Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 04:38 PM

Default Fish for dog food

Seen on a different place, that a guy was charged for wasting fish for feeding it to his dog. He won the case in court, as he used the fish for his daily limit. But it cost him 9 hours travel time and 2 missed days of work. What are your thoughts of using the fish people catch as dog food? I see it as legal and all but I feel there are better choices for dog food with our fragile fishery. Each to their own I guess. Anyone else see that thread?
Old 01-15-2019, 04:43 PM

I love my beagles and i treat them as my equal. I dont see a problem.

I don't do this since I feed my pups dog food from the pet store. But if I ever offered them my fish as treats and someone made a fuss about it I would be upset.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-15-2019, 05:24 PM

I saw the post as well.
If I shoot a deer and decide to give my dog a hind leg that's no problem and my choice.....so I dont see an issue here either especially if the dog is actually eating/chewing the fish. If it was running wild grabbing randoms off the ice and just playing with them then there would be an issue as that would be wasteful. Seems like this case was pretty cut and dry and blown way out of proportion.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:44 PM
Gone Hunting

With this carp invasion I'm surprised someone isn't netting them, and processing them for pet food.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-15-2019, 07:06 PM

Personally I see at as a waste, but I’m not a dog owner. Don’t see much difference between feeding it to your dog or using it as coyote/bear bait.

See lots of a certain ethnicity using netted fish as dog food. Probably would be considered racism and an affront to their rights if deemed wasting game.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_man View Post
I love my beagles and i treat them as my equal. I dont see a problem.

I don't do this since I feed my pups dog food from the pet store. But if I ever offered them my fish as treats and someone made a fuss about it I would be upset.
Good food from a pet store

If your dogs had a diet of fish, chicken, venison they would be in better health....don't judge the book by its cover....internally.....sled dogs eat what?
Wolves eat....little girls with red hoods

To the OP if a buddy drops off fish and we eat I go pave a chunk to the dog, if she spits it out I make a burger......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-16-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
With this carp invasion I'm surprised someone isn't netting them, and processing them for pet food.
I believe they are doing that or have in Sask. i think it was a Quappelle chain lake.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:14 AM

My grandparents used to make cat food out of suckers. I think I remember reading that there's a guy that uses the perch out of Sundance to feed his dogs.

I don't see anything wrong with using rough fish (within reasonable quantities) or invasive species to feed your pets. Can't say I'd be too impressed to see someone toss a 20in 'eye to their mutt, though
Old 01-16-2019, 09:25 AM

When I fillet my fish, I take the skins and hang in a tree to dry. Then use those as treats for the pup. Gobbles them up like theres no tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:16 AM

On the fence.

When I watch Life Below Zero and see all the fish they take out of the salmon run just to feed the dogs and themselves, I think it is ok. There is an abundance and due to their locations and lifestyles, it is needed.

Here in the burbs and with the fishery lacking in keep limits, I'm with you Moose. Eat the fish and give your dog something else.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritterCommander View Post
When I fillet my fish, I take the skins and hang in a tree to dry. Then use those as treats for the pup. Gobbles them up like theres no tomorrow.
Awesome better than some store bought whatever it mimics

Old 01-17-2019, 07:48 AM
Banned

My sister and brother in law feed various wildlife to their multiple dogs. In fact, any deer he gets go to dog food. It infuriates me, as I feel it is a waste of meat, but I have not had the guts to report them. Besides, how would one prove that is what is happening. Moose they eat themselves, but deer goes literally, to the dogs.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243plus View Post
My sister and brother in law feed various wildlife to their multiple dogs. In fact, any deer he gets go to dog food. It infuriates me, as I feel it is a waste of meat, but I have not had the guts to report them. Besides, how would one prove that is what is happening. Moose they eat themselves, but deer goes literally, to the dogs.
Carcass etc sits out all winter in the back forty for whoever wants a good chew...is there a law that you must eat all your wild game or can you share with your pets which in some cases or many cases I hold to a higher standard them some two legged goofs...why? because they are best friends....

Old 01-19-2019, 12:53 PM

I’m on the fence as well. I’m not a dog owner so I don’t have the same feeling towards dogs that a dog owner might. Personally I see it as a waste of an already depleted resource. Your daily limit of fish was/is meant for
Human consumption in my mind. Feed the scraps to your dog, sure, but not the whole fish. Seems like a waste to me.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:15 PM

Hmm... dog gets left overs if there are any... his regular dog food is expensive enough...
Old 01-19-2019, 09:51 PM

Buy the dog a license and let him catch his own fish.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:57 PM

Lake closure after lake closure for retention in Alberta and people think it’s acceptable to feed fish to their dogs?
Old 01-19-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243plus View Post
This is the stupidest thing I have read on this forum. Report them !? For what ?? Feeding their dogs wild meat ? There is nothing wrong with that or anything illegal about it. You may not like it but you can pound sand. My dogs literally eat apart of every deer I harvest. My dogsnonly eat raw not this store bought **** with preservatives and filler. Nothing on any of my animals is wasted.
Check your opinion of what others do with their harvest at the back door.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiecat View Post
This is the stupidest thing I have read on this forum. Report them !? For what ?? Feeding their dogs wild meat ? There is nothing wrong with that or anything illegal about it. You may not like it but you can pound sand. My dogs literally eat apart of every deer I harvest. My dogsnonly eat raw not this store bought **** with preservatives and filler. Nothing on any of my animals is wasted.
If its not illegal, it darn well should be! Waste scraps fine but if one is using deer just to feed their dogs it should be illegal.

Others out there want to eat them and people are feeding dogs????

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiecat View Post
So you feel it is A-OK to hunt a deer, and the whole deer ends up as dog food? Really? Because that is what they do.

I've got no problem with bones, scraps, guts etc, but the whole deer?
Old 01-20-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
Lake closure after lake closure for retention in Alberta and people think it’s acceptable to feed fish to their dogs?
Lake closures etc are due to us not managing us even if we can keep a legal fish sometimes we just gotta see the big picture.....as for feeding your family me,her be it a dog or a Sasquatch it's all good.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Lake closures etc are due to us not managing us even if we can keep a legal fish sometimes we just gotta see the big picture.....as for feeding your family me,her be it a dog or a Sasquatch it's all good.
I guess I’ll have to agree to disagree. I’m not a dog owner so in my opinion feeding anything but the scraps to animals is a waste of edible meat. I agree that the couple shooting deer just to feed to the dogs should be illegal. It’s a limited resource and to me this is a waste. Not much different than feeding it to coyotes in my opinion.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:08 PM

I own a dog and to me it's waste of edible game fish or deer. I understand scraps and bones etc. I think they deserve a little more respect than just feeding them to the dogs
Old 01-23-2019, 11:54 AM

think about how many fries and minnows are dying on a day to day basis to feed the larger fish in any given lake. I seriously doubt taking 1-2 fish being fed to your dog by one guy at one time makes any difference to fishing pressure...

As long as it's part of his daily limit does it matter if the fish gets eaten by a human or dog or otherwise? it's still a fish that will die anyways.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:44 PM

You know what the biggest problem is, no one has any secrets this day and age. Everything has to be advertised for the world to see. Just because we do something doesn't mean we have to share it with the world.

Ssssshhhhhhh.