Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-18-2015, 11:15 AM

Default Breakaways

What size breakaways are you guys using for coyotes? And what size should hold a wolf? Set up my first ever bait yesterday, went and checked it this morning and I had two breakaways snapped, with really no sign of struggle.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:06 PM

Was there hair on the lock. Maybe it was moose or deer. Coyote break away I use are 265lbs. I had one coyote get out of the break away. There was fur in the lock.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:31 PM
Banned

Mine are 280 lbs for coyotes. Perhaps it was a large game animal and the BAD's worked like they were supposed to.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:17 PM

They were 385 breakaways. No hair nothing it was weird. There are wolves in the area that's why I decided to go with 385. They were both snapped clean. Was a perfect break I would of though they would bend not snap the metal.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:49 PM

I've had a couple open up but never a broken one. Where did they come from?
Old 10-18-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
I've had a couple open up but never a broken one. Where did they come from?
Bought them from halford hides. Ya seemed weird was a perfect break, but I don't have any experience with them so didn't know if them breaking was normal.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:18 PM

Post a pic of your crimped BAD on a snare and a pic of the sheared one.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:54 PM

Here are the pics... this sucks

Old 10-18-2015, 05:43 PM

I see the problem in the picture!! Your installing them upside down. Just kidding, must be a bad batch.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:56 PM

Default Breakaways

I've had them open, I use 265's, but have never had one break. Go to a different brand.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:05 PM
Banned

Would sudden, powerful jerk from a moose leg break it before it had time to bend?
I wonder what the tensile strength of the BAD wire is?
Old 10-18-2015, 06:25 PM

Ya I hope I don't need to replace them all going to leave them out for another night and see. Was going to set up another cupel baits but I'm going to wait. made 200 with those breakaways so it would be a crappy to have to replace them all but I will be if I keep having this issue.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:35 PM
Banned

There's got to be a way to test them. What if you put the noose around a baseball bat, anchored the end and take a swing? Something like that might shed some light on it.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
There's got to be a way to test them. What if you put the noose around a baseball bat, anchored the end and take a swing? Something like that might shed some light on it.
Ya I was thinking that. I was going to attach one to the truck and see how it worked if it bent or snapped again.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:58 PM
Banned

I'm curious as to how this experiment works. It'd be good to know if I ever run across it. I had one BAD work properly last year on a deer. The deer never even broke stride....lol.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:25 PM

Yotes I use 265's slightly overcrimped, wolves 645. Never had any animal other than yotes stick in the 265's (see my post on BAD's). With kill springs even had a yote that jumped off a hay bale and got a leg in and was alive due to a non-neck catch didn't bend it at all.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:28 PM

Is there a chance you work hardened the breakaway bending it more than once? If they are Senneker BADS I would pm him and get his thoughts.

If I was having issues like that this early in the season I would be pulling the suspect snares and setting something I had confidence in.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:28 PM

Without kill springs (just noticed you aren't running one), the system will react differently, maybe go with Marty's 385's, will still let cow's go but they will kill deer if you catch a small one.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
They have been tested extensively that's why they are in production. If you really want to discuss this ask marty senneker he is one of the leaders in making thease happen. He is a sponsor for this forum. Thanks Marty, in the mountains with 750 bads I have had at least a dozen moose an a few elk strech the bads out. In the coyote areas I have had two deer get out of yapper snares no problem. They should be mandatory.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daslogster View Post
Without kill springs (just noticed you aren't running one), the system will react differently, maybe go with Marty's 385's, will still let cow's go but they will kill deer if you catch a small one.
Ya I have kill springs on most my snares. The one that broke did have one of Marty's springs on it.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
They have been tested extensively that's why they are in production. If you really want to discuss this ask marty senneker he is one of the leaders in making thease happen. He is a sponsor for this forum. Thanks Marty, in the mountains with 750 bads I have had at least a dozen moose an a few elk strech the bads out. In the coyote areas I have had two deer get out of yapper snares no problem. They should be mandatory.
I notice you're using 750 BADS. Wouldn't Gboes 385's be light for wolves on a non kill spring snare? Disregarding the fact it broke instead of opening?
Old 10-18-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
Is there a chance you work hardened the breakaway bending it more than once? If they are Senneker BADS I would pm him and get his thoughts.

