Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 09:29 PM

Angry No criminal charges for Lethbridge officer who euthanized injured deer with cruiser

This is a travesty. Original story and thread here:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ght=Lethbridge

https://calgarysun.com/news/crime/no...r-with-cruiser
Calgary Sun article by Zach Laing:

Quote:
A Lethbridge police officer who used his vehicle to euthanize a deer after it had been hit by a car will not face charges, a police watchdog said Wednesday.

On Jan. 5, a video shared online that later went viral showed the officer driving back and forth over the juvenile mule deer, which had significant injuries to its hindquarters.

The Alberta Serious Incident Response Team, which investigated the incident before determining no charges would be laid, said there was no perfect option when it came to disposing of the wounded animal.

“The reality is, if you’re euthanizing an injured animal, there’s not really a good or pretty way of doing it, other than by sedation,” ASIRT executive director Susan Hughson said.

The officer had numerous options available for euthanizing the deer, which included his service pistol, a baton or tactical knife, along with tactical weapons such as a Heckler & Koch MP5 gun, a Remington 870 12-gauge breaching shotgun and an Arwen less-lethal launcher.

The 15-minute video was filmed by a woman who had witnessed the collision between a vehicle and the deer.

“It was and remains profoundly distressing and heartbreaking to watch,” said Greg Gudelot, a lawyer with ASIRT. “It is unforgettable and impossible to unsee.”

Gudelot said the officer was concerned about a potential ricochet if he used one of his available firearms.

“The officer decided that the risk of a possible ricochet was too great, given nearby homes, apartments and vehicles driving in the area,” he said.

“He considered attempting to drag the deer to another location where he could safely use a firearm but felt this carried its own challenges, when what he wanted was to euthanize the deer as quickly and humanely as possible.”
The options left for the officer, ASIRT executive director Susan Hughson said, were to use his tactical knife, baton or the police vehicle.

“The firearm was not the option in this case. Having got an opinion from a firearms expert, at the end of the day, (when) the ricochet is a reasonable possibility, it is no longer an option. Period. Full stop,” Hughson said.

“There was no good solution. Of the options available, they were all bad — including let the animal die naturally.”

After the incident, the officer received death threats about his action.

“The death threats and extremely abusive comments directed at the officer have been difficult on him and his family,” Lethbridge police spokeswoman Kristen Harding said in a statement.

ASIRT said the officer did not contact Alberta Fish and Wildlife, although the on-call officer that night was located near Cardston — about 80 kilometres away.

Harding said officers in Lethbridge deal with roughly 100 calls regarding injured deer each year.

Hughson said there was no established protocol or practice requiring Lethbridge officers to access veterinary services to euthanize wildlife.

It was the first time ASIRT — assisted by Alberta Fish and Wildlife and the Alberta Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals — has investigated the death of an animal at the hands of an officer, Hughson said.

She said it’s hoped the incident can be viewed as a learning experience.

“(Recommendations are) not normally our practice, both the Crown and myself believe that maybe this case is an opportunity to examine how we, and law enforcement, engage wildlife,” she said.

“If a vet could euthanize the animal using a drug or tranquillizer of some sort, it would’ve been better than a police cruiser, tire iron or tactical knife. While the vehicle didn’t work out particularly well, quite frankly, I think it would’ve been worse to use a baton, tire iron or a knife.”

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 06-26-2019, 09:37 PM

Better not allow the officers to carry firearms in the city, if they can't safely use then to dispatch a deer laying on the ground without a danger of ricochet, they certainly wouldn't be able to use them without the risk of ricochet, when the stress levels are even higher, with their lives in danger.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:41 PM
Banned

And there shouldn’t be.

Was it the best option, probably not, but even letting it die naturally would have been wrong, or using his firearm, knife or baton.

Lessons learned and I’m sure the death threats this man received were a little far.

I wonder if this wasn’t a cop, but one of us (and maybe he is) would it have received the same attention and opinions.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
And there shouldn’t be.

Was it the best option, probably not, but even letting it die naturally would have been wrong, or using his firearm, knife or baton.

Lessons learned and I’m sure the death threats this man received were a little far.

I wonder if this wasn’t a cop, but one of us (and maybe he is) would it have received the same attention and opinions.
I would feel the same way regardless of who needlessly tortured an animal like he did, because he was too clueless to dispatch it in a humane manner. And in his case it would be perfectly legal for him to discharge his firearm in the city, whereas most people wouldn't have that option.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Better not allow the officers to carry firearms in the city, if they can't safely use then to dispatch a deer laying on the ground without a danger of ricochet, they certainly wouldn't be able to use them without the risk of ricochet, when the stress levels are even higher, with their lives in danger.
You may notice that with situations like that most police services have their own in house tactical team.
And yeah if there is a risk, you wouldn’t want them accidentally killing or hurting an innocent bystander.

