Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-08-2010, 04:01 PM

Thumbs up Ram hunting

From what I have been told you should be at least two people per ram to carry it out. I was wondering if any of you have or know of a way that you can carry out one ram per person?
The people I know that go after rams say they have a hard enough time carrying out one ram with two people sharing the load, and they don't think it is possible to do it one person, one ram. I have been trying to think of ways to do this, but again if someone knows of a way or has done this then please fill me in on how.

I may be biting off more than I can chew, but I have a couple of thoughts on how I could potentially do this, but again any input would be appreciated.

As a side note... I am in shape and will be in shape for my hunt next year so fitness should not be an issue.

I might a bit too greedy as I don't want to wait 3 years before it is my "turn" to get a sheep haha
Old 12-08-2010, 04:03 PM

Also I am unsure about what boots to buy so any suggestions on those would be appreciated as well

thanks
Old 12-08-2010, 04:06 PM

My brother and I took out 1 dall sheep(smaller than a big horn) and it darn near killled me. One the other hand I have a friend who went in with 2 of his buddies and they each got a sheep. These guys are machines and they still had trouble carrying out a sheep each. Cheers SM
Old 12-08-2010, 04:07 PM

im no "alfred" einstein but wouldn't multiple trips solve your problem?
Old 12-08-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacan View Post
I was wondering if any of you have or know of a way that you can carry out one ram per person?
Real simple, two trips.

If you are backpacking a camp, 3 trips.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:13 PM

Buy a horse if you want to get it out in one trip. As far as boots go, I've got a pair of Kenetrek's and a pair of Asolo's and they're both great in the mountains.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 12-08-2010, 04:14 PM

You could eat half of it there.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findal View Post
just make sure you bring lots of tp...... sheeparhea is the worst!
Old 12-08-2010, 04:21 PM

Haha yeah I know that more trips would be one way, but the problem with that is that it is about two days hiking into the area. Now I don't really see that as an option. The first part of the hike in I could maybe take like a modified "dolly" and then leave it somewhere. That is one option I am considering and then I can do two or three trips to the dolly and back, and then one trip out with the dolly from there. I havent really thought this idea through that much, but it is just one option I am considering. To do two or three trips to get the ram out is not an option as it would take too long, especially if I dont get the ram early on in my hunt.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:27 PM
sheephunter

With no other gear, packing an entire ram would definitely be doable but unfortantely, if you are a couple days in, you need gear. When I was much younger and much tougher, I'd have considered a 5-6 hour pack with a ram and minimal gear so depending on the shape you are in, I wouldn't say it's impossible but with a ram and gear you are going to be in the 160 pound plus range. Not sure you could sustain that load for a couple days...a couple hours for sure but a couple days, I doubt it.

There's likely a guide or two on here that's done it though

I like Lowa Tibet GTX boots.

I'm still working on a way to dehydrate pack horses but no luck so far.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:35 PM

Thanks Sheephunter

So of that 170 pound range, how much of that will be because of the ram itself? I did a hard hike this summer and I managed to keep my pack weight fairly low. Of course I would have a heavier pack regardless as I need a few more things on a ram hunt but I just want to figure out an approximate minimum, and maximum range of what I would probably be carrying out.

Thanks again

Last edited by sacan; 12-08-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I was thinking along the same lines as i was thinking of telling him to bring a knife and fork and maybe a little salt and pepper.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post

There's likely a guide or two on here that's done it though
lmao
Old 12-08-2010, 04:44 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Thanks Sheephunter

So of that 170 pound range, how much of that will be because of the ram itself? I did a hard hike this summer and I managed to keep my pack weight fairly low. Of course I would have a heavier pack regardless as I need a few more things on a ram hunt but I just want to figure out an approximate minimum, and maximum range of what I would probably be carrying out.

Thanks again
With cape and horns, you are looking at a minimum of 120 pounds....more on a big ram.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:49 PM

our ram head/horns and cape alone were over 50 lbs. I would think with one guy it would be 3 trips if you have any distance to cover. But hey if you got the time why not.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:51 PM

Oh yeah thanks.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:01 PM

With the distance in you describe hiring a packer would be the thing to do.

Or bring a buddy that is built like a pack mule!
Old 12-08-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Or, hope a Grizz comes along and does the job for you. Personally, I like the horse idea. Much easier on the back.

