Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2011, 08:10 PM

Default Banff?

The wife wanted to go to the mountains this winter so I booked a cabin at Castle Mountain for her as a birthday gift. We will be going at the beginning of March and I am looking for tips on things to do that can involve a little one (17 months). We are not skiers so I do not spend much time in the mountains in the winter. We will go to the Hot Springs for sure as the little one LOVES water!! Is the gondola trip worth it? I have also looked at doing the Johnston Canyon hike to the falls. Phoned about the tour and they refused us as they claim it is not doable with the little one. I call garbage on this as I do not remember that as being very tough at all!! Funny thing is that when you google things to do in Banff in winter #2 on the list is to actually leave Banff and go to Calgary for a Flames game!!! I fund that very comical!! Promote our beautiful parks by telling people to leave them!! Any tips would be great!!!
Old 01-25-2011, 08:16 PM

Candy factory
Ye Olde spagetti factory

Check out the falls.

Hot springs

Gondola is expensive for adults ($30 per) - it has been wonderful, but check the conditions while your there. If it is cloudy or grey it isnt worth it.

Check out some of the little shops.

Hot springs.

go for a hike along lake minnawonka (sp)
Old 01-25-2011, 08:19 PM

Ya going to Castle or Banff? Little bit apart.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-25-2011, 08:21 PM

Johnston Canyon can be pretty slick depending on conditions, especially the last bit to the falls. At your discretion there, it really depends on how icey it is that day. It's not physically challenging, but some sections can be slick.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Ya going to Castle or Banff? Little bit apart.
We always stay at Castle Mountain when down there as Banff is way to busy for me!!! I prefer to drive in do what we need to do and leave back to the cabin where it is quiet and not thousands of people all over the place.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Candy factory
Ye Olde spagetti factory

Check out the falls.

Hot springs

Gondola is expensive for adults ($30 per) - it has been wonderful, but check the conditions while your there. If it is cloudy or grey it isnt worth it.

Check out some of the little shops.

Hot springs.

go for a hike along lake minnawonka (sp)
Good tip on the weather for the gondola I never thought of that!!! What is this Candy Factory? Ye Old Spaghetti Factory? Is this the same restaurant that is in a few other places?
Old 01-25-2011, 08:29 PM

Ya won't make it past the ski hill at Castle this time of year. We may be talking bout two different places here. hehe

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-25-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Ya won't make it past the ski hill at Castle this time of year. We may be talking bout two different places here. hehe

We stay at the cabins right at the base of Castle Mountain on Bow Valley Parkway. It is about 25 - 30 mins from Banff.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:35 PM

I would recommend The Cave and Basin but my wife thinks it's closed for renovations. Check if it's open before you go.
It's the original hot springs. Now a historical site, We love to go there.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
We stay at the cabins right at the base of Castle Mountain on Bow Valley Parkway. It is about 25 - 30 mins from Banff.
Yup we are definitly talking bout two different places. Sorry.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-25-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Good tip on the weather for the gondola I never thought of that!!! What is this Candy Factory? Ye Old Spaghetti Factory? Is this the same restaurant that is in a few other places?
The reason I mentioned weather is, I would hate to see the disappointment if you got up there and it was miserable. Especially for the cost.

Right on the main drag in Banff there is a fudge making place. They also have some other great treats. The kids love the carmel corn, or the hand made chocolate bear claws and the candy apples.
If you go at the right time you can see them working the products right on the marble slab.
(chocolate bear claw - size of a a grown ups fist. Chocolate, carmel, cashews and more chocolate
See pictures - not the actual ones from Banff
https://paulasedibles.com/wp-content...s/P7010108.JPG )

Ye olde Spagetti Factory, They have a few locations around the country.
The prices are good and the food is pretty decent, Kid friendly.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
The reason I mentioned weather is, I would hate to see the disappointment if you got up there and it was miserable. Especially for the cost.

