Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-04-2018, 05:09 PM

Default Public Land South of Chain Lakes Reservoir Question / Help

Hi all,

Has anyone hunted the public lands just off the cowboy trail south of Chain Lakes Reservoir? If so, I have a question.

iHunter shows a bunch of public land (not leased land) immediately adjacent to the road, but when I Google Street View the same spot, I see fences lining the whole thing. Photos attached. Does it make sense that public land would be fenced like that?

If so, then I guess its ok to cross the fence and access the land without permission? It shows in iHunter as green area / public land, not leased land. But the fence has me unsure.

Any help is appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ihunter.jpg (19.6 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg Gmaps.jpg (25.8 KB, 186 views)
Old 02-04-2018, 05:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
Hi all,

Has anyone hunted the public lands just off the cowboy trail south of Chain Lakes Reservoir? If so, I have a question.

iHunter shows a bunch of public land (not leased land) immediately adjacent to the road, but when I Google Street View the same spot, I see fences lining the whole thing. Photos attached. Does it make sense that public land would be fenced like that?

If so, then I guess its ok to cross the fence and access the land without permission? It shows in iHunter as green area / public land, not leased land. But the fence has me unsure.

Any help is appreciated!
The area that you show on the included map seems to be a wilderness area which may well be public land. The best advise that I can provide is to take a drive out there and talk to the locals. It surely would not hurt to go for a leisurely drive on a weekend, get boots on the ground and check it out.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:08 PM

Edited
Old 02-04-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
The area that you show on the included map seems to be a wilderness area which may well be public land. The best advise that I can provide is to take a drive out there and talk to the locals. It surely would not hurt to go for a leisurely drive on a weekend, get boots on the ground and check it out.
Thanks and totally agreed! I will definitely get boots on the ground.

Just thought I might have some luck hearing from someone on the forum with experience in the area as well. Might save me a bit of time! Either way I'll be exploring the area personally as well.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:07 PM

You can also buy the MD Ranchland map in the app there, and it shows that section as crown as well. Its possible there is some other type of lease, but being that the county map shows it as crown (with no specific restrictions that I can tell), I would say yes it should be accessible. Note that a bit further south there is a bunch of private land, owned by Waldron Grazing Corp.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:49 PM
Banned

It is all private land on either side of the road for about 20 miles south of chain lakes.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
It is all private land on either side of the road for about 20 miles south of chain lakes.
False info. Go about 10 miles south of the lake and it’s forestry on both sides of hywY.sections 36,25,24,13,18 & 7. It’s quite clear on I-hunter.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:07 PM

ozzy
I suspect you are looking at the different colours of satellite imagery.
Try looking at i hunter app in Apple Map or Google Terrain.
To me it looks like private and lease in that area.

Edit.
I had Green Areas turned off

Last edited by hawken; 02-04-2018 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:17 PM

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...Mar11-2015.pdf
Old 02-04-2018, 10:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
False info. Go about 10 miles south of the lake and it’s forestry on both sides of hywY.sections 36,25,24,13,18 & 7. It’s quite clear on I-hunter.
You are correct. Meant 10 miles. Fat fingers
Both sides for about 5 miles.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:58 AM

Default AVENIDA Bertona

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I went and downloaded the MD Ranchlands Map from the district web site. It's very clearly marked as public land, so those fences must be ok to cross - just seems a bit odd.

I'll also do my best to speak with some locals in the area, although I suspect I won't see anyone other than travelers in their cars.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:26 AM

I believe that area is a lease. I drove it last year while scouting. There are some houses and everything is gated on both sides of the dirt road. There is also a sort of a retreat lodge there. Can't remember the name though. I'm sure you can stop by these houses and get permission.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:19 PM

Area adjacent to the highway gets hammered in November. Trucks parked up and down all the way down to the porcupine hills wherever the public land abuts the road. You couldn't pay me to hunt in there.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huk View Post
Area adjacent to the highway gets hammered in November. Trucks parked up and down all the way down to the porcupine hills wherever the public land abuts the road. You couldn't pay me to hunt in there.
That's honestly what I figured I would hear from most people. Good advice, thank you!

Also, that pretty much confirms that land is public.

I wonder if it'll be any good if I'm willing to hike 3 to 5 kilometres away from the road and then start hunting. Also means I'll be packing any harvest out on my back. Might be worth it though. Hard to find public land that's not overly pressured and yet easy to access.