Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Banned

Default Hawkin flintlock

I just picked up a Hawkin .54 cal flintlock.. The problem I'm having is that I can't get a spark every time my flint strikes the frizzen. where can I learn how to knap the flint and get more info on this primitive rifle? it's too much fun, when it works!
I'm hopeing theres a mountain man that has a smokepole and can give me some pointers.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:54 PM

I have been shooting a flinter since I was 13, that be 17 years. I have tuned locks, knapped flints, burnt out two barrels. I think I have a good understanding of the entire process of how they work. For starters, what type of flint, what breed of rifle, and how much do you know about them?
Old 05-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Banned

It's made by investarms from italy in very good shape. I have no idea of the flint type. five or six were given to me when I traded a fiddle for it. Are you in the Edmonton area?
Old 05-27-2010, 10:11 PM

Check out Youtube, there's a guy who does knapping.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:41 AM

Yes Im in edmonton, south east kind of. PM me for a phone number youre welcome to come over sat, the missus is working. We dont have to shoot it to tune it they dry fire great, I can show you what I know about getting it to go off. Italians make great guns. I only have my pennsilvannia long rifle, and a pedrosoli pistol left these days and shes got some miles, but you can have a look at the little work I did to tune it up.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:44 AM

I've got one of those Italian kit guns, in percussion. There seems to be a problem with the main spring not being strong enough, to do it's job. Might consider that, as your problem.
Grizz
Old 05-28-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I've got one of those Italian kit guns, in percussion. There seems to be a problem with the main spring not being strong enough, to do it's job. Might consider that, as your problem.
Grizz
Thats a good point too Grizz I'm sure the Spanish models share the same problem, a friend of mine bought a Traditions flinter and had the same problem. I wonder if TOTW might have a lock that will replace the Spanish one?
Old 05-28-2010, 11:03 AM

You can shim the main spring sometimes if thats the problem, bend em too, but thats not so good. Quite often it could be the frizzen spring, lacking tension aswell, or tension in the wrong area of stroke. Polishing contact points can speed a lock up dramatically. There may be a catching problem where the sear passes halfcock on the tumbler, some locks have a fly to prevent this. The angle of the hammer where it contacts the frizzen, and ends at the pan could be wrong. The frizzen could be poorly shaped, or not hard enough. Hardness is a common problem I have seen in traditions frizzens, there are several solutions to this. The shaped flints from t/c made from some type of quartzite or chert are no good. Buy the black english or french flints, and buy them all when you find good ones. The length and condition of the edge of a flint is important and many people dont understand how to properly knap them. There are many replacment locks available, siler, l&r and davis are the best known and great. There are many custom made locks aswell. Fitting them to a new rifle may be a challenge, as inletting the stock or altering engagement of the trigger to sear arm may be needed.

With percussion guns in sidelock the same spring and hammer conditions apply. Grizz if the inside of the hammerface is not flat, as can happen in some poor quality parts due to casting it may not hit the cap propperly. Also if it is not hitting square you may get poor ignition. Look at the nipple face for signs of uneaven impact, and check the hammer face, toolmakers die may be appropriate to test for a good contact. If It is the spring, there are aftermarket replacements, or alterations can be made to the existing main spring.

Last edited by switchsl; 05-28-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:17 PM

Trooper

I had an Investarms Flintlock Hawken and it was a decent rifle for the money as are most Italian black powder guns. The frizzen was a little soft and it was a little heavy but it usually went off when I asked it to.

You won't get a better offer than to visit Stiches for some advise and tuning as flintlocks do take a little learning.

Richard
Old 05-28-2010, 05:44 PM

The best part about a new flintlock shooter is watching them flinch when it misfires, but mine never does that... ever... honest lol. I think richard meant switch, not stich, but eitherway, I am more than willing to help you or anybody else out with lock triggers and barrel tuning, Ill explain what I know and do not if you are not comfortable with me pokin at your gun. Ill take a trip to the range with you too if you so desire.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Banned

Cool Excellant advise!

I just came back from seeing switches, he has to be the most knowledgeable smoke pole operator I've met so far.. Switches, you should get into the business as an advisor. thanks so much and yes lets get together for that 'yote hunt in two weeks time, next weekend (saturday) I'll be teaching a firearms safety course. also it anyone is interested in this course, PM me and I can get you booked.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:42 PM

Hope it all works out for you my friend. Any more troubles, we can sort them out on the range.