Right on the main drag in Banff there is a fudge making place. They also have some other great treats. The kids love the carmel corn, or the hand made chocolate bear claws and the candy apples.
If you go at the right time you can see them working the products right on the marble slab.
(chocolate bear claw - size of a a grown ups fist. Chocolate, carmel, cashews and more chocolate
See pictures - not the actual ones from Banff
https://paulasedibles.com/wp-content...s/P7010108.JPG )

Ye olde Spagetti Factory, They have a few locations around the country.
The prices are good and the food is pretty decent, Kid friendly.
We will hit the candy shop for sure the wife will love that!! She is a sugar hound hence the reason mudbugs cake is 90% gone today!!! Is there any good restaurants that are not chains? We normally do all the cooking at the cabin but I figured we could go in for 1 meal on a week night. Any type of food we are not picky, it is just pointless to us to go there and eat at the Keg or any other that we can eat at here.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
We will hit the candy shop for sure the wife will love that!! She is a sugar hound hence the reason mudbugs cake is 90% gone today!!! Is there any good restaurants that are not chains? We normally do all the cooking at the cabin but I figured we could go in for 1 meal on a week night. Any type of food we are not picky, it is just pointless to us to go there and eat at the Keg or any other that we can eat at here.
Okay Goober,

Seoul Korean BBQ
215 Banff Avenue
Banff, AB T1L Canada

This is a one off place you might just love.
Korean place, They have the bbq right in the tables. They serve flavourful soups, stews, rice and noodle dishes, hot pots and Korean BBQ.
( It is somewhat hard to find if you don’t know where to look because it is located within the Sundance Mall, along main street.)

This is a favourite with Us and our friends.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Okay Goober,

Seoul Korean BBQ
215 Banff Avenue
Banff, AB T1L Canada

This is a one off place you might just love.
Korean place, They have the bbq right in the tables. They serve flavourful soups, stews, rice and noodle dishes, hot pots and Korean BBQ.
( It is somewhat hard to find if you don’t know where to look because it is located within the Sundance Mall, along main street.)

This is a favourite with Us and our friends.

Sounds interesting!! It is on the list now thanks!!
Old 01-25-2011, 09:56 PM

Check out the tropical fish, believe it or not, in the ponds below the Cave and basin. We always eat at The Old Spaghetti Factory.

Grizz
Old 01-25-2011, 10:02 PM

You don't need a tour group for Johnson canyon. It is a very accessible easy hike that I've taken my grandmother on and she was 80 at the time. It may be icy at this time of year which is the only problem, but Banff can be pretty mild so it's often fine. I've taken my 3 and 2 year old on that hike before and they made it to the upper falls. Also you can't get lost the majority of it is paved, even wheelchair accessible in the summer. It's a pretty nice hike tho, especially if you have one of those kid backpacks you would be fine.

If your in Banff check out Chez Francois in Canmore for brunch... it is by far the absolute best place for breakfast in the county. It will cost you a pay check at supper time, but breakfast is super cheap and amazing.

If you get a night off from the kid, St James gate is the best pub in town. Tons of beer on tap and great food.

There are some easy hikes to do around Lake Minnewanka as well that are good to check out. IF it gets nasty outside the douglas fir hotel has a water slide and pool that is open to the public for a small fee, and the hot springs of course.

If your at castle mountain your half way to lake lousie as well. The chateau lake Louise is cool to check out as well, they have a nice outdoor skating rink I think you can rent skates there. They have a big ice carving festival sometime in the winter that we always went to and it was pretty cool. Lagans bakery in louise is the best place for snacks if your out there.

Last edited by Gus; 01-25-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:21 PM

Goobs, for SURE do Johnston's Canyon. We've been hauling the kids up there since they were too young to walk. It can be slippery but I've seen worse in the city. It's almost an annual favourite for us.

Two must-stops in town for me are the gem shop (Canada Gems ???) and the trading post accross the river. It's also worth taking a short jaunt up the hill to see the hotel and then down to Bow Falls.

The gondla is always a hoot even in less than ideal conditions, and Minnewanka is beautiful too. There's an easy stroll along the north shore. You will probably see a small band of sheep that hang out there and like to like the salt off of the passing cars.

Also, every Easter, we make the run out to Lake Louise. You can do the horse drawn sleigh ride, but we always hike the west shore of the lake to the big ice falls there. Flat, easy and quietish.

