Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-26-2021, 01:58 PM

Default Garmin Striker 4?

Does anybody use the Garmin Striker 4 portable? Any feeback and reviews on it?

I'm looking at getting it to replace a Humminbird Fishin' Buddy and I see that it can be used for ice fishing as well. I'm looking at the $270 version, since the more expensive ice fishing specific model appears to require a separate transducer to be purchased in order use on open water.

Here's the model I'm looking at:

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/13449...ortable-bundle

and here's the ice fishing specific version

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/14277...fishing-bundle
Old 12-26-2021, 03:34 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Bought one three years ago, use it for ice fishing and in my kayak.

Great little unit that is versatile and won’t break the bank.

Ohhh and I didn’t buy the ice specific transducer just use the one it came with.
I drill a hole and just drop it down just below the ice, works great.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-26-2021, 03:52 PM

Default Barkin striker 4

I have one and really like it. I can see my hook on it and suspended fish. All I ever need. Nice little portable unit that doesn’t break the bank.

Last edited by trigger7mm; 12-26-2021 at 03:53 PM. Reason: More info
Old 12-26-2021, 05:02 PM

I put the striker 4 cv on my kayak. Its awesome for the size and price. Can pick off tiny tungsten jigs perch fishing. Haven't tried it ice fishing yet but should get out in the next week or so to give it a try.
Old 12-26-2021, 06:17 PM

I have a Striker 4 vivid permanent mount on my boat. Excellent bang for the buck. I was going to buy the portable kit for it just for ice fishing but I think it's cheaper just to buy the whole shebang at once. I am a fan, I have and do own Eagle, Lowrance and Humminbird units. this Garmin seems easier to use with great resolution.
Old 12-26-2021, 07:05 PM

I have the bundle you are talking about. I used the boat transducer for 2 years on the ice. Just picked up the ice transducer and I notice a big diffrence in the clarity with the ice ducer. If you plan on using it this winter I would just buy the stryker 4 pluse with the ice ducer and then call gps city or gps central and get them to ship the boat ducer. They should be under $100 bucks. The ice ducers are the expensive ones.

Gordon

YouTube https://youtube.com/channel/UCCODzzgYp2gHz16OTpj5wYQ
Old 12-26-2021, 08:32 PM

I have two of these units that the kids and I use on the kayaks and through the ice. I just use the regular open water transducer and it works fine. I find when the ice gets a little thicker, having the transducer near the surface causes too much interference and you need to keep is as straight as possible. I now attach it to a 1/2” piece of PVC with a T on top so I can hang it further into the hole and keep it straight. Works great now. I’ve used it for 7’ of water for pike down to 120’ depths for lake trout and was always able to make out my hook fine.
Old 12-26-2021, 11:42 PM
Banned

On my 10ft kayak, I have a Garmin 4cv. I'm happy with it. The battery life is excellent. I have no experience with the flasher, but I am aware that it is available in a portable form aimed towards ice fishermen. I'd point out that the CV version has a larger-than-average transducer (though it still fits in the scupper hole), you'll need to keep it within arms reach owing to the small display, and there are no shorter cables available for small crafts.
Old 12-27-2021, 08:31 AM

I bought the Striker 4 Plus this year and super happy. I was going to go with the bundle but after some googling I ended up not buying the portable package but went with the unit and the boat transducer. Ice fishing is most important to me so I converted an old plastic cooler to a carrying case and with the money I saved not buying the portable I got the Gt8 ice transducer. So for pretty much the same money as buying the portable unit I now have the boat and Gt8. I put the mount on top of the cooler and everything stores inside for transport. You can use the boat transducer for ice but I like how easy the GT8 is to just drop down the hole. Keep in mind you do have to buy a 12v battery but they are cheap (around $25 I think) and I also had to buy a charger since I didnt already have one, but still a good investment.
Old 12-27-2021, 08:39 AM

I had the striker 4 and was very disappointed in its accuracy in anything deeper than 100', upgraded to the striker 5 and am very happy with it.
Old 12-27-2021, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the info everyone, sounds like it's a good unit for the money. I think the cheaper portable will be fine for me vs the dedicated ice model. I'm not a hard core ice fisherman so spending an extra $170 for the ice transducer probably isn't worth it. When we ice fish, we're generally in 30 feet of water or less so I think the regular one should be ok. I plan to use this primarily on my jon boat for fishing small lakes and the fact that I can use it on the ice is a bonus.
Old 12-27-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Thanks for the info everyone, sounds like it's a good unit for the money. I think the cheaper portable will be fine for me vs the dedicated ice model. I'm not a hard core ice fisherman so spending an extra $170 for the ice transducer probably isn't worth it. When we ice fish, we're generally in 30 feet of water or less so I think the regular one should be ok. I plan to use this primarily on my jon boat for fishing small lakes and the fact that I can use it on the ice is a bonus.
I bought the the ice transducer for my striker 4 from cabelas for $80(priced match to gpscity in calgary)

if you go to cabelas, heres a price match links:
https://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-strike...eam-transducer

gpscity.ca/garmin-dual-beam-ice-fishing-transducer

Last edited by FishingNewb; 12-27-2021 at 06:33 PM. Reason: adding links
Old 12-28-2021, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingNewb View Post
I bought the the ice transducer for my striker 4 from cabelas for $80(priced match to gpscity in calgary)

if you go to cabelas, heres a price match links:
https://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-strike...eam-transducer

gpscity.ca/garmin-dual-beam-ice-fishing-transducer
It doesn't look like that's the right transducer. The one that fits the stirker is $140 on their site.
Old 12-28-2021, 08:23 AM

Those links are for the dual beam transducer which is an ice transducer but there is a better one called the GT8. I've never tried the dual beam but I have the GT8 and worked great in 70ft at Spray. Could see my jig at the bottom no problem.
Old 12-28-2021, 08:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangledangler View Post
I had the striker 4 and was very disappointed in its accuracy in anything deeper than 100', upgraded to the striker 5 and am very happy with it.
That’s odd but maybe just a glitch with yours as I am in 140’ and have no issues with mine ice fishing or out in the yak jigging deep waters.

You just needed an excuse to upgrade

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-28-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
It doesn't look like that's the right transducer. The one that fits the stirker is $140 on their site.
It fits I double checked the sku at cabelas when I bought mine last week.
Old 12-28-2021, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingNewb View Post
It fits I double checked the sku at cabelas when I bought mine last week.
Cool, thanks!
Old 12-30-2021, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamilton View Post
Those links are for the dual beam transducer which is an ice transducer but there is a better one called the GT8. I've never tried the dual beam but I have the GT8 and worked great in 70ft at Spray. Could see my jig at the bottom no problem.
I have dual beam, tried it in Spray lakes at 60 ft. If anything I need to figure out how to decrease sensitivity - it was picking my swivel where I was attaching the leader and a jig or lure so I was constantly seeing double lines.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
I have dual beam, tried it in Spray lakes at 60 ft. If anything I need to figure out how to decrease sensitivity - it was picking my swivel where I was attaching the leader and a jig or lure so I was constantly seeing double lines.
select traditional or flasher, hit menu and its under gain