Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2019, 04:31 PM

Default Disneyland, need the scoop

Looking at maybe planning a trip to Disneyland in the fall. The kids are at the age where they are young enough to be into Disney stuff but old enough to hit up some of the rides I am assuming.

Just looking for tips on the best way to go about this. We have never been outside of Canada so this would be new to all of us. Is it best to get some sort of package deal with flights, hotel etc?

What are the do's and dont's and whats a rough cost of the trip and how much do you figure a family reasonably spends?

I have only been to BC and SK in my life lol
Old 11-26-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
Looking at maybe planning a trip to Disneyland in the fall. The kids are at the age where they are young enough to be into Disney stuff but old enough to hit up some of the rides I am assuming.

Just looking for tips on the best way to go about this. We have never been outside of Canada so this would be new to all of us. Is it best to get some sort of package deal with flights, hotel etc?

What are the do's and dont's and whats a rough cost of the trip and how much do you figure a family reasonably spends?

My wife did our planning for Disney in California and Florida and did an amazing job. There is a book that i believe she ordered from Amazon which tells you your days start to finish...LOL....

Soon as the gates open, tells you where to go first and get your fast passes at a certain time. We stayed at Disney hotel the first time and was expensive but nice to be close to the park. When we went to Florida, we rented airnB houses and was so relaxing after being around a million people during the day..LOL...

We rented a vehicle to get around....We were there for 2 weeks and wife rented out 2 houses on AirnB so incase the first house sucked, we hopefully would have a better 2nd week just in case....First house was awesome and booked it again the year later....Same house...Quiet gated area, pool....Watched the fireworks from Disney from our back yard....

Disney in California was our first trip though.....If you like rides, Knottsberry farm is the place to go....Universal is best for rides as well....

If you end up in Florida, Busch gardens is great, and we caught a Tampa Bay Lightning game that night....An hour drive to Tampa from Florida Disney area...
Old 11-26-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:

We are going to be planning a similar trip too. We had looked into the rides and once the kids are over 42” I think they can ride about 80% of the rides at the park. We had been holding off for the youngest to finally hit that mark. She got there this summer so the planning will begin soon.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:48 PM

Sea world.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
We are going to be planning a similar trip too. We had looked into the rides and once the kids are over 42” I think they can ride about 80% of the rides at the park. We had been holding off for the youngest to finally hit that mark. She got there this summer so the planning will begin soon.
Go to Knotsberry farm for kids ride...My son was I believe 8 or 9 years old and had the 42" limit and I believe there was only one ride he could not go on....

Disney does not compare for thrill rides to Knotsberry in Anaheim and Busch gardens in Tampa....

Also, as TM said, Seaworld has excellent rides and coasters....
Old 11-26-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Sea world.
x2....

Sea world has some of the best rides
Old 11-26-2019, 05:19 PM

We were there in 2014.
My wife planed it all ,Flight in San Diego, rented a car over there ,visited Their ZOO.3 days in a hotel.
Highly recommend Sea World.
Then drove to LA and stayed in a hotel for another 4 days in Long Beach area , stopped in LEGOLAND on a way.
We enjoyed Universal studio better then Disney actually.
Returned a car in LA airport.
2 adults and two kids was around 7K all in and Canadian dollar was much stronger then.

S12
Old 11-26-2019, 05:23 PM

About 10yrs ago we took our daughter to Florida when she was 5. Pre-purchased passes to all of the Disney parks in advance to save a bit of money. In hindsight I wish that we hadn't, as she couldn't have cared less about the Disney characters/princesses/rides, but we obviously felt obligated to use the passes. She did however enjoy Sea World/Aquatica water park and Busch Gardens in Tampa. The combination of better rides and more interactive activities with the animals were much more of a draw for her. I wish I would've know that beforehand, as I would have saved a ton of money and spent time a parks that were a lot less busy.

I honestly think that she enjoyed Silverwood in Idaho better than the Disney parks, whew.

As far as Disney parks, meh. Have been to Disneyland, Disneyland Paris and the Disney parks in Florida, won't be hitting them up again.