You guys will have a blast. Nice gift.

EDIT: Gus types faster 'n I do!
Old 01-25-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Johnston Canyon can be pretty slick depending on conditions, especially the last bit to the falls. At your discretion there, it really depends on how icey it is that day. It's not physically challenging, but some sections can be slick.
Holy crap, can they ever! We turned around one time after maybe a few hundred yards. The snow on the trail gets pounded into a sheet of ice by all the visitors. If you have some cleats it shouldn't be a problem though.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
They have a big ice carving festival sometime in the winter that we always went to and it was pretty cool.
That was last weekend, but of course the sculptures will stay there until they start to melt.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:29 PM

Alpine Heli Tour, out of Camore.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
I would recommend The Cave and Basin but my wife thinks it's closed for renovations. Check if it's open before you go.
It's the original hot springs. Now a historical site, We love to go there.
This is one of my active projects. It will be closed to the public till probably fall 2011 at the earliest. We're in the process of exploring a number of options, but currently stripping the building back to what it was like around the early 1900's. You can still get to some of the boardwalks up above, but the cave, and the basin site are currently an active construction site with a whole pile of enivironmental monitoring....
Old 01-25-2011, 11:41 PM

There's 2 excellent web-cams at the top of the Banff Gondola. You can check them out online at http://www.explorerockies.com/banff-webcam/
- or they have them live on big-screens at the lower terminal, so you can check the weather up top before buying tickets.

The Banff Park Museum at the end of Banff Ave before the bridge is good, or the Whyte Museum is excellent - it's across from the town hall and often has children programs on - or kiddie 'museum packs' with activities. If you can join a Heritage Home tour with them, it's worth the time. http://www.whyte.org/programs/family_programs.html

A cool trip is going to Simpson's Num-Ti-Ja Lodge, which is 40 km past Lake Louise on the Icefields Parkway. It's a real interesting building with ancient taxidermy in the dining room - ask if you can peek into their guest lounge too.
Might want to phone ahead to see if it'll be open for lunch
http://www.num-ti-jah.com/

Good choice on the Castle Mtn cabins. If you're looking for a little change next time, try Baker Creek Chalets just a little further up the Bow Valley Parkway.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:25 AM

Smile

Definately go to Lake Louise and see the sculptures. They are worth the drive for sure.

A place that is good to take the kids in Banff is Magpie and Stump. It's just off the main street about a block. If you like Mexican food it is a good place to have a lunch or dinner.

I would also say that the Old Spagetti Factory is a good family oriented place. My wife and I have eaten there several times. The food is good and the staff is really great.

The OSF is upstairs in the mall which is at 317 Banff Ave. While your up there be sure and go in Editions art gallery. Have a look at the acrylic sculptures by Frederick Hart. They are just stunning.

You could also take the family for a horse drawn carriage ride around Banff. That would be a good thing to do after visiting the candy shop across the street. That way everyone can have some chocolate while they are on the ride.

Have a great time.
Rob
Old 01-26-2011, 07:11 AM

Stayed at Emerald Lake a couple winters ago and it's amazing up there. It's only I think about 45 mins from there maybe an hour. Can rent some snowshoes and go around the lake, or have a buffalo burger in the restraunt for lunch.(Food is a bit pricey there)
Old 01-26-2011, 04:57 PM

Great tips folks, I appreciate the help!! Sounds like we will have lots to do as well as some relaxation!!!

The restaurant you recommended was a huge hit Fishingmom!!! Wife loved the sounds of it and we will be checking it out!!
Old 01-26-2011, 05:38 PM

The BEST, and I mean BEST restaraunt meal I'd had in a loooong time was here.

http://www.thebison.ca/restaurant/

It was the first place that I felt was worth the $$ that we spent on a meal. I took my wife there for our anniversary. That will be the plan for this year's as well.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Great tips folks, I appreciate the help!! Sounds like we will have lots to do as well as some relaxation!!!

The restaurant you recommended was a huge hit Fishingmom!!! Wife loved the sounds of it and we will be checking it out!!

Goober,
Cool glad to hear it. Its not your typical place, which I think is why our group loves it when we head out there.