Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-29-2010, 05:58 PM

Default Protecting blued steel/wood stock rifles

I will be hunting next year with a Remington BDL in .300 WM, which has so far been a safe queen. I want to use it but not abuse it, so I want to protect it properly when in the field. What do you folks do when hunting to keep your blued steel from rusting, and your walnut stocks from swelling or warping?

Many thanks!
Old 05-29-2010, 06:21 PM

In the past to prevent warping/swelling of a rifle stock I have pulled the action out of the stock and sealed any exsposed would with a thin layer of any sort of sealant. I have used varathane in light coats once even used clear nail polish.
As far as the metal goes just keep it dry after everyday use,and I will very lightly oil mine if they are going to be sitting in the safe too long.

A de humidifier in your safe is a good idea as well

Hope some of this helps

Ian
Old 05-29-2010, 07:13 PM

A good rub with a silicone cloth and if you are really worried, a silicone gun sock prevents rust. Given the season and the weather in Alberta, I can't say that I've ever seriously worried about a wood rifle stock warping.

Duck guns however, seem to get abused and I've wrecked the fore end on a 870 before.

Whatever you do, don't store your guns in the cases.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:41 PM

X2 on case storage!
I wipe mine down with stock wax occasionally, and the metal gets wiped with G96 every time I use my shotguns - and i've used them in some NASTY weather with no problems, same as my rifles.
I seal the inside of the stock and the recoil pad/butt plate, and take the swivels off and seal them as well.
Cat
Old 05-30-2010, 09:47 AM

tung oil is a very good deep penetrating sealant.the beauty of tung oil is it does not "build up" like some others.fluid film is as good as any for controlling rust.