Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-30-2010, 07:16 AM

Default Practising in perfect conditions

A while back ( early Spring) I was asked why I was going to the range to shoot , even though it was sleeting and very winndy outside.
My response was that I already had loads done for my shotgun and that i wanted to practise.
The worst conditions , I explained, are the best to really get to know what you are capable of in a hunting situation.
After all, duck and goose hunting can be super in lousy conditions, and if one does not take every chance one gets to hunt them, but only goes in perfect conditions, one does not do a lot of hunting!
The same goes with practising IMO.
If you only practise in perfect conditions, then you won't be shooting near as much as if you practise every chance you get, and will not be prepared when the going gets rough.
That being said, we have some gusting southerly winds today and rain .
I'm hittin' the skeet range today for sure ( although a bit later than normal!)
Cat
Old 05-30-2010, 08:26 AM

Shooting for me is a passion. And now living in a city I realize how much I miss having my own range like I did when on the farm. Last weekend went to visit inlaws at thier farm, took my new sako to play with. Woke up to about a foot of snow and flurries ,but went out and shot for an hour anyway. Man did I enjoy that time.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:45 AM

With our climate,if I only practiced under ideal conditions,I wouldn't get much practice.However,it's still nice to have some good conditions for load development.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
With our climate,if I only practiced under ideal conditions,I wouldn't get much practice.However,it's still nice to have some good conditions for load development.
X2! For sure, trying to develop a load or pattern a shotgun is lunacy in bad conditions, simply because you have to get as many variables out as you can to keep things even!
But once that is all done, it is really not productive to shoot as many rounds as you and I do , using a bench rest with our hunting rifles or waiting until the wind goes down to shoot skeet!
We get so few good days up here that 05:30 seems to be about the best time to zero or pattern!
Cat