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-01-2018, 09:23 AM

Default Ocean shore fishing set up

Hey guys hopefully this is a slightly warmer topic! Haha i wanted to pick your brains on a few things for fishing the ocean from shore. (I already have a lighter set up thats a blast and a slightly heavier rapala travel 9’ set up that seems very light to me)

Im looking for a good generic set up that would let me throw and properly work a decent sized hook from shore, or even double as a makeshift surf rod if need be to as a minor side bar. I was going to buy a 10 ft heavy rod from wholesale but didnt because it only breaks down in half and i cant carry it on the plane which would be my preference.

As for the reel i picked up a fin nor 60 which is a cheaper reel meant for saltwater but it has an ipt (inches per turn) at 37” and i dont think thats fast enough to work some of the hooks i wanted to use properly.

And hooks - they are a topwater style that i have used before that bounce along the surface on the ocean but i have no idea what theyre called or where to get them. Ive used a couple different types; one that you reel super fast with, and another that you work to get some noise and splashes.

I know its a long post but any help is appreciated with any of the items if you have found a good generic outfit that you get by on. Mostly looking for jacks, barracuda, rooster fish, permit - or whatever else may be in range off of the shore mostly in mexico.

Ps happy new years boys

Thanks!
Old 01-01-2018, 09:55 AM

I would say any 10 foot the breaks down to 4 pieces would work. If you want warranty go with a St Croix Triumph Surf Travel rods in a four-piece travel model. Can't go wrong with them.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-01-2018, 11:17 AM

Best saltwater spinners are the Daiwa BG's. You can get a 5000 size for about 135 bucks from Amazon.ca. As far as rods go any 4 pc as long as it is rated for 10-30 lb.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:08 PM

Search out mexico shore fishing rod. we discussed this extensively there.http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...mexico+fishing
Old 01-01-2018, 01:53 PM

Shore fishing in Mexico or say Costa Rica is all about the bait...find the bait fish and all the other predators will be around. Having said that the time of year you go is key! When we are all suffering from frostbite in the winter months the fish down there are in most cases off from the beaches so you need a set-up that can chuck your lure out to them...10'+ rods! From late May to October the bait fish are pushed tight to shore so a 7' Walleye set-up will work just fine, the only down side is it's tough to turn a good fish with a smaller rod! General rule of thumb down there is fishing off rocks and especially rocky points will produce Summer or Winter, were the beaches get better closer to Summer! Regardless of when you go it's a blast and I'd rather walk 5 miles of beach and rocks than drill holes in ice any day...
Old 01-01-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moefoe View Post
...Regardless of when you go it's a blast and I'd rather walk 5 miles of beach and rocks than drill holes in ice any day...
You got that right !!!!
Old 01-02-2018, 10:32 AM

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:19 PM

The sexy fish, typically are not in the surf in the winter, but that said you can still have fun.

Bait always works , basically a pickerel rig (or a proper bottom rig : ) ) , shrimp or squid and at least on the west coast of Mexico 2-3oz of sinker.

Where ever you go look at the fishing calendar it should give a bit of an idea of what is around.

One lure I would have a lot of is a 1- 2oz deadly dick or cast master , they are the 5'o diamonds in the surf.