Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-08-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoncrestliner View Post
Lund is maybe number one but in price as well. If you want more for your money go crestliner but what ever your choice is do not go tracker even if it is 10 000 $ cheaper you will regret it.
I have a crestliner but can I ask why everone hates tracker so much they look like a nice boat never been in one on the water but they look alot better then those legend boats.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordoats26 View Post
I have a crestliner but can I ask why everone hates tracker so much they look like a nice boat never been in one on the water but they look alot better then those legend boats.
Thats what i was thinking too. Saw them at Bass Pro in Vegas and they looked very nice. Maybe the hull is not on par in quality with the others?
Old 03-09-2013, 06:54 AM

Ok the one I tryed two years ago i found the stearing loose was scared to let it go even for a sec it did not handle quick turn but yes maybe a little bit better than the legend I owned maybe the 17 is better the one Tryed was a 16' with a max 75hp and looked good for sure i do not right alot here cause I'm french hope i made sense

Last edited by fishoncrestliner; 03-09-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:15 AM

Default Check it out

In the USA ,they have had a pile of hull problems
Over the years on trackers. Check out walleye central...search
Tracker. I am pretty sure Tracker,smoker craft ,and legend
Hulls all made in same factory....I loved my Crestliner
But there is some history of transom weld cracks ...
Lunds haven leaked over the years ....man made product
I think the Friday-Monday rule applies..

Hey fishoncrestliner....Sa faith rien que vous etes Francais
On fait qu'es qu'on peu ici c'est toute.. Il y a d'autre
Francais ici . Il y a. des Anglais , leur eppelage est
Mauvais ..

Last edited by Winch101; 03-09-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptemomo View Post
I did look at them, but they're fish and ski version looks horrible with that big wing/ski pole in the back. What a dumb design. I really think it's gonna be the Crestliner. I think that's the best deal overall with the equipment Free Spirit is adding. My wife said 30k, so hopefully she lets me go a bit over...lol Hopefully Thane is a great salesman.
The ski pole is a option that isn't fixed into place on the Lowe, the 2 rear seats fold down to make a rear fishing platform, actually quite a good design. If your willing to drop top dollar i would go with the Lund Impact (just for re-sale value) i bought the Lowe for over $8000 less FS175 but i don't worry about re-sale because im sure my son will steal it anyways.......good luck with your search!!!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:09 AM

Default Lowe where

Schooch where did the Lowe come from....

They look so much like the Lund Rebel line
I wonder if not the same factory....not the same price...

Make great hulls
Old 03-09-2013, 08:17 AM

my uncle just purchase the etec 115 for his boat, really smooth motor and the intitial maintance isn't a killer cost wise, plus he couldn't beleive how easy it is to winterize, i would definetly go with the etec, he used to be a murc guy but now is converted.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
Schooch where did the Lowe come from....

They look so much like the Lund Rebel line
I wonder if not the same factory....not the same price...

Make great hulls
I'm not sure what factory makes them, but doing the comparison i found really not too much difference between the 2. It goes to what you like i guess....i like Fords others like Chevs......hope this doesn't start the war lol.....
Old 03-09-2013, 09:01 AM

I enjoy threads like this.Go with what you like between the top 3. The dealer selling the boat is almost as important as the brand. Remember they are all made from the same crappy parts when it comes to pumps, seat bases, etc. Get all the horsepower your budget will allow. It will keep you smiling a lot longer!

P.S. The best 2 days of a fisherman's life: The day the old boat sells and the day the new boat arrives!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:26 AM

Default e-tech motor choice the Lunds a gimme

finally somebody saying positive things on Evinrude e-tech outboards i own one since 08 i thought i was alone everyone i know has Mercs or Honda, just some thoughts the break in period is hammer down and bring it back in three years for a check and they are virtually smokeless , my checkup was a verbal the tech asked how much injection oil used i said almost three jugs of your best what about the lower end i said amsol synthetic marine 80 -90 every fall and new gas in spring still runs good he said may be plugs next year see ya these motors will automatically fog the cylinders down for the winter when you command them, the garden hose screws in a port at back for running in your drive way, you can,t get off the key fast enough they start so quick user friendly lots of power and they sip oil, a little more money maybe since Lund uses Merc cheaper combo deals i am sure i had to shop for my combo but i think its worth it if you marry this engine on any fishing rig you will be pleased thats it thanx for the rant everyone
Old 03-09-2013, 12:40 PM