Edit: As far as the California parks, I agree about Knotts, Six Flags, Sea World and the San Diego Zoo. I've not been to Legoland. When we were last in California (San Diego) our daughter was 12. We gave the option of a day trip to LA to see a theme park, or an Oilers/Kings game at the Staples Center. She chose the game, I was happy.

Last edited by HVA7mm; 11-26-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:28 PM

All good suggestions for sure. We did the Knotsberry, Universal Studios and cause our kids were all big enough we also went to six flags. Was quite a drive from Orange County but well worth it. Rented 7 seater van and stayed about ten min bus ride away from Disneyland entrance. You gotta see the night time show at Disney. Amazing
Old 11-26-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter12 View Post
We were there in 2014.
My wife planed it all ,Flight in San Diego, rented a car over there ,visited Their ZOO.3 days in a hotel.
Then drove to LA and stayed in a hotel for another 4 days in Long Beach area , stopped in LEGOLAND on a way.
2 adults and two kids was around 7K all in and Canadian dollar was much stronger then.

S12
I believe we did 2013-2104 as well, and the dollar was par almost par at the time so it was easier to spend US money...LOL

I think we went to Mexico the year before and the dollar was at par...Throwing us dollars around getting free drinks...LOL
Old 11-26-2019, 06:14 PM

Thumbs down disney california

every ride is 40 min wait, extremely crowed and lots of expensive Disney souvenior fresh off the boat from china . we went there in october, my daughter seem to enjoy it , its was pack house think of K days x2 and that was on a weekday, also get a good spot for the light show in the evening , cause there are lots of pushing and shoving rude *****s .. the staff there are like egyptian slave drivers cracking their whips... to tell people to moved along. and we brought ticket at the gate they are about $150usd price similar to the universal studio(better rides ) personaly i would not go back . and i had a more relaxing time at santa monica beach

ps they now served beer at the new star war section of the park all food and drinks are movie theatre price

Last edited by fishtank; 11-26-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
I believe we did 2013-2104 as well, and the dollar was par almost par at the time so it was easier to spend US money...LOL

I think we went to Mexico the year before and the dollar was at par...Throwing us dollars around getting free drinks...LOL
Yeh , this is something to consider for OP.
All those admissions are around $100.00US per person , makes it not cheap at all..
I would not do it again, but for the kids its all right to do it once.
S12
Old 11-26-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter12 View Post
We were there in 2014.

S12
HAHA...We kind of did the same trip..Legoland was ok for very young kids, Did the safari in San Diego, but Disney was OK to do one time, but Universal Studios, Sea world and knottsberry farm theme parks are way better.....

If into hockey, booked tickets for a LA game in the Staples center while there. Had a rental car, drove to the hollywood sign and through Beverly Hills, hollywood and Rodeo Drive....also, got to see Karate kid apartment and area...Trip of a lifetime

Edit...You are only down there once so splurge for the quickpass....More expensive but you can keep riding over and over...You are only there once and waiting in line for 30 minutes for one ride sucks....
Old 11-26-2019, 07:29 PM

We went last year. The best ride was the taxi back to the airport. We did a day at crescent beach. It was a nice spot. Universal studios was drastically overpriced and they sell way too many tickets.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:57 PM

Been there a few times. I would recommend to purchase a 5 or three day park hopper pass allows admission into both parks Disney and California adventure. ( they are attached but separate admission) Spread your days out over a week with days off inbetween to decompress. You and the kids will need it. Long days and lots of walking. Nice to have a day off to relax by the pool at the hotel or take a drive to the beach. We stayed in hotels close to the resort and most had free breakfast which can save you a pile on a family of 4 over a week. There are shuttles that run every 15 min to take you to the park from your hotel for like $3 per person for 3 days. I have gone in the spring and it was crazy. I prefer Mid janauary. The place is empty. No waiting. Californians do not like plus 20 weather it’s to cold for them. But the pools are closed in January. You used to be able to take a backpack in which is nice to bring water and snacks so you don’t have to pay $5 for a bottle of water. One year we had a kitchen suite and the hotel had BBQs to use so we headed to Safeway yes Safeway picked up some groceries and cooked for ourselves a few nights. Sea world is awesome and universal is mind blowing. LEGO land cool but not great.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
Been there a few times. I would recommend to purchase a 5 or three day park hopper pass allows admission into both parks Disney and California adventure. ( they are attached but separate admission) Spread your days out over a week with days off inbetween to decompress. You and the kids will need it. Long days and lots of walking. Nice to have a day off to relax by the pool at the hotel or take a drive to the beach. We stayed in hotels close to the resort and most had free breakfast which can save you a pile on a family of 4 over a week. There are shuttles that run every 15 min to take you to the park from your hotel for like $3 per person for 3 days. I have gone in the spring and it was crazy. I prefer Mid janauary. The place is empty. No waiting. Californians do not like plus 20 weather it’s to cold for them. But the pools are closed in January. You used to be able to take a backpack in which is nice to bring water and snacks so you don’t have to pay $5 for a bottle of water. One year we had a kitchen suite and the hotel had BBQs to use so we headed to Safeway yes Safeway picked up some groceries and cooked for ourselves a few nights. Sea world is awesome and universal is mind blowing. LEGO land cool but not great.
You can still take a back pack in with your own food...Went shopping, made sandwiches and saved a ton of money...

