Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2013, 03:43 PM

Default Brazeau Collieries

I promised this story a few days ago but didn't get time to post it as I was busy wrapping up my training in Hinton. But finally, here it is:

Last September I was working in Rocky Mountain House. Every evening after work I would take a drive out to the Nordegg area and check out something like Shunda, Crescent Falls, the Bighorn Dam, and so on and so forth.

Every time I drove past Nordegg I could see the old Brazeau Collieries perched over the town like a Gargoyle. I would think to myself how neat it would be to see all the old buildings there, but sadly tourist season was over and the guided tour had been shut down till next season. One evening while BSing at the pub in Nordegg I mentioned to the bartender how neat the old mine sounded and how I would be sure to come back for a guided tour when they start up in the spring. She told me to go ahead and hike in. She could tell I was a respectable guy who would treat the area with respect. I got some basic directions from her and prepared for my hike.

The first evening I took along a friend from Rocky who always wanted to hike into the Collieries but could never find anyone interested in going. We parked at the gates and hiked in on the railroad tracks. By the time we reached the Collieries the sun had set.

We began by walking around the outside of the processing plants. I was in awe of their size and could only imagine what it would have been like 60 years ago when 900 people worked there daily. I snapped many pictures of the buildings and whatever else I thought was cool. During this time we had no weird feelings or sensations, and didn't see anything strange. The only thing we noted was the dead silence. There was not even the sound of woodland animals or birds. Just pure silence.

I also took a picture of my friend hanging off of a coal chute that powered large engines of some sort. We then walked east, came to a fork in the road that went slightly south west, and decided to take it. We came to two buildings, one was sort of white with green trim that had two front doors and another building that was more less just an old house with a cellar (we noted both cellar doors were closed, but the main door was wide open). I wanted to snap a picture of the two front doors and inside. As I stepped on the front step something came rushing out of the doors- a type of foul odor that I've never smelled before. It hit me and I withdrew due to the smell, and my friend behind me a few feet smelled it, too. I mustered the courage to step up and take a couple pictures. I did so and then backed off the step.

Slightly confused by the localized smell we walked about 20 feet forward towards the house. This is when things went from strange to terrifying. I was walking in front and it was like stepping into another world. I was hit with a hostile, menacing feeling and it felt like eyes ripped through me. Based on my friends description I just stood there drained of color and blankly staring at the house. Then the same feeling hit her. As I gained composure we both noticed something completely out of place- one of the cellar doors was open a few inches. She grabbed the back of my jacket and begged we leave. I thought that was a great idea and we ran/jogged all the way back to the truck.

After a few minutes sitting in the truck not saying much we drove down to the pub for some food and to collect ourselves. As we sat at the table, both shaking and sweating a cold sweat, I began looking through the pictures. One of my pictures of the processing plants has a distinct face looking out of a window higher up. The picture of my friend hanging on the coal chute has a green orb of some sort hovering behind her. And one of the pictures of the two door building has a red glow coming from a back room. We didn't know what to make of it, but before long we had drawn a small crowd who wanted to see the pictures and hear what had happened out there.

Back at my camp I laid awake with the lights on. My chest was still tight from the experience and I was not feeling like sleeping at all. At about 2 AM a very clear voice said in my right ear "Quiet". No idea what it meant, just know it scared me half to death. The rest of the evening in my room went without incident and I eventually got to sleep around 4 AM.

After the first evening at the Collieries we were both scared yet amazed at the experience and we both wanted to go back. So a few nights later we set out to see the rest of the site. This time we hiked in on the road but still got to the mine at sunset. We looked through some buildings starting with the locker room, and moving south to the actual mine entrances and some buildings in the bush. No weird feelings or sensations, just a little pacrat that followed us around. There was an odd phenomena though. We would get hit by blasts of hot air and cold. I'm talking hair blower hot, and ice water cold. The air blasts would last a couple seconds and be gone. It wouldn't matter if we were in a building or outside in the open. It was odd.

We went through the processing plants from top to bottom, and for the finale we went to the two buildings that gave us the most activity the hike before. We went inside of the house with the cellar. Although we felt uneasy, nothing like before. We went all through it then out the back door to the building with the double front door set up. We went into the room with the red glow but nothing this time. We went out the front door and no smell. We then hiked out to the truck and left the Brazeau Collieries and it's lifetime residents behind. All in all on the second night there was almost a feeling of being welcome. And the animals were out and about making noise how you would expect. There just wasn't the feeling of hostility like the first time.