My first boat had an envirude 70hp 2 stroke 1980 30 years old I had it for 2 years and never let me down the only thing I prefer with the 4 stroke is that you can troll with a 90 hp or even the 115 hp for lakers
Old 03-09-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KN12313 View Post
If you are stuck on an aluminum hull then go with the Crestliner (welded hull), but imho, I would go with a Stratos Fish and ski model. I have a 1994 Stratos 219 DC, I have fished a lot of big water with it, and never had a problem with the boat. 4 years ago some good friends of mine asked the same question, they ended up buying the stratos fish and ski model (not sure of the model number) but the boat is 18' with a 150 4 stroke, they paid $30,000ish all in with a mid priced depth finder and a bow mount trolling motor. I like the lay out of the boat, they have never had a problem with their boat Also their boat is a better family boat, it is better than mine for sking and tubing. Mine is a pure fishing boat no ladder at the back and no ski pylon.
X2
Old 03-09-2013, 02:40 PM

My Experience

I have previously owned several boats over the years. Have boated and spent the last 45 years on the water in a variety of boats. A Boston Whaler, when we lived in BC, Crestliner and the last a Lund, it was lost in a boating accident. Living in Calgary we shopped around for boats, looking for product and service.

the Lund dealers we contacted in Alberta where so wildly priced as to be scary, I had a Lund package in mind. Pricing jumped between 3 to 10 thousand for the same unit we did our research on. Cash in hand the wife and I where treated with indifference and in fact had to travel to get to some dealers in the north of the province only to be snubbed with asinine answers to our questions, and no interest in our needs. The boats we looked at looked like they had been fished in and had stains. That didn't impress me or the wife.

We actually ended up in Bass Pro buying lamps and a few other things for the household. We checked boats on 3 occasions and then bought one. I talked to several other owners at the store and by phone. I am very happy with my Tracker the price and especially with the service, we where treated like gold then and have continued with great service as I dress the boat up with new electronics, downriggers and a bunch of other goodies. Absolutely no regrets. Lund dealers need to figure out how to do business.

We ended up purchasing a Tracker Pro Guide 175 with the Mercury 115. Have fished and cruised last season with it and I have to say the boat is well appointed, handles perfectly in all kinda of weather with no play in the steering and is a joy to fish from. The hull is tight with no seeping. We hit he arrow and Shuswap, along with local lakes. I am perfectly happy with the boat. I am looking forward to the 2013 season fished last season. No problems here and excellent service from Bass Pro.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 03-09-2013, 04:32 PM

Yep theres Tracker haters...but i have one and its the best boat i've ever been in, and i have been in them all. Tourney fisherman and slave lk is my home water, i dont baby this boat...it takes a pounding. Slave tourneys have been known as boat breakers. Had a few screws come loose, but knock on wood no majors...

These always turn into a chevy, dodge, ford thread...in that order btw. My advice find something you like and appeals to you and pull the trigger on it and enjoy !!!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
X2
Yes the stratos look awsome fishing machingband i love envirude but it is not a familly boat my wifevwould kill me the damage we will do to her hair in that machine and where i sit the two kids they wil cry they are cold a minute after we left the dock
Old 03-10-2013, 02:34 PM

Anybody here have any experience with a 18 or 20ft Legend xcaliber?
Old 03-10-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishunter327 View Post
Anybody here have any experience with a 18 or 20ft Legend xcaliber?
I have been doing a lot of research online and after getting the Legend priced with a decent power engine they just dont make a lot of sense price wise. I have no experience with them, but they dont seem as good as the big brand for about the same price in the end.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptemomo View Post
I have been doing a lot of research online and after getting the Legend priced with a decent power engine they just dont make a lot of sense price wise. I have no experience with them, but they dont seem as good as the big brand for about the same price in the end.
You hit the nail on the head. Price the same motor and look at adding the features you might find on a premium product and you will see very little difference.

Trailer - cheap thin tube? thickness of hull or double plating? how many bilge pumps? wiring fuse block and harness? what do the seats look like? storage hatches and hinges?