Grizz
Old 12-08-2010, 06:55 PM

A good pack might make it easier. Not easy but easier. Had a buddy show me a picture of him packing his camp and some elk meat and it was around 130 lbs. His dog packed out 25-30 lbs as well. trekking poles will help if used right with such a heavy load.
If deboned completely what would the weight be on a sheep?
Old 12-08-2010, 06:57 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot270 View Post
If deboned completely what would the weight be on a sheep?
With cape and head 120+ pounds.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
With cape and horns, you are looking at a minimum of 120 pounds....more on a big ram.
If I leave my hair really wet after a shower I may hit 135 lbs on the old scale. I don't think I'll be carrying 120 lbs PLUS gear any time soon; as in "not in this life".

I've looked and drooled over maps in the past and made all sorts of plans, but came to the conclusion that without a horse or one or two friendly individuals that will come help carry, certain areas I just won't be hunting.

The last time I turned around it was mid-October, -20 oC, the snow was a foot deep, I had hiked some 12km the first day, most of it in a snowstorm that wasn't in the forecast, made camp early, hiked a few more km in the morning. At one point with a few more km more to go to the entrance of the basin I wanted to hunt I started thinking about a dead ram, at the end of the day, maybe 8 km from camp or so. Some guys may be able to do stuff like that, solo, but they are tougher than I am.

Sucks, but that's the reality.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:22 PM

The other way to do it by yourself would be to "leap-frog" it out. If you have an external frame pack that has a detachable bag you can make one pack into two. Slpit the load between the two packs, carry one at a time a short distance (2-3 hundred yards) set it down and then go back and get the other pack you left behind and take it up past the first pack. This method does take a while to get everything out but it is effective way to carry a sheep out by yourself. I've been in on a pack out like this where three of us had to take two rams plus camp out. It took most of the day but it was still quicker than making two complete trips. Of course it depends on how great of distance you need to cover in your situation.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
just make sure you bring lots of tp...... sheeparhea is the worst!
Old 12-08-2010, 07:34 PM

Father in laws ram was 130lbs boned out this last August. I didn't weigh the head and cape but it was probably 40lbs.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:19 PM

I use hiking poles with a heavy load. They will give you some extra stability and should help you balance the extra weight. Train a lot with a very heavy pack as it will give you a good idea of what you are capable of. De-bone and trim your meat as best you can on the mountain and eat as much as you can before the hike out. I had to do two trips this year(meat one, sheep second) and couldn't personally carry more weight but it will depend on the individual and how capable you are carrying big weight.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:29 PM

Default I'll come!

Quote:
I might a bit too greedy as I don't want to wait 3 years before it is my "turn" to get a sheep haha
If you're that confident that you can pull a ram each out of this spot, I'd happily volunteer my services to come and help pack out you and your buddy's rams. Just don't make me wear a blindfold
Old 12-08-2010, 08:40 PM

Sheep hunter nailed it, you need an empty pack and it is dooable. I packed my 408 ram out last year that i had to leave overnight. i headed up first thing in the morning with an empty 100L internal frame lined with a heavy duty clar plastic bag, fill the bag with meat, put the head and cape in on top. Pack was around 120lbs, i am 160 in sheep shape. my shoulders hurt just thinkin about it. my waiste buckle broke that trip and had to put all the weight on my shoulders....ouch!
Old 12-08-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRL View Post
The other way to do it by yourself would be to "leap-frog" it out. If you have an external frame pack that has a detachable bag you can make one pack into two. Slpit the load between the two packs, carry one at a time a short distance (2-3 hundred yards) set it down and then go back and get the other pack you left behind and take it up past the first pack. This method does take a while to get everything out but it is effective way to carry a sheep out by yourself. I've been in on a pack out like this where three of us had to take two rams plus camp out. It took most of the day but it was still quicker than making two complete trips. Of course it depends on how great of distance you need to cover in your situation.
maybe i'm missing something here, but how is this quicker than 2 trips? Your covering the same amount of ground as 2 trips plus all the extra effort of swapping the packs, lifting etc.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:47 PM

I have been on three successful sheep hunts in the last 5 years, all pack hunts. I had to pack a half of a sheep plus my gear 9 kms out on the last trip took a whole day. My friend shot the sheep in a lower basin so we had to hike back up 1500' just to get back to the ridgeline, that was brutal. I could not lift my pack onto my back my friend had to lift it while i put it on. Doing a one man sheep hunt would be a little sketchy in my books( twisted ankle or somthin). My favorite boots are Asolo never had a blister and never had to breakem in. My average pack wieght before sheep meet would be between 40-50 pounds. I would love to go lighter than 40lbs and am still workin on that. Good luck!
Old 12-08-2010, 09:00 PM

on most of my sheep hunts this year I was packin about 53 lbs for 2 - 3 day trips !! I personally dont think it would be worth it to try and do it in one trip !! pack out what you can and go back with some buddies and get the rest !! Thats what my plan is ....

Tags
alberta, mountains, ram, ram hunt, sheep