And that's my story. First time mentioning it here, first time posting it here. I plan to go back someday as well as go to another ghost town in the area that is supposedly just as active. A little place in the forest called Alexo.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan 08 View Post
My sister and her husband visited the area where Custer's Last Stand was. She swears that they took a chip in their windshield and it formed a small crack. After leaving the area the crack was apparently gone. She is normally a very grounded person and not prone to BS. She is however a Liberal, so that could explain the hallucination.
pretty strong medicine in Montana and South Dakota.. i have no doubt it happened.. some real nasty business the indian wars and subsequent massacre of si tankas people at wounded knee...thanks for posting
Old 04-12-2013, 04:12 PM

Default Lone Wolf...

That story made the hair stand on the back of my neck, your first trip there and made mention of utter silence....was exactly what I experienced in my Redwater abandoned farmyard experience as mentioned in my post earlier in this thread. It was so quiet that you knew and felt something was outta place and not quite right....great story again, thanks for sharing. Can you find those pictures Lone Wolf? Would LOVE to see them if possible.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
Hey Hotwheels81, you never did tell us what TCBOBM means.
still waiting
Old 04-12-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep6matt View Post
That story made the hair stand on the back of my neck, your first trip there and made mention of utter silence....was exactly what I experienced in my Redwater abandoned farmyard experience as mentioned in my post earlier in this thread. It was so quiet that you knew and felt something was outta place and not quite right....great story again, thanks for sharing. Can you find those pictures Lone Wolf? Would LOVE to see them if possible.
Yes, I remember reading your story. It's a tough thing to explain. It's silence, but more than that. It's like Mother Nature herself is afraid.

Yes, I can post the pics shortly.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Banned

There is a place here called Meachum Creek falls,back in the bush.It`s very impressive,well over a hundred foot drop and the ground shakes when you get near.I have taken many people there over the years and EVERY TIME all they want to do is get away from it.It`s beuatifull and safe to observe but it radiates a creepiness that you can`t imagine.DOOM is the only word I can think of.My dogs cower in the truck,won`t get out.Kids won`t get out.Everybody wants to see it but when you get within a quarter mile I`v had people change their minds and go back without ever setting eyes on it.It has an extremely oppressive presence and it gets worse the closer you get.I have been there many times and I still don`t like the place.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderheart View Post
still waiting
Someone mentioned it earlier. The coveted book of black magic.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 04-12-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
Yes, I remember reading your story. It's a tough thing to explain. It's silence, but more than that. It's like Mother Nature herself is afraid.

Yes, I can post the pics shortly.
That is a perfect description indeed that Mother Nature herself is afraid....can't wait to see those pics...I will be in Rocky area on Tuesday and actually feel compelled to see that old mine.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:42 PM

Ryry .. oh there was a question mark behind kens comment .. sorry i will take it thats what it is .. heheh .. red faced

thanks
Old 04-12-2013, 04:47 PM

Default Old school methods of remedies, protection and/or wicca?

Just curious to know if anyone here believes and/or seen any kind of old country types of practices. Reason I bring this up is that I recently found out that my deceased grandfather on my dad's side used to practice for good reasons and was told many stories about it. He unfortunately passed when I was quite young, I remember only meeting him 3 times in my life but his eyes and manner were piercing,,,in a good way. Anyways one thing that came to mind was a technique of "splitting an oncoming storm" and what was practiced was placing an axe upside down (blade up) facing east and west and it would split the oncoming storm. My parents swear by this and when I was growing up on the farm we never got hailed out but the surrounding neighbors farms did. After hearing some of those stories and flashing back in childhood memory, I never take that stuff for granted. I guess long ago and back in the day it was common for people placing curses on others they did not like...for instance yielding bad crops, bread that would never rise, milk from cows always turning sour, helping children with sleep walking problems, leaving a silk cloth folded up in a neat manner with a curse on it and placing it on someone's property, etc. Heard some rattling stories about it. Makes one think what our ancestors truly knew and what we take for granted. Just throwing it out there for feedback.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Ryry .. oh there was a question mark behind kens comment .. sorry i will take it thats what it is .. heheh .. red faced

thanks
No worries.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 04-12-2013, 05:06 PM

Lone Wolf, i just googled Brazeau Colleries. Lots of pictures of old buildings on their web page. I now want to go there and take the kids for the tour. Thanks for a cool story.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:14 PM

Several of the stories people mentioned seeing something move out the corner of there eye, they look and nothing is there. Here is another story to cover this.

I have always started work early by myself. Over the years I have seen on a regular basis " shadow people " walking threw the plant. Not sure if I was starting to lose it?? Then I had a guy start working with me early in the morning. All's fine for several months and then one morning he comes to me and wants to talk. He's real nervous and he says "please don't think that I'm crazy boss, but I have seen people walking around here for many weeks and I know we are the only ones here. I'm scared ". So I explain to him about shadow people and now he is at ease with it all. Some morning he will come and say to me " lot's of activiry today ". Yep.