Have a close look and you will have "seen the light".
Old 03-11-2013, 10:11 AM

Just curious with your choice of watercraft. I would like to know since you are selling a smokercraft or have you sold it already why you would list it as your 4th choice?? The reason I ask is I purchased a pro angler last fall from Shipwreck and am beginning to think either the choice of watercraft was a bad decision or the choice of dealership was a bad choice? In another post I noticed a member mentioned Shipwreck has had a problem with the BBB?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overparr View Post
Just curious with your choice of watercraft. I would like to know since you are selling a smokercraft or have you sold it already why you would list it as your 4th choice?? The reason I ask is I purchased a pro angler last fall from Shipwreck and am beginning to think either the choice of watercraft was a bad decision or the choice of dealership was a bad choice? In another post I noticed a member mentioned Shipwreck has had a problem with the BBB?
That's a fair question.

The Smokercraft is a mid market average boat. You put any mid market boat like a SmokerCraft against a Crestliner, Alumacraft, Kingfisher (Harbercraft) and Lunds and it just isn't as good as these premium brands.

Knowing what i know now - I would have spent the extra 10-15% and purchased a Crestliner or Lund at that time.

Don't get me wrong - Smokercraft is a good boat and I have had no major issues with it, as a boat. The dealer, however, is a joke. The local Smokercraft dealer here in Edmonton are crooks and thieves. They don't manufacture the boat - they just sell and service them under warranty.

I have had all my spring and fall service done at Free Spirt and they have been great. The Merc 2 stroke on the back of my boat runs like a top and and provides lots of power to do any watersports with the teenage kids. It's been a great boat.

Keep in mind - Some of these premium boats are better than others. The list to reads, to me like this, Mercedes, BMW, Caddilac, Ford or Kia. The Smokercraft, in this anology, is the standard Ford here. Fords are good vehicles.

After looking at Trackers this weekend (I was at a soccer tournament with my son in Calgary) and stopped in at BassPro - the Trackers are lower in quality than my Smokercraft by a long shot. They are the Kia in this set of comparisons.

I don't want to trash the Trackers or Legends ........ just have a close look at them. I shouldn't be able to push the hull in my thumb should I? The thickness of the doors and floors is no where near the strength of my boat. I climbed in and the floor was spongy and weak - the sales guy quickly came over to intercept me .... lol. Hinges, plastic pulls, non protected, non waterproof wiring block, uninslated live well etc...... I actuated the throtle control at the helm and I could see the side of the panel bending !!!!!

I recently purchased a Lund - becuase they are absolutely the best quality boat within this premium category for the same reasons I noted;

- Better trailers
- Better wiring
- stonger hinges and latches
- 1 manual and 1 auto bilige pump (2 pumps)
- Best flotation
- Double plated hulls
- IPS2 dry ride hull
- Automotive fuse block and wiring harness
- Stronger Transom (look at weight/hp rating for each boat)
- Top industry re-sale value

The choice was clear as a bell to me .......... after looking closely at the things you "might not see" it's not hard to spend an extra $1000 on a $40,000boat.

It was a no brainer to me. There is no intelligent arguement that can't be governed by the simple facts. Look at the specs and look at the fine details.

It's easy to make a boat look sexy ........ but some of the worst cars out there look pretty cool too don't they.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:09 PM

Default Better bracing

Don't leave out Lund better marine plywood ...

More bracing in crucial areas .....The only way to figure this out is keep

One of those cheaper boats and a Lund for 5 to 10 yrs and then look at the product..
It's incredible ......And the thing that really kills those cheaper boats
Is the trailering ,shakes the guts out of those boats. . I like the dealers that put those cheap boats on no name roller trailers.....buyer beware

Also those smoker and trackers aren't that much cheaper.....a smart shopper
In alberta will buy the best for the same price as the crap....apples to apples.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:03 PM

Also compare this stat;

Lund level flotation = max persons/gear weight rating ...........

