Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-01-2007, 02:21 PM

Default jasper fishing?

Going camping in Jasper next weekend.

The only place I've fished there is where the Miette and Athabasca join - looks like a good spot but no fsh so far.

I'm taking my kids this time, and I'd really like them to catch something - anything really. Also, really like to river fish, it's what I'm used to.

Has anyone had any luck at the join of the Athabasca / Miette, or can anyone suggest a spot where we might pick up a couple of fish? Appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Old 07-01-2007, 09:33 PM

I never had too much luck in Jasper when I tried. Lack of expierence and knowing where to go probably was the case. My brother and I did stop on our way back home at Abraham Lake on the David Thompson highway, if you find yourself out that way, and had great success fishing from shore. Not sure what the river is that enters from the west but we set up there and probably caught 10+ each rainbows and bulls within an hour of stopping. They liked the 5 of diamonds.

Last edited by sirmike68; 07-03-2007 at 03:56 AM.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:39 PM

Default that five of diamonds

Thanks SirMike, I heat that five of diamonds works really well all over... good tip.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:26 PM

If you're just looking for a place for the kids to fish, there are some beaver ponds about half way between town and Pyramid Lakes. I don't know how they are now but they used to be good a few years ago. They might be able to help you at the information center in town.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:08 PM

horse shoe lake is good...rainbows..very deep clear lake 15 min hike in off 93a i think...big sign about 20 kms out of town...
Old 07-04-2007, 09:53 PM

Default Horseshoe

Horseshoe is no good anymore, hasn't been good since I was a kid. A few small baitfish still in their... good for cliff jumping, its only about 2 minutes off the highway (you can see it from the highway)

Smaller rivers are still high but clear. Might catch a few small ones in the lower maligne (park at 6th bridge)... or rent a boat and try home bay in maligne...

If you just want to catch a fish for the kids, go to talbot, rent a boat, and cast jigs or top water flys into the weed edges, lots of small pike (and some big ones to)... kids should be able to pull a few in... fyi, lake is hard with kids to fish from shore so rent the boat... (easy access as well, right off the highway)

PM if you have any specific questions... split..