Dodger.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:12 AM

Love this thread!

I remember being about 7 yrs old or so and playing outside with my friend - we were having an argument and I looked up in the sky (probably exasperated) and saw a huge ball of fire hurdling through the sky above our street! It was crazy!! I'm pretty sure it was Challenger...pretty freaky to see anyway...

When I was a teen, being at my bff's place for a sleepover, watched some creepy movies and of course we had to sleep in the basement. I was afraid of the dark before this...as soon as she turned off the light we both saw this circle of light on the ceiling. I was freaked out and asked her if she saw it too, thinking she was messing with me. Yep, she saw it and ran to throw on the light. We searched that room high and low and came up with nothing that made light or reflected light. Turned off the light and never saw it again...I wondered about it for years...lol!

About 8 years ago I was driving home from my boyfriends house. He lived 2 hours away and I was very used to highway driving. This particular July day had been so beautiful and sunny and all of a sudden a thunderstorm rolled in with really hard rain. I've always had a lead foot and never had a problem in any weather and all of a sudden started to hydroplane. My car was now headed backwards towards an oncoming pressure truck...missed it by a second! Headed towards a swamp, missed that and the barb wire fence...when I finally stopped, my car was facing 360 again and I crossed onto the opposite shoulder, onto an APPROACH and stopped 'like on a cloud' right in front of a row of huge trees!! Wow, I tremble just typing this...I still to this day replay it over and over again and cannot believe I lived to tell that one. Got out of the car, trembling. Some rig guys saw me in the ditch and pulled in to see if I was alright. My car was perfect. I was able to drive it out no problem. I often slowed down when passing by there just to make sure that the obstacles were the way I remembered them to be, always wondering how...?? Sure don't drive like that anymore tho!

A couple months ago, hubby and I were out exploring some lease roads. It was getting pretty late but we decided to walk down one more road. Testing out his new flashlight or something...anyway, we were pretty far from town, no plants around and it's about 11 pm, a really dark night. We were a good hike from the truck when we heard a really loud "knock" sound closeby. Sounded like someone was hammering into a 2x4- that kind of hollow knock... Only two or three. Loud enough to hear it over the crunching of our boots in the snow and echoed all around us. This is all crown land with wellsites, no one lives in this area (no houses anyway). I wasn't feeling so brave after that and decided to head for the truck. Who knows, maybe someone had to fix a shack on a wellsite at 11pm...but...I wasn't about to find out!
Old 04-13-2013, 01:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
There is a place here called Meachum Creek falls,back in the bush.It`s very impressive,well over a hundred foot drop and the ground shakes when you get near.I have taken many people there over the years and EVERY TIME all they want to do is get away from it.It`s beuatifull and safe to observe but it radiates a creepiness that you can`t imagine.DOOM is the only word I can think of.My dogs cower in the truck,won`t get out.Kids won`t get out.Everybody wants to see it but when you get within a quarter mile I`v had people change their minds and go back without ever setting eyes on it.It has an extremely oppressive presence and it gets worse the closer you get.I have been there many times and I still don`t like the place.
I used to go there all the time.
But a few folks have died there.
The last one I remember was a young German woman.. a tourist.. she slipped and went over.... maybe 20 years ago.

The place started to creep me out after that.
The only time I went there after her death the place was different... it changed. I heard something in the wind.
We all did.

That place is bad medicine.

Take em out to Cherry Creek falls and skinny dip.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
I used to go there all the time.
But a few folks have died there.
The last one I remember was a young German woman.. a tourist.. she slipped and went over.... maybe 20 years ago.

The place started to creep me out after that.
The only time I went there after her death the place was different... it changed. I heard something in the wind.
We all did.

That place is bad medicine.
Where is this place? I googled it but it only showed Oregon places.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
Where is this place? I googled it but it only showed Oregon places.
Its up the St Marys Valley near Marysville and Kimberley.

Meacham Creek... not meachum

If you go... watch the rocks... they can be pretty slippery.

http://www.basininstitute.org/search...s.html?id=6192
Old 04-13-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunmum View Post
Love this thread!

. We were a good hike from the truck when we heard a really loud "knock" sound closeby. Sounded like someone was hammering into a 2x4- that kind of hollow knock... Only two or three. Loud enough to hear it over the crunching of our boots in the snow and echoed all around us. This is all crown land with wellsites, no one lives in this area (no houses anyway). I wasn't feeling so brave after that and decided to head for the truck. Who knows, maybe someone had to fix a shack on a wellsite at 11pm...but...I wasn't about to find out!
from watching discovery channel and the like they say that Sasquatches make a loud knocking noise when moving about or looking for food ,,
Old 04-13-2013, 08:03 AM
Banned

I sent a strange photo I took to Kenaovette to post for me.It is odd.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:48 AM

If you're into history like I am I would recommend a trip to Nordegg. Between the visitors center, the original buildings on Nordegg street, and the Brazeau Collieries there is lots to see there. I think they run guided tours all summer.

