Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-26-2019, 10:49 AM

Default Lawnmower problem

Looking for some advice, certain I'll find it here. I have a Craftsman riding mower with a 13.5 Briggs and Stratton Gold engine. It runs fine for a few minutes, till it warms up , I assume, then shuts down. I just changed the oil and put 10/30 in it. I'm wondering if the oil thins sufficiently to trigger the low oil shut down. 30 weight oil was suggested as a warm weather alternative. Didn't seem to do it before I changed the oil and I don't want to change it again if I can help it .

Grizz
Old 06-26-2019, 11:00 AM

What oil did your mower originally call for? Did you overfill it? If you overfill it your crankshaft could be stirring the oil adding air, this turns the oil into an espresso foam like consistency which would cause a low oil pressure at the sensor.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 06-26-2019, 12:09 PM

10w30 flows like 10 weight oil when cold, but like 30weight oil when warm, so at operating temperature 10w30, and 30 oil, are the same viscosity.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:27 PM
Banned

Do you have any spark? sounds like a possible coil issue, cracked etc., they are fine when cold and then short out when they heat up.You could bypass the oil sensor then crank it over to see if you have any spark.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:02 PM

I'm with steyrman - check the coil first. Also ensure your fuel vent is working properly...
Old 06-26-2019, 04:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Looking for some advice, certain I'll find it here. I have a Craftsman riding mower with a 13.5 Briggs and Stratton Gold engine. It runs fine for a few minutes, till it warms up , I assume, then shuts down. I just changed the oil and put 10/30 in it. I'm wondering if the oil thins sufficiently to trigger the low oil shut down. 30 weight oil was suggested as a warm weather alternative. Didn't seem to do it before I changed the oil and I don't want to change it again if I can help it .

Grizz
I would check for spark, when it shuts down. 30 weight oil is thicker than your multi grade 10-30 when it is at operating temp. If that is all you changed, and it was functioning fine before, it would seem that could be the issue.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:42 PM

Sounds like a carb issue... Like the float bowl isn't filling at the proper rate.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:57 PM

I had the same problem once, run for awhile then die. Checked everything all fine, it would still die. Looked in the gas tank and fished out a well preserved Bumblebee, problem solved.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:09 PM

Could be a plugged fuel tank vent, or a coil issue.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:00 PM
Banned

You should probably disconnect the battery cables and touch them together and then hook them back up
Old 06-26-2019, 10:03 PM

Love small engine threads... I have the answer....

Add seafoam... BAM!!!! FIXED!!!!
Old 06-26-2019, 10:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
Sounds like a carb issue... Like the float bowl isn't filling at the proper rate.
Float bowl fills the same cold as it does warm
Old 06-26-2019, 10:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
10w30 flows like 10 weight oil when cold, but like 30weight oil when warm, so at operating temperature 10w30, and 30 oil, are the same viscosity.
Yup
Old 06-26-2019, 10:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I would check for spark, when it shuts down. 30 weight oil is thicker than your multi grade 10-30 when it is at operating temp. If that is all you changed, and it was functioning fine before, it would seem that could be the issue.
Nope
Old 06-26-2019, 10:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
Spark is likely the issue, put a Bosch plug in it, if your not moving when it warms up and quits then fuel issues are doubtful but, change the plug, change the fuel, , dump out the tank, clean the bowl, your oil is fine if the level is right, if it continues then look for a grounding kill switch wire that has rubbed through, lastly the coil. Or maybe a bad safety switch on your seat.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:41 PM

Give it a rub down with a salve made of essential oils, try oil of oregano and some ground hibiscus flower. Following this tent it with banana leaves and run a vaporizer with clove oil into that for a fortnight. Align it’s Chakra’s and put a tea light candle into a Himalayan salt lamp while reciting some Tibetan poetry from the seat of your touring unicycle.

Or maybe check the ignition coil for a short that only occurs once it’s warmed up
Old 06-27-2019, 05:46 AM

Talking

Old 06-27-2019, 06:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Give it a rub down with a salve made of essential oils, try oil of oregano and some ground hibiscus flower. Following this tent it with banana leaves and run a vaporizer with clove oil into that for a fortnight. Align it’s Chakra’s and put a tea light candle into a Himalayan salt lamp while reciting some Tibetan poetry from the seat of your touring unicycle.

Or maybe check the ignition coil for a short that only occurs once it’s warmed up
Medicinal marijuana
Old 06-27-2019, 07:18 AM

Can you keep it running with the choke on partially or full when it's warm if so, your carb is in need of a good cleaning, and it's likely full of varnish. Remove it, take it ALL apart and clean it, OR go buy a new one. There's a good chance a replacement is fairly cheap.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:37 AM

All most sounds like a vapor lock problem. When you changed the oil did you play with the gas line and possibly move it closer to the engine ? When it gets hot it produces a vapor lock. I would check that the gas line is not close to any hot engine parts and add seafoam to the gas. Seafoam will cure any varnish problems in the carb, if that is the cause. Then check other things if that does not cure the problem. Start with the cheapest and easiest things first.

Let us know the solution to the problem when you get it fixed.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
Love small engine threads... I have the answer....

Add seafoam... BAM!!!! FIXED!!!!
Old 06-27-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post

I like this. Coil sounds plausible.

Grizz
Old 06-28-2019, 08:12 AM

Try take the fuel cap off when this happens and see if it starts. I had the same problem intermittently with a Craftsman lawn tractor. Took a long time to figure it out. It turns out that the new style gas caps that prevent gas fumes from polluting the environment are susceptible to having the valves stick and cause a vacuum in the gas tank.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by man of steel View Post
Try take the fuel cap off when this happens and see if it starts. I had the same problem intermittently with a Craftsman lawn tractor. Took a long time to figure it out. It turns out that the new style gas caps that prevent gas fumes from polluting the environment are susceptible to having the valves stick and cause a vacuum in the gas tank.
this
Old 06-28-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
this
Tried that, previous mower did that. Leaning towards the coil issue, they do that on occasion.

Grizz