Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-02-2018, 01:10 PM

Default Barbed Hook Question

I used to fish a lot pre 2010, i remember it being illegal to use barbed hooks & you had to crimp them, in the last 8 years I've been fishing maybe twice. I can't seem to find it in the regulations if you're allowed to fish with or without barbed hooks?
Old 01-02-2018, 01:15 PM

Currently you can use barbs now.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 01-02-2018, 01:26 PM

Another one of the many experiments the Alberta government has done with a big fail. Its almost like their throwing the brown stuff against a wall hoping it sticks lol. Hilarious to say the least.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:03 PM

I was quite surprised as well when this became legal to do again. I continue to pinch mine back though,much easier getting the hook out.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:31 PM

The Alberta law was the one that was illegal. There is a Canadian law that trumped the Alberta barbless law and therefore Alberta had to stop enforcing it.

There used to be a short "blurb" in the regulations explaining what happened and the wish from the Alberta Fisheries for anglers to continue to use barbless hooks. Haven't seen it in a few years but I haven't looked for it either.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:01 PM

Barbed hooks are legal.

I use both barbed and barbless depending on the application.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Barbed hooks are legal.

I use both barbed and barbless depending on the application.
x2 Definitely a market for both.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:50 PM

Nice being able to have the choiceIf I'm keeping them toward a limit I use barbed and if fishing just to catch and release then barbs are crushed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2018, 09:01 PM

I crush all my barbs 100% of the time. Don't notice as much of difference in landing ratio as you'd expect, but they're a real pain to take out of fish, fingers, clothes, dogs, etc

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 01-02-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
I crush all my barbs 100% of the time. Don't notice as much of difference in landing ratio as you'd expect, but they're a real pain to take out of fish, fingers, clothes, dogs, etc
As well as anchor ropes and fish nets!
Old 01-03-2018, 09:53 AM

It was in effect from 2004-2011. A federal government amendment to the Alberta Fishery Regulations accidentally omitted barbless requirements. It has never been reinstated, and so barbed hooks are legal.

From My Wild Alberta

Barbless Hooks
Jul 21, 2015

The Government of Alberta is asking Alberta’s anglers to keep barbed hooks out of our waters.

Last fall, an inadvertent federal amendment to the Alberta Fishery Regulations removed the barbed hook ban. The omission was not immediately noted and has affected about 600 Albertans who were ticketed for using barbed hooks.

Officials from Alberta Environment and Parks and Justice and Solicitor General are working to rectify the problem by withdrawing charges and reversing wrongful convictions and fines for those individuals affected since September 2011.

We’re working with the Government of Canada to determine the appropriate next steps as we consider the current lack of a barbed hook ban.

In the meantime, we encourage Alberta’s anglers to continue to use barbless hooks and remember that we are promoting proper handling techniques for all fish to best ensure their survival once released.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 01-03-2018, 06:37 PM

I crush my barbs...I've had to push a rapala treble hook through may leg before, ever since I have crushed the barbs lol.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:40 PM

I'll bet that it reverts back to barbless this year & Tiger trout will be a regognised fish in Alberta.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearson View Post
I crush my barbs...I've had to push a rapala treble hook through may leg before, ever since I have crushed the barbs lol.
OUCH! I caught a brown trout a few years back with a F7 Rainbow and when trying to take the hook out the tail treble caught my finger so I had one hook the fish had the other in my finger. Had to let the guy go after that.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
I'll bet that it reverts back to barbless this year & Tiger trout will be a regognised fish in Alberta.
lawd make it so

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 01-03-2018, 09:52 PM

I like barbs. If I stick myself it's my problem, if I catch them in a rope or a net or a hornets nest.......it's my problem.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorealBucks View Post
I used to fish a lot pre 2010, i remember it being illegal to use barbed hooks & you had to crimp them, in the last 8 years I've been fishing maybe twice. I can't seem to find it in the regulations if you're allowed to fish with or without barbed hooks?
From what i heard it was never illegal to use barbs. It was a law the fish cops were trying to pass at the time, and they were enforcing it with out it being part of the regulations.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief_Pounderhard View Post
From what i heard it was never illegal to use barbs. It was a law the fish cops were trying to pass at the time, and they were enforcing it with out it being part of the regulations.

I think you are correct. I was actually ticketed for a barb hook 6 or so years ago (wasn't pinched down well enough for fish cop...) and paid my ticket. Couple years later I got a cheque in the mail full refund and a letter explaining that they were refunding all tickets between such and such date.

I find depending on the situation I use both; usually barbless though.