Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-02-2018, 08:07 AM

Default Jiffy Pro4 issues

I have a Jiffy Pro4 Auger, which has worked well over the last few years but this year it is bogging out when drilling. It starts find and runs fine but as soon as you get to drilling it has very little power. Not sure if anyone else is having issues with this or if there is any ideas out there on how to fix it.

Just looking for advise on how to fix it, not looking for what auger I should buy instead.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:33 AM

Bad gas over the summer and gummed up carb? Run some Sea Foam additive through it. If it's not too bad, should clear a lot of it out. Throw a new spark plug in too.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:20 AM

I was having the same problem with mine. I took it into the Lawnmower Hospital in Edmonton and they told me that my auger was pooched. They said that the cylinders were all scored up and the motor could no longer produce enough power under load. They said it would not be worth fixing...
Old 01-02-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostew View Post
I was having the same problem with mine. I took it into the Lawnmower Hospital in Edmonton and they told me that my auger was pooched. They said that the cylinders were all scored up and the motor could no longer produce enough power under load. They said it would not be worth fixing...
Yikes. Hopefully that isn't the case.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:25 PM

Also check the fuel diaphragm. A few years back I had what sounds like the same problem.

In the end, I ordered a new diaphragm as it had a small pin sized hole in it and wouldn't create a strong enough seal to create the vacuum to run enough fuel to the carb.

I remember it being a $10 fix and 10 or so years later, my jiffy is still running strong!
Old 01-02-2018, 07:04 PM

Sounds like the clutch. Had to replace mine a few years back.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:18 PM
Banned

My buddy ran jiffy’s for his ice fishing business for 20+ years and never bought any but the original pair and they saw a ton of use. He used to have a ton of spare parts. 99% of the time when they did what yours is doing it was a matter of a simple carb kit fix, usually the diaphragm and away they went again. I can’t imagine how many holes that pair of augers drilled with 14-15 shacks to do daily for 3 months a year over 20+ years. Jiffy makes tough augers! Funniest moment I saw was the day he punched a hole and when he lifted the powerhead free of the slush pile thats all there was. The bolt holding the auger blade had come undone and fallen out unnoticed while drilling Timing must have been perfect when the bolt fell free for when the auger broke through the bottom of the hole it headed to bottom at full throttle in 36’ of water! Lol

Last edited by The Spank; 01-02-2018 at 09:30 PM.