People are stupid, they get told to move back, but continue to put their faces forward.
A cops job would be a lot easier without slack jawed mouth breathers, hanging around.

He chose the lesser of two evils and still gets persecuted for it.

Damn if you do
Damn if you don’t.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:50 PM

Gotta agree with ETOWNCANUCK on this one. Just cause he didn't know what he was doing doesn't mean he didn't at least try to do what was right. I see folk all the time who have no clue what they are doing but there are others who do nothing and I don't see that. So just by trying to do the right thing I'll give this fella a pass.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:50 PM
Banned

Ricochet This highly trained officer should know how to discharge his firearm without a ricochet, given he knows his surroundings DUH
Old 06-26-2019, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
I would feel the same way regardless of who needlessly tortured an animal like he did, because he was too clueless to dispatch it in a humane manner. And in his case it would be perfectly legal for him to discharge his firearm in the city, whereas most people wouldn't have that option.
Ok officer.

Can you please recite where in your regulations and policy and procedures that you are allowed that.

I would assume one that wears the uniform is aware of such things.

Just one more reason to bash the cops.

Has it been a week already?
Old 06-26-2019, 09:52 PM
Banned

I think they use Me, Myself and Irene as their training video...
Old 06-26-2019, 09:57 PM

I haven't seen the video, but here's my take.
Backing over its head isn't ideal, but he obviously didn't know what to do.
Better end for the deer than being slowly eaten alive by a pack of coyotes though.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:58 PM

The idiot shouldn't have a badge never mind a firearm. NO excuse for what he did. Trust me I know a few things on dispatching animals safely.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 06-26-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Ricochet This highly trained officer should know how to discharge his firearm without a ricochet, given he knows his surroundings DUH
Exactly! It's not rocket science to figure out how to use a firearm at close range, without presenting a danger of ricochet. If he can't safely shoot an animal laying on the ground at extreme close range, how could he safely use his firearm in the city , when a human life is in danger?.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Ok officer.

Can you please recite where in your regulations and policy and procedures that you are allowed that.

I would assume one that wears the uniform is aware of such things.

Just one more reason to bash the cops.

Has it been a week already?
Don't worry he's safe behind the Blue Shield. Most Leo's are great folks. Some should never wear a badge. Too bad they are all under the Blue shield insurance policy.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 06-26-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
You may notice that with situations like that most police services have their own in house tactical team.
And yeah if there is a risk, you wouldn’t want them accidentally killing or hurting an innocent bystander.

People are stupid, they get told to move back, but continue to put their faces forward.
A cops job would be a lot easier without slack jawed mouth breathers, hanging around.

He chose the lesser of two evils and still gets persecuted for it.

Damn if you do
Damn if you don’t.
If they have their own in house tactical team, why do they carry firearms themselves? And if the officer isn't even capable of moving people out of his way, he isn't much of an officer.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:11 PM
Banned

Not surprising; the internal review process for any law enforcement organization is but a farce staged to appease the general masses, to create an illusion of action if you will.

Was the cop too fat to drag the deer into the ditch?
Old 06-26-2019, 10:11 PM

This is the right outcome. Fish and Wildlife wouldn’t deal with it, his superior said do not discharge your weapon, and he did what he thought he could do. Once he started he was committed to finish. I do not believe he had malicious intent and I really have a hard time jumping all over someone whom I genuinely believed felt they were doing the right thing with the cards they were dealt.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-26-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
Not surprising, the internal review process for any law enforcement organization is but a farce staged to appease the general masses, to create an illusion of action if you will.

There was no ditch.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-26-2019, 10:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Don't worry he's safe behind the Blue Shield. Most Leo's are great folks. Some should never wear a badge. Too bad they are all under the Blue shield insurance policy.
Some trades people are good folks and some should never swing a hammer, but they are covered under the same thing.

Just a guy trying to a job.

If this was a roughneck would the tar and feathers be the same?
Old 06-26-2019, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
If they have their own in house tactical team, why do they carry firearms themselves? And if the officer isn't even capable of moving people out of his way, he isn't much of an officer.
What do you do for work again?

If you aren’t capable of doing said task you aren’t much of an employee.

Oh, you did what you felt was right given the circumstances and you provided a reasonable explanation,
Well I don’t agree I think you should be fired immediately.

