Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2019, 10:49 AM

Default If only Alberta would do this... (heavy rec trailer licencing)..

Interesting..

https://globalnews.ca/news/5427413/w...r-this-summer/
https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensin...creational.pdf

It says ICBC only, but it also says they will require out of province drivers to have equivalent endorsements (which none currently exist).
Old 06-25-2019, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Interesting..

It says ICBC only, but it also says they will require out of province drivers to have equivalent endorsements (which none currently exist).
Haven't they already killed their tourism industry?

Take that Canadian economy.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
Haven't they already killed their tourism industry?

Take that Canadian economy.
lol..

It's only a course to re-enforce they're mandatory BC "speed up in the passing lane so no one can pass policy"
Old 06-25-2019, 11:42 AM

Default If only Alberta would do this... (heavy rec trailer licencing)..

What a horrible idea, we’ve all been to those “safety courses” that do nothing other than make you practice your signature on a laminated card that you will just tuck away in the back of your wallet.
It’s almost as useful as the some of the lunatics you see boating on the weekends with their Canadian Safe Boating License.

My 5wheel has weighed about 200 lbs over the 4600kg mark on longer trips so if I didn’t have my class 1 would that mean that I will have to get something like a class1 because that’s all Alberta has for trailer licensing? Anyone looked up what a class 1 costs a guy these days lol?
How do I take the 199$ B.C. code 7 endorsement course with my Alberta license?

Here’s the actual written law

B.C., California’s tree hugging little sister

Last edited by Half Pickereled; 06-25-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Interesting..

What a crock.... As quoted from the article "If the driver does not have the correct driver’s licence or driver’s licence endorsement, drivers could be in breach of their insurance in the event of a crash, according to ICBC."

and

"If the driver holds an out-of-province driver’s license, at a minimum they’ll still need to hold a licence that is equivalent to BC’s endorsement 7."

I'd like to see ICBC tell my Alberta insurance company to disallow my coverage in case of an accident because I do not hold a valid BC driver's license designation..... BC can kiss my patootie for all I care. Between this kind of thing and the BC Provincial Government playing hardball with Alberta oil, but then complaining about high gas prices and then needing Alberta oil....

I absolutely refuse to drop another penny in that province until changes are made. There is plenty of Alberta, Saskatchewan, Montana for me to see. In fact, just a couple of weeks ago I traveled through BC to get to Montana and didn't feel one bit of compassion for not spending a cent in BC - but Montana definitely earned some of my hard earned $.

For the record JB, my 30' 5th wheel has been wheeling behind me for the past 8 summers without incident. I have not ran anyone off the road, nor have I held anyone up that needed to get past me and speed down the highway. I'm not a danger on the road and I feel that most trailer owners would side with me when I state "ALBERTA DOESN'T NEED TO FOLLOW THIS COURSE OF ACTION!"

But then again, that's just my honest opinion....

J.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
For the record JB, my 30' 5th wheel has been wheeling behind me for the past 8 summers without incident. I have not ran anyone off the road, nor have I held anyone up that needed to get past me and speed down the highway. I'm not a danger on the road and I feel that most trailer owners would side with me when I state "ALBERTA DOESN'T NEED TO FOLLOW THIS COURSE OF ACTION!"

But then again, that's just my honest opinion....

J.
Jcraw, this isn't directed at you, but your post is a perfect example as to why we need more/better licencing. It's like the 80yo who has never been in a car accident, but drives 30kmhr everywhere and leaves a trail of distruction behind them. Never actually gets into an accident, but causes them. Like I said, I'm not saying this is you, but recertifying/training is desperately needed for all drivers. Going away from private testing was a good first step, but now they need to mandate retesting.

TBH, I agree, but more knowledge is better. The majority of RV owners do NOT do their homework, and end up with a dangerous unit, let's face it, it's obvious with almost every RV thread, how little knowledge people have on their own RV setups.

The one thing I like about BC is that they are enforcing traffic laws, specifically RV's. I've been thru multiple safety checkstops in BC and have friends who have been fined (or had to fix it roadside) for inproper setups/bad equipment/etc.

(I can't wait to see the horrible setups this weekend here in alberta).
Old 06-25-2019, 12:51 PM

We have regulation aplenty.
We don't need more.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:53 PM

I believe Alberta class 3 would be req'd to cover what they say in here, for over 4600 with hyd brake all round, for recreational heavy trailers. BC Class 1 is only req'd if the tractor or trailer has air brake. Haven't looked at that in about 35 yrs, but, seems AB class 3 requires an air brake body job vehicle for the practical? You could run to 33,000lbs here on a class 3 body job?

