Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2013, 03:17 PM

Default TipiTent Outfitter

I'm not sure if this goes in the fishing or general discussion area

Long story short, I ended up with an Outfitter TipiTent (16' diameter) several years ago and haven't had it out of the bag. (I also have a MacPherson so haven't had a use for the tipi).

I was out on the ice last weekend and while trying to outsmart some lakers I got to thinking that the tipi might be the answer instead of shelling out cash for an ice fishing tent.

Now to my question: Has anyone used these on the ice? I searched the forum and got about 40 billion hits on "tipi" but nothing specific to use on the ice.

When we set it up in my buddy's yard about a thousand years ago, it was a giant pain in the nether regions to get it set up. Is there a trick to doing this right? How long should it take an average man to set one up by myself?

My thought is to bring a cordless drill and poke some oversized holes for the tent pegs. This should make teardown easier...right?

Anyways, any thoughts or anecdotes on these things are welcome.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:52 PM

Sell the tent and you could buy a nice ice tent.
I could see it being a PITA to set up, a ice tent is easy and it's also easy to move.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Banned

How come you did not use the tent?

Anything wrong with their design?

I would have figured it would be a neat little set up out of yellowknife.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:43 PM

when i was in the armed forces we went ice fishing at lake newell we used our artic bell tents to fish and sleep on the iceworks great

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 02-15-2013, 09:59 PM

OK, I told you it was a long story and I was going to make it short. So to answer questions:

My best friend in the world was diagnosed with liver cancer several years ago. He was given a short period of time left on God's green Earth, so he decided he was going to make the most of it. Part of his plan was to raise some money to donate to Cross Cancer Institute. He decided he and his two kids would do a long distance paddle in canoes and kayaks down the North Sask River.

In his search for suitable camping accommodations on the trip, he began to look for light weight with most area, and for some reason his eyes lit up on the Tipitent. I told him he was an idiot, but he was persistent. He dragged me to the Edmonton Outdoors Show and we sat in the tent they had on display. I spent a fair bit of time pointing out all the failures I saw in his choice in tents, and even though I feel I made my position clear, I still ended up carrying the thing out of the show (as he was quite a ways down the road in his illness, and was getting weak from chimo - he was not capable of carrying it).

We took this thing to his place and the show began. We fought that thing for quite some time until we wrestled it into submission. We got it up and it was spectacular. Lots of space and plenty of room for kit.

Then we took it down and put it away. That was the last time the tent saw the light of day.

He passed away shortly after this, succumbing to liver cancer that tore this mountain of a man down to skin and bones. I wouldn't wish his death on my worst enemy.

Anyways, I later came to find out that dirty old fart had actually WILLED me the friggin Tipitent!!! Specifically mentioned me and the tent in his will!!!

So all that being said, I can't sell the darn thing as his widow makes sure to ask me about it every time we talk. As well, to be honest, I just can't bring myself to part with it.

Now as I asked in my first post - is there a trick to setting these things up? I have to figure this out. I cannot let him pull this on me!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:02 PM

Well, sunny skies and civilized temperatures made for a great day on the ice.

Tipitent went up without too much of a wrassle:

I drilled holes with a cordless drill and just set tent pegs in to lash to. Seemed to work out alright:

My offspring caught the only fish of the day
Old 02-16-2013, 06:10 PM

That is one sweet story dcutter, glad You shared it with us. I'm sure your buddy has the biggest smile on his face.