Like said before, rented an Airnb house and paid once for heat in the pool...

My kids could care less and swam in the pool...And always went in November school break...
Old 11-26-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:

You will need passports
Old 11-26-2019, 08:14 PM

search disneyland on facebook...lots of groups for planning, doing it cheap, with kids, etc.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
You will need passports
Really? Sure the op has thought of that..LOL
Old 11-26-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Really? Sure the op has thought of that..LOL
Yeah we have those lol
Old 11-26-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Yeah we have those lol
Have a great trip...And make sure you have really good shoes...I had no clue and walked with Crocs my entire first Disney trip and took tylenol every morning for pain...LOL

I bought Merrells expensive sandals for my next 2 trips to Florida and what a difference....Trust me...Have good shoes...LOL
Old 11-27-2019, 10:47 AM

I took my kids to Disney World in Florida at Halloween, The Magic Kingdom Part had a Halloween event that went on for the whole week, I think we paid $60.00pp over and above your regular admission for it(but this was 10 years ago) that got you in the park after it closed 6pm I think till 10.

We had planned for 2 days at the Magic Kingdom and this was an extra few hours. As the evening had limited # of people, the event was amazing, park was still busy, but there was no line up for the rides, by the time you walked to the front of space mountain you were next in line. For buzz light year, they didn't even make you get off the ride if you didn't want to.

There was a few rides that were not open that evening, only two I can think of was Splash mountain and Mattahorn mountain. There was a special parade with the characters all dressed up in Halloween costumes, Goofy candy stations for the kids to get candy. This extra event was well worth the money, and I wouldn't have needed to spend any extra time at the magic Kingdom had I known it was going to be like that.

I believe they do these types of events at other times of the year like Christmas etc. We had to buy the tickets like 6 months in advance, but it was well worth it.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:24 PM

There are lots of motels on the east side of Disneyland with decent rates. Very quick walk to the main entrance. Getting from LAX airport to Anaheim is quite a long ways, way longer than I remember it being as a kid. We used UBER Black last time. It was a suburban. Lots of room.

We went for 2 days in Disneyland and 2 days in California adventure. The tickets were park hopper.

Downloading the app and using fastpass is a must. The standby lines can get really long. Then again, there were times where major attractions had next to no lines so you never know.

Check their website to see if any rides are closed during your visit. Splash Mountain and Pirates of the Caribbean are my favorites and it would suck to go and not experience them. Also, Splash Mountain soaks you. Can't remember it doing that when I was a kid but now, if you sit in the front half of the log, prepare for a wave of water at every drop. You're shoes will get soaked. We got hammered with water right on the first day, first ride. Still didn't stop me from riding it again and again.

Radiator Springs Racers (in Cali Adventure) had horrible, horrible lines... even with fastpass. If you go early in the morning, be sure to hit that one first. And then go straight to Guardians of Galaxy: Mission Breakout, it also gets busy.

EDIT: Also, there is a new Star Wars ride and another one set to open in January. I heard that Disney was expecting to reach 'park capacity' because of them in their busy season. Star Wars brings out a lot of adults.
Are going insane.

Last edited by the.tru.albertan; 11-27-2019 at 10:33 PM.