As a local armchair expert on everything I feel that I am able to pass judgment on something that I know little if anything about.
So I have no idea how to do your job, but I’m going to judge you for it anyways.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not surprising; the internal review process for any law enforcement organization is but a farce staged to appease the general masses, to create an illusion of action if you will.

You mean like in any job?

What happens when you mess up at work?

Do you not have an internal review process?

If unionized, do you not get representation?

To think that guys are doing jobs that a small percentage of people understand, and when something happens that the majority of people know nothing about are capable of passing judgment on them.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
What do you do for work again?

If you aren’t capable of doing said task you aren’t much of an employee.

Oh, you did what you felt was right given the circumstances and you provided a reasonable explanation,
Well I don’t agree I think you should be fired immediately.

As a local armchair expert on everything I feel that I am able to pass judgment on something that I know little if anything about.
So I have no idea how to do your job, but I’m going to judge you for it anyways.
I am retired, and nobody ever complains about me not being up to the task.

As for dispatching animals, I have dispatched many in over 45 years of hunting, and guess what, nobody was injured, and nobody's property was ever damaged by a ricochet.

How many deer or other big game animals have you dispatched ?
Old 06-26-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
I am retired, and nobody ever complains about me not being up to the task.

As for dispatching animals, I have dispatched many in over 45 years of hunting, and guess what, nobody was injured, and nobody's property was ever damaged by a ricochet.

How many deer or other big game animals have you dispatched ?
How many deer have you shot on a city street?

-Billy Molls
Old 06-26-2019, 10:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
There was no ditch.
I stand corrected. The article in the original post refers to "another location" rather than the ditch as a speculative spot where the officer could have dispatched the critter humanely. Can't help but wonder as to the nature of the "additional challenges" that the officer had astutely identified, which prevented him from dragging the deer off the road.

Etown, all LEOs must be held accountable to a higher standard than any civilian, regardless of their occupation. The extra powers granted to them by the law are a good reason for careful circumspection of any officers' actions.

My workplace has an internal review process. Its' severity is commensurate with the nature of my job, which involves neither guns nor handcuffs.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
How many deer have you shot on a city street?
I haven't because that would be illegal for me to do. But I have finished off several in close proximity to other people, you probably have too. Do you not think that you could have finished off that deer without causing a ricochet? I have total confidence that either you or I could have shot that deer with no risk to the public.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:06 PM

Default the method

The Officer had numerous resources at hand and the car was not the best method. We as hunters all strive for quick, humane kills. With the tools available to the Officer the car should have been the last resort. His knife would have been a better choice.

Is this sort of thing covered in the LEO training?
If it isn't it probably should be, this is not the first time I have heard of not so well done dispatch of a wounded animal.

Should the officer loose their job over this poor decision?
I do not think so, but further training and some form of reprimand for sure.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
I haven't because that would be illegal for me to do. But I have finished off several in close proximity to other people, you probably have too. Do you not think that you could have finished off that deer without causing a ricochet? I have total confidence that either you or I could have shot that deer with no risk to the public.
He was told not to. He obeyed a direct order to not discharge his firearm at the deer.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-26-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I stand corrected. The article in the original post refers to "another location" rather than the ditch as a speculative spot where the officer could have dispatched the critter humanely. Can't help but wonder as to the nature of the "additional challenges" that the officer had astutely identified, which prevented him from dragging the deer off the road.

Etown, all LEOs must be held accountable to a higher standard than any civilian, regardless of their occupation. The extra powers granted to them by the law are a good reason for careful circumspection of any officers' actions.

My workplace has an internal review process. Its' severity is commensurate with the nature of my job, which involves neither guns nor handcuffs.
Yes, he could have drug it onto another street, or onto someone’s lawn.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-26-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
He was told not to. He obeyed a direct order to not discharge his firearm at the deer.
Oddly enough the news releases make no mention of him being ordered not to discharge any of his firearms. They state that he made the decision not to use a firearm.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrimard View Post
The Officer had numerous resources at hand and the car was not the best method. We as hunters all strive for quick, humane kills. With the tools available to the Officer the car should have been the last resort. His knife would have been a better choice.

Is this sort of thing covered in the LEO training?
If it isn't it probably should be, this is not the first time I have heard of not so well done dispatch of a wounded animal.

Should the officer loose their job over this poor decision?
I do not think so, but further training and some form of reprimand for sure.
Do you seriously think his knife would have garnered any less negative attention?

What training do you recommend? Where does this training take place? Do we use illustrations? How do we practice?

-Billy Molls
Old 06-26-2019, 11:27 PM

Buckshot ?
Closed Thread