Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-20-2016, 12:40 PM

Default Colour case hardening. Nickel plate?

I have a beautiful SKB 200e sxs with ornate machined scollwork that has what looks like nickel plating. It's been a dream of mine to have a fine shotgun. I'm making the stock from some figured Claro walnut and giving it a splinter forend. Ive always like the look of colour case hardening. But more the older style blues than some of the more vibrant colours you see sometimes. Does anyone know who can do this? And is the nickel plating a huge pain to remove? Does the shotgun metal need to be sandblasted and then polished again? Is this even possible with the scollwork?
Old 08-20-2016, 01:09 PM

Nickel plating can be removed chemically
Old 08-20-2016, 08:23 PM
Banned

Any media blasting will surely remove some of the definition to the scroll work.

Also, I'd be willing to bet that case-hardening would hide some or all of it too.

Having it case-hardened then having the scrolling chased/redone might look good though.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:30 AM

The SKB is one of the most under appreciated shotguns on the market, they're well balanced, reliable and often under priced. I've had several of them (100's and 200's) and they were all great guns, not sure why I traded them off....

SKB appears to have used several different finishes over the years but the general consensus seems to that these guns are silver plated and not nickel plated. This can probably be chemically removed but I'm not familiar with the operation and I suspect that a lot of polishing will be required afterwards.
I recall that the engraving on the 200 is deep relief so case hardening should be alright. Just be aware that if the case hardening isn't done correctly then the color will eventually wear off if the gun is carried a lot.
In regards to the new stock, make sure that the area where the wood contacts the rear of the receiver in the vicinity of the scallops is fitted as well as possibly because the scallops tend to split the stock if not. I've reinforced this area with glass bedding on some of the guns I've owned to prevent splitting.
These guns look fantastic with some nice wood attached, make sure to post some pics when you get the project finished!
Old 08-21-2016, 05:08 PM

Call and talk to Oskar Kobb. It's shocking how much misinformation is out there.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:19 PM

What misinformation are you referring too?