Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-14-2007, 08:40 AM

Default Would You Like To Be Able To Use A Dog To Track A Wounded Deer?

Now it hasn't happen to me as of yet, but there are some hunters I am sure that lost the blood trail and couldn't find the the big game animal they shot at. So here the animal is left to die and rot away, unless the wolves or coyotes or some other meat eating animal comes by and feasts on this dead animal.

Worst yet is for one of us to come by a rotting deer, moose or some other big game animal. Man it can make your insides turn.

I would think that a use of a dog may cut down on this sort of thing from happening...............whats are your thoughts on the subject?
Old 07-14-2007, 11:32 AM
Gone Hunting

Default dogs

I think it would be a good idea. We use them for birds. I wouldn't hunt birds without a dog.

Not sure, but I think it is like nearly every other regulation, designed to prevent a few from abusing it by restricting the rest of those who would not.

It's like the regs restricting non residents from hunting coyotes in Sask.
It isn't there to protect the local fur skinning industry or because coyote numbers are down, according to game wardens I spoke with it is because there was a concern that a non resident would hunt deer under the pretext of hunting coyotes So a poacher would buy a coyote license when he poaches deer????????

I think there is a concern that hunters would run deer, moose, etc with dogs..............instead of pickup trucks.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:39 AM
stubblejumper

I would be for it if the dog is required to be on a leash.That way,it can still find the wounded animal,with no risk of it chasing big game.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Gone Hunting

I thought about that to Stubblejumper. but what about when you hunt from horseback. or walking for that matter. My bird dogs aren't leashed, in fact I really can't remember the last time they have even had a collar on.

Do you want to try to shoot with a dog attached to you? could get western.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:48 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
I thought about that to Stubblejumper. but what about when you hunt from horseback. or walking for that matter.
You can buy 50' retractable leashes.Remember the point of using the dog is to find mortally wounded deer which are usually dead when you find them.You can walk your horse or tie it up as you search for the animal.If the dog is allowed to run loose,the chance of it taking off after an uninjured game animal exists.On a lease,it isn't going to happen.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:28 PM

Default tracking

personally i would like to use a dog for tracking wounded bears, bears are so hairy and can soak up so much blood that alot of time you can only track by finding one drop of blood in a long distance. many hours are spent before the bear is found because we are all on our hands and knees,, its the law to not use dogs for tracking bears so we track until we find the bears, but do i think you shoudl be able to use a dog for tracking ,,,in my case yes absolutely.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:26 AM

Where I used to hunt you could get charged if you DIDN'T use your own TRAINED dog, or get somebody in that had a trained dog, to try and recover wounded game. Back in Europe that was... Same by the way for hunting waterfowl without a properly trained dog.

Back then, I started training my terrier to track wounded big game, and even at 6 months old she found a deer my cousin shot that had run into some thick spruce.

Frans
Old 12-22-2008, 09:39 AM

Do the regulations not say that all reasonable means must be made to recover a downed animal? Seems to me that if you can't find it, using a dog that can is reasonable.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:10 PM

I think the regs say that you cannot be accompanied by a dog while hunting big game.