Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-23-2007, 08:44 PM
wapiti1

Default Utikuma Fishing Report

Just got back from a couple of days of fishing at Utikuma. Lots of snow! Caught some nice pike 15.5 lbs. the biggest. Also 2 nice perch. 12+Walleye caught were not keepers. Shiners and smelts on jigs worked best. Anyone fished Orloff lake lately? What is the access like for a 4x4?
wapiti1
Old 02-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Home Wreaker

I drove past the orlof lake turn off as i was returning from wabasca to edmonton.
That road is a high grade, gravel road, better than the wabasa gravel road.If I had fuel ,but tank was emty I would of driven in !
Old 02-24-2007, 10:45 PM
utikuma

Default utikuma

Hey Wapitia

We are planning to set up a couple of wall tents at the small island for the weekend do we need chains to get there, we were there last week and it was blowing and snowing pretty good.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:00 PM
Utikima

Default Utikima

How thick was the ice?. Does a guy need an extension for the the old Jiff?.
Heading up there in April for a few days hopefully the weather is good like the past three years fishin Utikima. Nothing beats ice fishing in +15 with a T-shirt and sun screen and perhaps the odd pilsner.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:29 PM
huntercam

Default Re: Utikima

Hey Wapitia

Where were you fishing? how deep? bait? goona go up this weekend for a day any ideas where to start would be great thanks in advance
Old 02-27-2007, 10:26 AM
wapiti1

Folks;
If you are going to Utikuma soon and plan to fish around the Islands I would have a 4x4 and atleast one set of chains. We fished 600 yds out from the middle access point and around the big Island. We used shiners and smelts on jigs for bait.
Good Luck
wapiti
Old 02-27-2007, 12:43 PM
huntercam

where do you get on middle access point? we went on at mile88 on hiway 88 last time and its a long haul to the big island? any info on getting on the lake closer to the big island.
Are you getting on off hiway 750? any idea what road #
Old 02-27-2007, 01:00 PM
gun

Default gun

you still have the savage .06 for sale?
Old 02-27-2007, 01:46 PM
huntercam

Default Re: gun

SORRY MILE 80 ON HIWAY 88
Old 03-02-2007, 10:21 PM
wapiti1

Default Re: Utikum and gun

We turn off the highway before the Tower on the east side. There is an old campsite and a big old truck trailer parked at the north side of the corner. Still have the LH Savage -06
wapiti1
Old 03-04-2007, 11:04 AM
huntercam

Ya thats mile 80 the first island you come to straight out is that the one you talk about that is the smaller of the 2 islands.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:59 PM
wapiti1

That is the Island we fished around and the deepest water 18' is on the west side of that island.
cheers!
Wapiti1
Old 03-04-2007, 05:21 PM
huntercam

Thanks we were only in about 7' i will try that next thanks again for the info

Cam
Old 03-05-2007, 11:04 PM
utikima

Default utikima

Ya, We were there on Friday and it was none stop jackfish, I fish Utikima quite a bit and never seen jacks bite like that. Caught 1 keeper eye, seen quite a few but they were not interested at all.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:01 AM
huntercam

Default Re: utikima

Walleye 27 where on the lake were u fishing how deep and your right the pike were crazy aggreesive we sure would like to find the perch
Old 03-07-2007, 01:56 AM
Utikima

Default Utikima

Hey Huntercam:

We started off by fishing the southside of the small island, about 300 yards to the north from the ice shack that was on the ice. Moved to the northside of the island and same results, alot of jacks, we seen a couple of perch on the screen and they were not interested caught a keeper walleye. Tryied a couple of other honey holes with no success. Were you the guys staying in the walltents on 80 road??
Old 03-07-2007, 02:31 PM
huntercam

Wall tents were a bunch of guys from Calgary how deep was the water around that metal shack that out there?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:27 PM
utikima

Default utikima

7 to 8 feet