Anyway as promised here are the pictures:

Face in window

Green orb

Red glow in backroom

House with the menacing feeling
Old 04-13-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
If you're into history like I am I would recommend a trip to Nordegg. Between the visitors center, the original buildings on Nordegg street, and the Brazeau Collieries there is lots to see there. I think they run guided tours all summer.

Anyway as promised here are the pictures:

Face in window

Green orb

Red glow in backroom

House with the menacing feeling
Wicked! Thanks for posting! That is some creepy stuff
Old 04-13-2013, 10:27 AM

Lone Wolf, great pics and story. Pretty weird stuff in some of those pics. In the one where you said you can see a face in the window, which window is it? I can't seem to spot it? There's four windows in the picture..?

Anyways, great story. Wish I had something weird to contribute but I dont
Old 04-13-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
Lone Wolf, great pics and story. Pretty weird stuff in some of those pics. In the one where you said you can see a face in the window, which window is it? I can't seem to spot it? There's four windows in the picture..?

Anyways, great story. Wish I had something weird to contribute but I dont
Top left window, bottom left of window. Zoom right in on it.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
There is no campfire, no cigarettes

Quote:
I sent a strange photo I took to Kenaovette to post for me.It is odd.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Quote:

Thanks sir.Pretty strange eh?The photo before and after were clear.I dunno.....
Old 04-13-2013, 02:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Quote:

And by the way,this was the night the Persiad Meteor shower was going,that`s why we walked a half mile to sit on a perfectly dark spot from our campsite.And that`s why nobody had a smoke going because we didn`t want to screw up a good photo of a meteor.I just took a pic of the father in law because he looked so happy.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
And by the way,this was the night the Persiad Meteor shower was going,that`s why we walked a half mile to sit on a perfectly dark spot from our campsite.And that`s why nobody had a smoke going because we didn`t want to screw up a good photo of a meteor.I just took a pic of the father in law because he looked so happy.
...lint/hair on lens?
Old 04-13-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
i was in the queen charlotte islands in 86 staying in a haida fish camp in a cabin a friend of mine lent me to buy chantrelle mushrooms. about 9 am one morning i buckled over in pain .. my chest pounded and i thought i was jammin out .. i sat for a bit and then the pain subsided a bit and i went to queen charlotte city hospital to be checked out .. was there for an hr maybe two .. they said i was fine .. my heart rate was up a bit and said it might have been anything .. by this time i was feeling reeeeeeeal uneasy and anxious but they said i was ok .. so driving back to the ferry around noon to get back to the sandspit side and down to copper bay, i had massive and i mean massive pain ..i pulled over to the side of the road ..my heart pounded and i broke into a horrid sweat and then as quick as it happened i started to feel ok but i felt myself leave my body and i was rushing away from the van and my body.. i spiraled upward and someone was with me but didnt know who .. ( total out of body experience.. not astral project because i knew what that felt like) all the sudden i (my spirit/soul) was slowing down and came to a stop ... there was a brief moment that i felt someone else leaving me ... turning and giving me a reassurance ..i dunno .. and the other spirit was gone .. next thing i was sitting in the seat of my van .. completely lost and more than a little frightened, but at peace sort of .... i drove back to my camp confused yet relaxed sorta .. weirded out for sure and went and lied down and slept .. middle of the day .. that is not me .. later that night i was sitting outside by the fire when a car drove up and an old lady said that she had a message for me that i was to phone home right away .. i raced back to sandspit and called home .. my wife at the time told me that my father had had a massive heart attack earlier that day about9 am and passed away around noon .. exactly when i had the pains and the out of body experience..... i experienced my fathers heart attack and subsequent death from 500 miles away my father had come to me and i had traveled with him part way somewhere and was sent back .... i was close to the old man and miss him horribly .. tears roll as i type .. no one could explain it .. my step mother thought it was wonderful .. my wife of the time said i was nuts ..lol but it happened .. i have had a few experiences like this but not quite the same
again what kind off mushrooms were those
Old 04-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
...lint/hair on lens?
Nope.Really,does that look like lint or hair?Three pics in 30 seconds,first and last were clean,just John on a log.This one was an eye opener.And NO,it`s not photo shopped,otherwise I would be smart enough to post it myself.Thanks again K.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy62 View Post
again what kind off mushrooms were those
a Boo & a Hiss...i believe him an i don't touch the 'mushroom'.