Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-14-2010, 08:47 PM

Default Hanging deer mount with no stud: need advice...

Hi guys/girls,

I need some advice on how to hang my deer mount. The spot I need to put it unfortunately doesnt have a stud behind it. Without going into too much detail, in order to center the mount perfectly in a 42" peice of wall it will leave my mount sitting directly between two studs. I know I would be breaking a cardinal rule of always hanging mounts into studs, but has anybody hung one on just drywall. If so, which drywall screws/setups would you recommend to support the weight and avoid the mount plunging to the floor taking a piece of wall with it? This wall is also an external wall with fiberglass insulation backing so that may eliminate some options.

If using a stud is my only option, im able to move the mount 6-8 inches to one side, but im trying to avoid this option because it doesnt look as perfect.

Your help will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
Brennen
Old 01-14-2010, 08:53 PM

Default How much weight?

How much weight are we talking about? Can you give us an estimate?
Old 01-14-2010, 08:56 PM

a shoulder mount doesnt really weigh too much at all. i cant imagine it would pull a drywall anchor out. get one of the good ones , an aluminum one that will take a # 10 or 12 screw.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:57 PM

http://herculeshook.ca/
Old 01-14-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthroat666 View Post
How much weight are we talking about? Can you give us an estimate?
I would go check but I dont have a scale in my house, we just moved in. Its a typical mule deer shoulder mount, they all pretty much weigh the same I think. I would guess but i would probably be waaay off haha.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDraw View Post
Do these really work? Ive seen them on tv but with infomercials I tend to be pretty cautious.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:32 PM
Banned

the hercules hooks work, I currently have an antelope mount and a goose mount hanging from my walls by these. Not to mention a big painting that I would bet money wieghs more than a deer shoulder mount.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:47 PM

I have many mounts hanging from drywall. Use a good toggle bolt or the large finned screw in drywall anchors, they look like ice auger fins. The metal ones are best.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:16 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, ill go to the hardware store tomorrow and look at some options and let you know what I go with.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:27 PM

I have hung large shoulder mounts with butter fly bolts into drywall with washers to make sure it stays put.
Any hardware store will have them.
Good luck.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
I have many mounts hanging from drywall. Use a good toggle bolt or the large finned screw in drywall anchors, they look like ice auger fins. The metal ones are best.
Toggle bolts are awesome. Make sure you buy the spring loaded metal toggle bolts. Last week, I tried some called "ez toggle" from Crappy Tire. They rely on the screw to acutate the toggle. Had a heck of a time getting them to toggle/spread and the end result was two large holes in my wall when they wouldn't expand.

The ones I ended up using are from CO-OP. They are "National" brand are are called swivel swag hooks.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
a shoulder mount doesnt really weigh too much at all. i cant imagine it would pull a drywall anchor out. get one of the good ones , an aluminum one that will take a # 10 or 12 screw.
I've had better luck with the white plastic ones......an awesome little invention.

x2 on the #10.....make sure you buy the right size!!!

tm
Old 02-17-2010, 06:05 PM

Exclamation Toggle bolt is the way

YES TOGGLE BOLTS ARE THE WAY I'M AN ELECTRICIAN AND I HANG ALOT OF TV'S a stud is allways best but butterfly's or toggle bolts are your best bet ,the larger the better good luck
Old 02-18-2010, 08:57 AM

I like atttaching a piece or two of cedar fence boards either to one or both studs, then hanging the mount onto the boards. If the boards extend beyond the mount you can centre it to make it look like part of the wall/mount, can even 'decorate' the board(s) with fake rocks/branches/etc.
Rough cut boards, the kind with bark still attached, also look good.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:58 AM

These work pretty good

Threaded Drywall Anchors
Known by the trade names such as "EZ-Ancor" or "Zip-It", this type of anchor is a basically a large, threaded nut with a point on the end! The large threads are intended to hold strongly into drywall and will accept #6 or #8 sheet metal screws.

To install these anchors, it is advisable to first use an awl to punch a small hole the size of the "point" in the drywall. Though they are designed to be "self-starting", providing this starter hole will give you a more accurate installation. Then screw the anchor into the drywall with a Philip's head screwdriver until the head is flat against the wall surface. These can also be installed with a screw gun or a regular power drill with a screwdriver attachment. The surface of the drywall may distort, tear or slightly "buckle" as the anchor is installed... this is perfectly normal and to be expected.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:56 PM

You don't need a stud to hang a deer, any physique is able to hang a deer, but if your still determined to use a stud well.......LOL
Old 02-18-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m88.358wn View Post
These work pretty good

Threaded Drywall Anchors
Known by the trade names such as "EZ-Ancor" or "Zip-It", this type of anchor is a basically a large, threaded nut with a point on the end! The large threads are intended to hold strongly into drywall and will accept #6 or #8 sheet metal screws.

To install these anchors, it is advisable to first use an awl to punch a small hole the size of the "point" in the drywall. Though they are designed to be "self-starting", providing this starter hole will give you a more accurate installation. Then screw the anchor into the drywall with a Philip's head screwdriver until the head is flat against the wall surface. These can also be installed with a screw gun or a regular power drill with a screwdriver attachment. The surface of the drywall may distort, tear or slightly "buckle" as the anchor is installed... this is perfectly normal and to be expected.
Yep, those are the ones I was talking about. I've used them on every thing other than the rams.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:54 PM

Lee Valley has some speciality hangers, this one they claim is good for 60lbs
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...914,50426&ap=1

With that said a BIG toggle bolt would be hard to beat