Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-10-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Again show us this documentation as well...
I am afraid I do not know how to scan documents and post them on the Internet. However, if you do as I do and contact various government agencies who keep detailed records of hunter activity you can find out the facts.

Quote:
And I was talking about game numbers and species !!
I fail to see what the inclusion of crossbows or a separate season has to do with game numbers. Are you afraid that if crossbows are legal bowhunters would have to share with a few others? Because that is the reality. Only a few take advantage of the added crossbow opportunity, not the "hordes" the anti-crossbow lobby claims. Here in BC crossbows are legal for everyone to hunt with and we have not seen any negative impact or an "army" of crossbow hunters taking over bowhunting.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntwriter View Post
I am afraid I do not know how to scan documents and post them on the Internet. However, if you do as I do and contact various government agencies who keep detailed records of hunter activity you can find out the facts.

I fail to see what the inclusion of crossbows or a separate season has to do with game numbers. Are you afraid that if crossbows are legal bowhunters would have to share with a few others? Because that is the reality. Only a few take advantage of the added crossbow opportunity, not the "hordes" the anti-crossbow lobby claims. Here in BC crossbows are legal for everyone to hunt with and we have not seen any negative impact or an "army" of crossbow hunters taking over bowhunting.
If you wanted to, i 'm sure you know how !! I just want to see, where you got your info from, but it's all hear say.

Not afraid to share at all. The more bowhunters the better. We have the model system here in Alberta, and bastardizing it, to help manufacturers is not an option.

Disabled hunters got a lax, in obtaining xbows, thats all that is needed.

I'm still waiting to hear how xbows will increase new recruitements of hunters !!
Old 10-10-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
We have the model system here in Alberta,
That is an interesting view point. Every other jurisdiction makes the same claim.

Quote:
...and bastardizing it, to help manufacturers is not an option.
If you're old enough perhaps you remember that when compound bows came out bowhunters used, among other expressions, the same phrase about "bastardizing" bowhunting. You may not like it but there is no doubt that hunting is regulated first and foremost to cater to hunters demand.

When compound bows became popular and hunters demanded to hunt with them it was made legal. The same will happen with crossbows.

Hunting is about money. Make no mistake about it, if the government can't make money of one form of hunting it will cease to exist. The only reason why bowhunting was transformed from a small segment of a special interest groups into one of the most popular hunting sports was because manufactures pushed for it and the government smelled a new revenue. The same will happen with crossbows, maybe not this year maybe not even in the next five years but it will happen.

Quote:
Disabled hunters got a lax, in obtaining xbows, thats all that is needed.
That is your opinion and you're entitled to it.

Quote:
I'm still waiting to hear how xbows will increase new recruitements of hunters !!
Crossbows, like any other hunting method create opportunity and opportunity creates interest. Crossbows are perfect for the rifle hunter looking for a special challenge or a new person wanting to take up bowhunting without committing, or hasn't, the time it takes to become proficient with a regular bow. BTW, that was why compound bows became so popular, it took a lot less time to get good with them then with a tradtional bow.

Of course, then as now some bowhunters think that others should not have the right to bowhunt if they are not prepared to spend many months of daily practice to become proficient with a regular bow. It's interesting how history seems to repeat itself and how we hear the exact same arguments against crossbows as we heard back then against compound bows.

I hope you shoot a traditional bow, if not you're, as I am, guilty of having "bastardized" bowhunting a long time.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntwriter View Post
That is an interesting view point. Every other jurisdiction makes the same claim.

If you're old enough perhaps you remember that when compound bows came out bowhunters used, among other expressions, the same phrase about "bastardizing" bowhunting. You may not like it but there is no doubt that hunting is regulated first and foremost to cater to hunters demand.

When compound bows became popular and hunters demanded to hunt with them it was made legal. The same will happen with crossbows.

Hunting is about money. Make no mistake about it, if the government can't make money of one form of hunting it will cease to exist. The only reason why bowhunting was transformed from a small segment of a special interest groups into one of the most popular hunting sports was because manufactures pushed for it and the government smelled a new revenue. The same will happen with crossbows, maybe not this year maybe not even in the next five years but it will happen.

That is your opinion and you're entitled to it.

Crossbows, like any other hunting method create opportunity and opportunity creates interest. Crossbows are perfect for the rifle hunter looking for a special challenge or a new person wanting to take up bowhunting without committing, or hasn't, the time it takes to become proficient with a regular bow. BTW, that was why compound bows became so popular, it took a lot less time to get good with them then with a tradtional bow.

Of course, then as now some bowhunters think that others should not have the right to bowhunt if they are not prepared to spend many months of daily practice to become proficient with a regular bow. It's interesting how history seems to repeat itself and how we hear the exact same arguments against crossbows as we heard back then against compound bows.

I hope you shoot a traditional bow, if not you're, as I am, guilty of having "bastardized" bowhunting a long time.
sounds like recycling to me !
Old 10-10-2011, 03:50 PM

Huntwriter,

Do you have a camera? Take a pic of the documents on post the pic.

Surely a professional outdoors writer will have a digital camera and/or a scanner....

Old 10-10-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Huntwriter,

Do you have a camera? Take a pic of the documents on post the pic.
Now there is an idea I haven't thought of. I may do that!

Quote:
Surely a professional outdoors writer will have a digital camera and/or a scanner....
What on earth makes you think a person making a living as a writer needs a scanner?
Old 10-10-2011, 07:22 PM

Huntwriter; The antis are really not interested in facts. You told us where the information is but that isn't good enough , they insist you provide it yourself.
Difficult to discuss with someone , when they put their fingers in their ears and sing LALALALA everytime an opposing view is voiced.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
If you wanted to, i 'm sure you know how !!
Sure I could if I know how and above all, if I would have a scanner.