Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2010, 03:45 PM

Default Garmin Topographic Maps

I'm playing around with two different sets of topo data on my Garmin 60cx.

The first set is the data from Ibycus Topo. It's a data complied by a gent here in Calgary, using publicly available data (50K NTS sheets, and roads from GeoBase). It is free, but must be downloaded using BitTorrent (or other such torrent software) as the data set is huge. A search for "Ibycus" on Isohunt will turn it up.

The second set is the Western Canada Topographic V4 maps from Garmin. It costs +/- $100.

Has anyone compared these two data sets? I'm trying to determine what data to leave in the unit on a more-or-less permanent basis, and I'm actually leaning toward the free Ibycus data.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:00 PM
guidehunt

Thumbs up

try the bush maps they show all new cutlines in alberta . rob@patchmap.ca
Old 03-03-2010, 04:28 PM

The Bushmaps look interesting, and they might merit taking a look at. I'm curious though . . . have overgrown cutlines been removed from the data?

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:00 PM

I'm using the Map76 and really limited because I don't have cards to put in or take out - memory is fixed and SMALL. I still prefer the Ibycus. I cannot load all the data from here to there so I only load the maps of the area I will be in.

It has more data than the original topo maps and newer info too.

I just checked - my mapsource maps are version 2 so I guess they may have newer ones out now.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 03-03-2010, 07:52 PM

I just updated my mapsource and it now seems to be as good as or even better than Ibycus but not with the colour forests.

They are close enough to be dependant on your own preference.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 03-03-2010, 08:25 PM

I have heard that the Ibycus is very good except that you are unable to auto route with it.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:40 PM

i have garmin topo canada cd 145 for all of canada its good
Old 03-03-2010, 08:44 PM

I have both maps and they are both basically the same I would go with the free one now if you havent bought the garmin yet
Old 03-03-2010, 09:43 PM

I have both, the Ibycus lacks the road information to be able to determine routes. Topo Canada has road info that is so old that it is barely usable in cities so that may not be a concern to you. Major highways and rural roads don't change so the routing is good outside of major cities. A bigger issue is that the Ibycus database is not searchable in the Mapsource software or on the 60CSX unit. For instance, you cannot look up lake names or places. With a 1 GB SD card I can hold all of BC and Alberta in the unit from either mapset so there is no meaningful difference in file size.

Details between the map data is minor. I end up loading and using the Garmin Topo Canada on the desptop and just check Ibycus for any detail differences.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:55 PM

Default topo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
I have both maps and they are both basically the same I would go with the free one now if you havent bought the garmin yet
freeeeeeee wish i had know
Old 03-04-2010, 07:08 AM

Thanks guys . . . You've given me some good input. I do already own the V4 topo from Garmin, as I ordered it before I found the Ibycus data online.

I normally use Google Maps on my BlackBerry for routing in cities and along highways. So I wasn't really thinking about that aspect of the comparison.

I haven't figured out how to route on the Garmin yet. I can search for lake names on it? Cool. I have yet to explore any of the GIS capabilities. I purchased it more for data collection than navigation, but it looks like I might have underestimated its uses.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
Thanks guys . . . You've given me some good input. I do already own the V4 topo from Garmin, as I ordered it before I found the Ibycus data online.

I normally use Google Maps on my BlackBerry for routing in cities and along highways. So I wasn't really thinking about that aspect of the comparison.

I haven't figured out how to route on the Garmin yet. I can search for lake names on it? Cool. I have yet to explore any of the GIS capabilities. I purchased it more for data collection than navigation, but it looks like I might have underestimated its uses.
Just some interesting facts, The original Garmin Topo Canada, on 4 set CD'S, for all of Canada, has 1.9 GD'S of Data, the ibycus Version 3.0 has 3.3 GB'S. I do not know how big the latest Garmin Topo Version a single DVD is, but they have made some GOOD ADDITIONS to the MAPSETS in areas of my interests. Dale Atkin has spent MANY HOURS/DAYS putting together his ibycus Topo, In the latest single DVD, Version 3.0 he some how ??? neglected to turn on the Color Blue for LAKE and STREAMS, it does not show on the Computer display, but it does swow the Blue on a colored GPS Display. He will be changing the new 3.1 Version when he has the time to do so. You can order this program from him direct for a donation of $25.00. One other thing, unless you are one of the many that have lots of computer smarts, there is no Program Remove on his DVD'S.

Bruce, the makes me do it.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:35 AM

I was testing Ibycus 2.1. I'm now downloading the 3.0 to check it out. I didn't find it on Isohunt. I could only find it on PirateBay. The download is very slow as there are very few seeders. I'll download it at home, too. I can't allow uploads at work (obviously) so I'll seed it to 225% on my home computer.

As a cartographer who works with huge volumes of data, I can absolutely appreciate the time and effort Dale has put into this project. I've ordered a few of the nice Canadian Geocoins, and I'll be sending him three of them once they arrive. Money is nice, but I personally think Geocoins are even better

Old 03-04-2010, 11:00 AM

Find this one Dark.

11U 5459133 N
688595 E

NAD 27

Pot of Gold there.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 03-04-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
NAD 27
I thought only dinosaurs still used Nad 27!

Old 03-04-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
I thought only dinosaurs still used Nad 27!
Yup I am a dieing breed.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 03-04-2010, 05:33 PM

Shelley,
You are aware that all the data, information is all free by the canadian gov. to make you own maps for your garmin?
its ALOT of data to go thru but when you get your areas you want, its alot easier for the gps to handle as opposed to all western canada.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
Shelley,
You are aware that all the data, information is all free by the canadian gov. to make you own maps for your garmin?
its ALOT of data to go thru but when you get your areas you want, its alot easier for the gps to handle as opposed to all western canada.
I'm aware that there is free data available. I also have access to a truly extraordinary amount of data through my work. But, I'd rather get a ready made and adequate product that doesn't require a huge time commitment on my part. There are other things I'd rather be doing in my free time: what little I have of it, anyway.