Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-28-2010, 06:49 PM

Default nosler partitions

I was just at wsp today to buy federal premium 7m-08 nosler partition bullets. The salesman 2 weaks earlier recommended them as a above average deer load, after my new sako 75 shot a half inch group I was back to buy enough to last a few years. Another rep tells me their only good for boiler room shots
[which is where i go for anyway] , not shoulder shots. I see people in the latest 25-06 for moose blog recommending them in lighter grains for moose. What gives, I want a good bullet that that will bring a good buck boiler room shoulder shot ,strait on ect. IF this is not your recommendation what is? thanks in advance.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:57 PM

Partition is fine for whatever shot you choose on a deer.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:03 PM

The nosler partition is the original controlled expansion bullet and will do anything you need. If it shoots good in your gun use it. You can`t go wrong!
Old 05-28-2010, 07:54 PM

Nosler partions are great performing bullets. The second sales person you talked to don't know s*** I've shot moose and elk in the shoulder and they perform perfect.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:02 PM

I've used partitions in many calibers almost exclusively for most of my hunting loads. Good angle, bad angle, long shot or close up they just work! Awesome bullet. Never put to much into what the sales guys at wholesale or any other gun store tell you.If your gun likes them go hunting and forget about the rest. I'm surely not saying they are the only bullet to shoot but they are definately one of the best.I have watched them punch through bones and flesh on everything from deer, elk, bears and moose.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailhntr View Post
I've used partitions in many calibers almost exclusively for most of my hunting loads. Good angle, bad angle, long shot or close up they just work! Awesome bullet. Never put to much into what the sales guys at wholesale or any other gun store tell you.If your gun likes them go hunting and forget about the rest. I'm surely not saying they are the only bullet to shoot but they are definately one of the best.I have watched them punch through bones and flesh on everything from deer, elk, bears and moose.
same experience...
Great bullet.

cohod
Old 05-28-2010, 08:57 PM

Default partitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTrapper View Post
Another rep tells me their only good for boiler room shots
He has obviously never had much field experience with them. As another member pointed out Partitions are the original "premium" controlled expansion bullet. They will work on deer, regardless of the angle. Excellent bullets, do not hesitate to use them on anything !!
Old 05-28-2010, 10:49 PM

I went to the nosler sight which is something I should of done before i went to wsp, it seams their best all around bullet for deer, moose, and african game is the partition, built for expansion and penetration. Thanks to all of you that responded to my blog I for a moment their I thought i blew a lot of money on 3 boxes of shells , Confidence in my shells and rifle is is important to me.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:37 PM

no u bought a great bullet, unfortunatly my gun shoots them into 3 inch groups and i cant use them, so i went for another but they arent a bad bullet in any way.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:42 PM
Banned

so you bought 3 boxes of shells and thats enough for a few years? how much do you shoot to gain that confidence you are looking for? not arguing...just asking.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
so you bought 3 boxes of shells and thats enough for a few years? how much do you shoot to gain that confidence you are looking for?
Confidence means something different,to different people.For me ,three boxes of shells would be enough to sight the gun in, shoot groups out to 500 yards,to learn the trajectory,and a couple of practice sessions.My confidence comes from learning the gun and load,and from regular practice,and three boxes wouldn't last me until the first hunting season.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:33 AM
Banned

i was kinda thinkin a similar thing as that would be nowhere near enough for me. i do wish if you are gonna quote me, that you dont omit anything. im still not looking to argue and still just asking. i reckon if the op shoots 15 at the range at 100 yards and hunts at short range and kills one deer a year, then for him thats enough. just wondering is all.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:26 PM

i shoot coyotes all winter winter with a same model of rifle and similar trigger, using the same rifle to shoot crows while out gopher shooting. Also i like to call my deer in and kill most of them at 25yards, Hopefully ill take 3shots in the fall to check out the zero and one more in the season.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:45 PM

I use partitions in both my 30-06 and 25-06 for everything...great bullet IMO
Old 05-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTrapper View Post
Also i like to call my deer in and kill most of them at 25yards, Hopefully ill take 3shots in the fall to check out the zero and one more in the season.
That's pretty much what most hunters I know do. Confirm that the rifle is still zero'd and get the feel for a few shots and off they go. It might be hard for some posters to imagine but a box of shells would last me 3 years sometimes, depending on the number of tags that I had to fill. Nowadays I have more time (and money to spend) on my hands so I do a bit more shooting. I usually take my deer under 100 yards too but it's nice to feel comfortable taking a 300 yard shot on a moose if the opportunity presents itself.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Banned

Nosler partitions is all that I use. It's worked great for me in the past so I stuck with it.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Banned

i agree dave...thats how most guys i know do it too. MadT, i guess i have just gotten used to most of the guys on here talking about shooting way more. sometimes just to shoot, and sometimes because they hunt a lot. me personally, i figure i likely average 6-8 big game animals a year plus coyotes, plus a lot of practicing. i have a great load working for me in my gun, so only a few on the bench to ensure the gun is shooting where it should then offhand shooting, prone, from the knee etc. i dont shoot anywhere near what a lot of guys here do, but i shoot more than most guys i know. heck MadT, you remind me of my grandfather. he used to be proud of the fact that he shot 5 rounds or less a year and brought home 2 deer. if thats all you need thats great!
Old 05-29-2010, 08:07 PM

I shot nosler 180 gr. partitions with 80gr of h4831 in my old 300 weatherby. Over the 15 years I owned that rifle I can't remember all the animals that bullet cleanly harvested from 50 ft. to my longest shot of 380 some paces. The only thing I found was they tended to get beat up in the magazine well. Not really sure how much if any it would effect the flight of the bullet if shots are kept to a sensible range.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:27 PM

I have noticed that the tips will get deformed in the magazine but even shooting at the range I have found it didn't make a difference in group size and the moose sure won't know the difference.

Every moose I have shot has been with my tikka 300wsm and a 165 partition - nice penetration, good expansion and makes lungs and heart turn to jelly! A great bullet, you pay for them but you know they will perform.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:29 PM

I shot 180 gr partitions out of my first 308 Norma Mag, shot a couple deer, and a 53" bull moose at 425 yards through both shoulders, and ended up just under the hide on the far side. It retained 86% of its original weight and dropped the big bull there on the spot. They have been putting animals down for years with very good results. They will flatten out from the recoil even in the mag, but don't worry too much about it. Unless you're stretching the shots way out there they will work with the flatter tip.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:07 PM
Banned

Partitions were probably the first premium bullet. Today, they still rank up there even though many have tried to re-invent the wheel. That second salesman you spoke with should be transfered to the fishing department and restricted to selling sinkers only.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:46 PM

Default nosler partitions

the partition is a great bullet , I use the 150 & 165 out of 89 grains of h1000 in a weatherby with excellent results. As for the wss issure I have not had very much good service there and will not shop there in the future.