Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Fishing the Icefields Parkway.

Hey fellas, we are planning a small trip in mid August. Wifes preg so i am not able to do the hardcor stream pounding thing this summer.. Gonna be hitting afew Alberta attractions instead, but its good cause theres afew things i havent made time to see in the past, that we have right here at home. Gonna hit Writing on Stone, check it out, and prob Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump as well,{im into the whole Native Artifact thing}. Anyways does anyone have any knowledge of the Icefields Parkway. Are the glacier tours worth doing, hows the fishing up in through there, etc, etc, etc. Any info on this part of the country would be right on.

keep a strain on er boys.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:56 PM

Post for or PM Thumper.....
Old 07-08-2007, 11:27 PM

X2 Pack! Thumper's the man in that neck of the woods!

How far along it wifey? I hope all is going well, and with a statement like that, you do know that you're going to have to show us the pics once you become a proud daddy!

Good Luck Pack!

Tree
Old 07-10-2007, 07:00 AM

Packhuntr, I heard that Writing on Stone just got a new interpretive centre. There are some good camping sites with suprisingly good shaded spots too. There's an amateur rodeo there in the first week in August if you are interested. It's probably the most picturesque rodeo grounds anywhere, nestled right next to the hoodoos. I've never fished the Milk River before but there is Heniger's Reservoir just northeast of the park which is stocked.

The buffalo jump is definitely worth seeing as well. It's quite a ways off the main highway but worth the drive.

I was up through the Icefields in May on the way to Mcbride but never stopped. The glaciers seem to be alot smaller than what I had remembered. If I was with my family I probably would have taken the tour though. I was hoping to see some caribou on the way through but never did see any. Pretty neat drive all in all. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:57 PM

Hey Packhuntr,

Reeves might still have some secret honeyholes along the Icefields Parkway that he's willing to give up after all these years, or pm me and I'll point you in the right direction.

Here's a tip for anyone along that road traveling with kids - try fly fishing the little pond right beside the highway across the road from the Icefields Centre (Ripple Lake). It's full of colourful little brookies to 10 inches, and there's lots of room for backcasts for beginner flyfisherpeople.

Bring along a ziplock bag, and put your brookie in it (with water of course), so the kids can get a real good look at it from all angles without squishing it in their little hands or having it flip-flop all over the rocks. Just a quick look at these jeweled beauties before releasing it - and you'll have your kids hooked on fishing!

Andrew