Lund 18ft Tyee = capacity of 1700 lbs

SmokerCraft 182 = capcity of 1725 lbs

Tracker V 18 = capacity of 900 lbs

......... hmmmmmmmmmm ............
Old 03-11-2013, 02:36 PM

Have you considered a jet boat. I don't think I will ever buy another fishing boat. 19 ft Northwest suits me just fine. Awesome on any lake or river.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:04 AM

I just bought my Smokercraft from Shipwreck and ONLY did because it is the only Smoker dealer in town. I purchased a Four Winns from them last year and the minute I left the showroom after the cheque cleared they pretty much forgot I existed. I had a warranty issue with my FourWinns and when I contacted them, they deferred it until spring. When spring came, their service email addy was gone/changed. After repeated attempts to get the part, I gave up and sold the boat. I will not use them for service/warranty work, not to mention the sales guy on the FourWinns was an arrogant jerk. I specifically asked for a differerent sales rep this time and he was much better.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:23 AM

I bought a Tracker and have ran it for 3 seasons and not an ounce of problems. If I were to do it over Sylvan and Prince Craft are on the top of my list for a nice looking well built boats if luxury your what you want. But my next lake boat will be a Hewes Craft there priced well and will out last all alluminum boats built plastic or fibre glass consoles. I did my research when I bought my Tracker. Every make and model have had issues and seem the alway come out when your researching. I have heard bad thing an all boats.

I have owned a Crestliner and got shafted on warranty when transom failed. Thank god it wasn't on the lake. Found it when I was giving her a spit shine. And later found our it was common problem with crestliner's. My brother in-laws Lund is 5 years old now and has a leak that they can't find and the console cracked out just when it came off warranty.

My advice start with what your budget is. Research what's in your price range and pick the better one.

One thing I like about Tracker is there back by BPS and will be around for a while. Can't say as much for some of the other manufactures.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Also compare this stat;

Lund level flotation = max persons/gear weight rating ...........

Lund 18ft Tyee = capacity of 1700 lbs

SmokerCraft 182 = capcity of 1725 lbs

Tracker V 18 = capacity of 900 lbs

......... hmmmmmmmmmm ............

lol...better re-check your spec's. Last time i checked i was pretty sure tracker had 1650 lbs capacity, not 900. Maybe list all specs, as mentioned in another post they could push the metal in on the side of a tracker. Well surprise they are the same thickness of aluminum as lund and other competators. You can also list that the tracker is a wider boat than most, making them more roomy...

...........hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........
Old 03-12-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmag View Post
lol...better re-check your spec's. Last time i checked i was pretty sure tracker had 1650 lbs capacity, not 900. Maybe list all specs, as mentioned in another post they could push the metal in on the side of a tracker. Well surprise they are the same thickness of aluminum as lund and other competators. You can also list that the tracker is a wider boat than most, making them more roomy...

The way capacity is reported NORMALLY allows for boat, motor and fuel.

The capacity I am quoting is net (after motor and fuel).

Maybe the Tracker wensite is wrong ....... lol ........ or you are yet another victim of clever marketing ..........it looks like 900 lbs to me.

http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/specs.cfm?boat=3414

hmmmmmmm........ look a little closer at Lunds spec sheets .....

http://www.lundboats.com/boats/2013-...1800-tyee#tab1

any other questions?

hmmmmmmmmmmm x3
Old 03-12-2013, 11:32 AM

Hey Viper,

I heard that Sylvan is no longer building boats, just pontoons. You will need to buy a Smoker (same company)......FYI
Old 03-12-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmag View Post

The same thickness???? Not quite.
I'm not sure about that -

Lund = .200 double plated hull to midship and .100 for balance of hull

Tracker = .100 troughout

I'm guessing the Tracker is even thinner on the sides as it is not specified ....the lund uses .080 for the sides ....... can't find any data on tracker but it was remarkably thin. I can tell you, there is a big difference. The lund will not defelect anywhere near that of the tracker. I'm sure there are some structural members in the Lund maybe - but just tesat it out yourself.

Use the same links, if you can't figure out where to find it I can post the info - just let me know.

I don't want to trash any boat - but I do want the OP and other reader to get FACTUAL information so they can make educted descisions. I hate to see good members become victims of clever marketing.

I appoligize if I've made you angry, just trying to present the facts.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:52 AM

We have a fish hawk crestliner and we have caught a ton of fish from it. It's a great little boat, but now that I have two toddlers, I find its not that great for space! I like a few of the Lund boats. Bit wider!