If I was having issues like that this early in the season I would be pulling the suspect snares and setting something I had confidence in.
We'll it's my first year on my first set so I don't have much confidence in anything. I have a bunch of 750 BADs on snares.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:48 PM
AO Sponsor

385's and 265 lb S-hooks are both designed to be used with a stinger kill spring. Both are ultra light breakaways and break significantly less than the American 285 lb BADs, the testing was done in two different labs in two different countries.

385's are tough enough probably to be used with a short snare and no spring. I see you are using these without springs. Simply over crimping the devices in the field will increase your holding poundage.

How long of snares are you using these BADs with is another massive factor. Wolves will open the 385s, they are designed for deer size animals and larger to open the device. Wolves are stronger than deer.

It looks like the s hook must have gotten bound up on the hole of the lock and the strong loop that should have held physically broke. This is not normal. It's possible that the one in the photo was stressed in the crimping. S hooks are supposed to stretch open, the steel is not supposed to stress and break.

If I was snaring wolves, no kill spring, I'd use either a 750 or 1000 lb, and I'd limit my snare length to not more than 12 or so feet, 15+ is going to allow an animal to exert too much force. But the spring is a nice part of the breakaway equation. Smaller critters like coyotes, the spring cushions/protects the BAD, but big game flatten the spring and it becomes of no consequence and at that point a lighter BAD is easily engaged.

Hopefully it was big game this time and you saved the day.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:50 PM

X2 on heavy BAD's for wolves. They can exert 6x their bodyweight on a setup, never had one tear loose a 645 bad. Would never trust anything lighter against a wolf.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:01 PM

Old 10-18-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
385's and 265 lb S-hooks are both designed to be used with a stinger kill spring. Both are ultra light breakaways and break significantly less than the American 285 lb BADs, the testing was done in two different labs in two different countries.

385's are tough enough probably to be used with a short snare and no spring. I see you are using these without springs. Simply over crimping the devices in the field will increase your holding poundage.

How long of snares are you using these BADs with is another massive factor. Wolves will open the 385s, they are designed for deer size animals and larger to open the device. Wolves are stronger than deer.

It looks like the s hook must have gotten bound up on the hole of the lock and the strong loop that should have held physically broke. This is not normal. It's possible that the one in the photo was stressed in the crimping. S hooks are supposed to stretch open, the steel is not supposed to stress and break.

If I was snaring wolves, no kill spring, I'd use either a 750 or 1000 lb, and I'd limit my snare length to not more than 12 or so feet, 15+ is going to allow an animal to exert too much force. But the spring is a nice part of the breakaway equation. Smaller critters like coyotes, the spring cushions/protects the BAD, but big game flatten the spring and it becomes of no consequence and at that point a lighter BAD is easily engaged.

Thanks Marty. There was a kill spring on the one that broke. The snared showed was one that was made while I was waiting for springs to get in. The snare length was a 5 foot snare with 5 foot extension. The extension was about 4 feet up the tree.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post

Well said sir. The best invention for free hanging snares the others are your springs an triggers. Game changer is all I can say.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
I was referring to the actual wire that was used in that particular batch of BAD's and thinking that the wire may have been compromised somehow that caused it to become brittle for some reason. I find it weird that the wire would break as if it were brittle instead of bending as if it were softer. Could it possibly be a wire manufacturing problem with the wire being overheated during production? That's what I was getting at.

BAD's that actually break instead of bending....patent pending.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:55 AM
AO Sponsor

Looks and sounds like you hooked either a deer or moose or some other large critter and I take it that you weren't in wolf ground. Common for a big game animal to hit a couple of snares on his way thru and blow every BAD he hits. Kinda stinky when something blows out a half dozen snares, but having breakaways keeps the site clean.

It's going to be a rare day for a coyote to open or break a 385 with a kill spring. As said before, 385's open lighter than American 285's so when you are using a kill spring, don't do it with a 285 with lots of deer around.

All I use on coyotes are 265's. I over crimped them often on standard Stingers, but now with the magnums I am trying them non-overcrimped. The magnums are twice as strong as standard stingers and will affect the breakaway value on a snare.

Last edited by Marty S; 10-19-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:34 AM

how would a 750# breakaway do with cattle? i know a cow could open one she steps in but what about if a cow got her nose in a snare somehow? could she still open it up you think?