Last edited by 32-40win; 06-25-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
An Alberta class 3 would be req'd to cover what they say in here, for over 4600 with hyd brake all round. Class 1 is only req'd if the tractor or trailer has air brake.
Ever price out a hydraulic brake system for a travel trailer? I'm guessing that most RV owners would just state that they have a hydraulic system, but never put one on. You'd have to adapt the tow vehicle as well (unless you went with an electric/hydraulic setup) but then I'm not 100% sure that would pass your class 3 requirements on the trailer either?

I'm guessing that it's like Dewey says.... More government interference (taxes & license fees) to continue to line pockets. While the intention is to promote safety, the abundance of tax/license $funding that would come in is just joyous in the bean counters eyes.... There's no doubt that the intentions are good, but the practicality of it all is at a ridiculous level....

J.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:12 PM

BC government has to pay for stuff somehow..LOVE your cherries, Hate your government.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:26 PM

Ya, the electric brake vs hyd boundary part of it doesn't really get mentioned, it leaves a bit of a dark area there, if there is a boundary. Doesn't mention out of province licence that is not insured by ICBC though. Almost appears to be BC resident only.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:39 PM

I think it's a great idea.

Some of the worst driving I have seen and worst accidents I have seen have been at the hand of weekend warriors pulling their 5th wheels.

I've had my class 1 for years used to drive class 1 trucks to pay the bills. There would definitely be some value in requiring additional training for most of the 5th wheel haulers out there. I don't think it needs to be to the same degree as a class 1 or 3, but showing that you understand the limitations, safety checks, and being able to prove you have the skills to actually drive such a vehicle would be a plus for everyone on the highway.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:46 PM

Because you never see a semi in an accident...
Old 06-25-2019, 03:51 PM

I'd say I see fewer semi's driving like idiots on the highway than the weekend warriors who're pulling their 5th wheels for the third time that summer.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:11 PM

The problem is, a license isn't going to help dumb people. Every idiot driver you see on the road, well, almost all of them, has a license.

Seems to me to be a cash grab in the guise of safety.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittman View Post
I think it's a great idea.

Some of the worst driving I have seen and worst accidents I have seen have been at the hand of weekend warriors pulling their 5th wheels.

I've had my class 1 for years used to drive class 1 trucks to pay the bills. There would definitely be some value in requiring additional training for most of the 5th wheel haulers out there. I don't think it needs to be to the same degree as a class 1 or 3, but showing that you understand the limitations, safety checks, and being able to prove you have the skills to actually drive such a vehicle would be a plus for everyone on the highway.
Every RV driver should have to take a course on why you have over sized rear view mirrors on your truck and motorhome . Also why do you go into a 60km corner at 35Km and the speed up to 110Km on a straight stretch of highway while you straddle the center line so no one can safely pass you !!!!
Old 06-25-2019, 05:29 PM
Banned

Unreal you can’t regulate stupid, a license doesn’t stop you from blowing stop signs, I’ve seen red seal carpenters that couldn’t build a birdhouse, I’ve also seen so called class 1 drivers come in my yard and rip off my porch roof and run over my well with a super b grain semi who had no business being here, the semi driver in humbolt blew a stop sign so how does that curve stupidity, I pull my 5th wheel and boat and have no issues what’s so ever, licenses do nothing,
Old 06-25-2019, 06:23 PM

It’s just another tax that won’t do anything for safety other than employ driving instructors and test administrators (which we are already short of in AB). I’ve seen class 1 drivers with years of experience that couldn’t drive a sharp stick up a dog’s ass and I don’t know anyone that’s crashed an RV. Bad drivers are all over and they need to be specifically targeted rather than adding more regulations that the bad drivers won’t heed and the good drivers already follow. A Smith Driver training course would do more good for anyone who actually wants to be a better driver than this new licence requirement will.

Gerry Burnie
Old 06-25-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
BC government has to pay for stuff somehow..LOVE your cherries, Hate your government.
And the first of the cherries are just out now
Old 06-25-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Ya, the electric brake vs hyd boundary part of it doesn't really get mentioned, it leaves a bit of a dark area there, if there is a boundary. Doesn't mention out of province licence that is not insured by ICBC though. Almost appears to be BC resident only.
It does appear to be BC only.....and I didn't have a clue about this regulation.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjr View Post
Every RV driver should have to take a course on why you have over sized rear view mirrors on your truck and motorhome . Also why do you go into a 60km corner at 35Km and the speed up to 110Km on a straight stretch of highway while you straddle the center line so no one can safely pass you !!!!

Part of that course should be that the driver of said motor-home, be able to back up and park the RV without the partner helping them back up in to the stall
Old 06-25-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post

Part of that course should be that the driver of said motor-home, be able to back up and park the RV without the partner helping them back up in to the stall
Not just the Motorhome but also any truck pulling a trailer .
Remember the old saying about a sharp stick and a pigs ass .........