Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-15-2007, 09:28 PM
bigbore

Default Electric Motor Size?

what would be a good amount of thrust in a Electric motor like a minnkota for a 9 foot pontoon boat with a motor mount on the back??

curious how long they last on single charge as well.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:36 PM
bearbait

i used a 32 pound trust on my argo and it worked great would get about 6 hours on a batt if i used it straight...but your pontoon is alot lighter...would work good though...
i think i payed like $300 buck or some thing at crappy tire..
rob
Old 04-16-2007, 03:07 PM
bigbore

hey thx, i see the "hole" has a Minnkota 30lbs thrust for $149 or so, should be good enough for a 9 foot pontoon. Just was wondering if bigger would be better. want to be able to cruise pretty good, but dont want to make a wake either
Old 04-16-2007, 08:05 PM
Dan

I have the 12V 50# of thrust model from minnkota. It pushes my 11' zodiac around quite nicely. I think at top speed its 8km/hour.
A buddy has the 30# model and he is happy with that as well.
Just try to get the energy saver model, as I can boot around all day on one charge with a marine battery.
Think i paid $250 at costco for mine.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:38 AM
bigbore

thx for the tip. main use it to troll a bit with a sink tip flyline, and maybe some assist ona river or too while drifting.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:35 AM
SNAPFisher

Default More!

Hey BB. I would also recommend going up a bit. I purchased the 55 lb thrust model last year and it pushes by 12 foot aluminum around very well. On pot holes, 30 lb is just fine. However, if you every go to a bigger lake like say Maligne, the 55 lb thrust will save a great deal of time getting to fishing spots. With a marine battery I can run 4 hours at top speed or all day if I am varying speed.

cheers!
Old 04-17-2007, 01:14 PM
bigbore

Default Re: More!

but on a 9 foot pontoon boat? the one im looking at weighs all of 69 pounds unloaded. Discovery 9 by outcast. a 55 should blast me all over Muir, lol
Old 04-17-2007, 06:54 PM
SNAPFisher

Default whoops!

Yeah, that would likely be overkill. .....though maybe interesting to watch :rollin

I think the smaller one will do and save you some $$$.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:21 PM
FFA

Default FFA

some guy over on FFA was saying star,chickacoo,muir had all winterkilled..any truth to this :eek
Old 04-19-2007, 11:35 AM
electric

Default electric

Bidbore, that 30 lb would be more than enough. I remember as a kid having a 14 lb on a 14foot lund and trolling out front of the cabin at lsl and it worked fine. Take into consideration that a 60lb will pull around a 19 ft walleye boat. Those 30lb minnkotas are a real deal and will handle a lot.