Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-12-2016, 10:59 AM

Default Place to target shoot

For those of you who live in Calgary, where do you target shoot, sight-in rifles, shoot clays?

Homestead range is closed now correct?

I have been forever searching for a place to sight-in my deer rifle and shoot a few clays. Asked around to those few people I know who own property in the country, but mostly the land is leased/rented out and they don't need the hastle.

So what are the options?

Are gun club ranges affordable? Is the atmosphere there comfortable for Joe Hunter or are they populated with mostly gun snobs showing off their latest toys?

As far as I know it is illegal to target shoot on Crown Land, but is this an option if you find a nice secluded spot and clean up after yourself?

Does anyone know any land owners who would be interested in letting my on their land once in awhile, I'd be willing to pay either dollars or meat.

Are there any other good options?

Thanks, Boomer
Old 03-12-2016, 11:17 AM

Completely legal to shoot on crown land, no issues at all.
Just make sure you clean up your mess afterwards and respect others, it's all good!
Cat
Old 03-12-2016, 11:27 AM

You do need to check with local restrictions, as shooting is regulated in certain areas. As for the attitudes at ranges, I have never found myself intimidated at any range. In fact you may find hunting or shooting partners at the range.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Boomer View Post
For those of you who live in Calgary, where do you target shoot, sight-in rifles, shoot clays?

Homestead range is closed now correct?

I have been forever searching for a place to sight-in my deer rifle and shoot a few clays. Asked around to those few people I know who own property in the country, but mostly the land is leased/rented out and they don't need the hastle.

So what are the options?

Are gun club ranges affordable? Is the atmosphere there comfortable for Joe Hunter or are they populated with mostly gun snobs showing off their latest toys?

As far as I know it is illegal to target shoot on Crown Land, but is this an option if you find a nice secluded spot and clean up after yourself?

Does anyone know any land owners who would be interested in letting my on their land once in awhile, I'd be willing to pay either dollars or meat.

Are there any other good options?

Thanks, Boomer
I suggest that you use the CDTSA range out in Milo. And if you are inclined to not like the gun snobs with nice equipment, just ignore them and mind your own shooting lane. You can make it as comfortable as you wish. There, problem solved.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
You can make it as comfortable as you wish.
And that is what it comes down to.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:44 PM

I've only ever met one real jerk at a range. Met a few braggarts who talk like if they have it, it must be the best, and everything else is inferior. Unfortunately, encountered a number of unsafe people. Left one range because of it.

99% of people are great, and I have met many fellow AO members at ranges as well.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:59 PM

Default Shooting

Cat is correct you can shoot on crown land. In my opinion around large cites it's a bad idea to hit crown land for shooting. There too many people out hiking etc and it riles up every landowner in the neighbourhood, creates more dislike of shooters and hunters. As we get more and more populated I'm beginning to think that ranges are the best idea. Unfortunately they continue to close ranges and force people to shoot wherever they can. It's a self defeating circle.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:04 PM

Thanks for all the responses helping to figure this one out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Completely legal to shoot on crown land, no issues at all.
Just make sure you clean up your mess afterwards and respect others, it's all good!
Cat
Great! I swear last year I found a AB government web page that stipulated while discharging firearms while hunting was permitted on crown land, doing so for target practice or sighting-in a rifle was not allowed. Of course I can't find anything like this now.

I did find this:

Use of firearms in public land recreation areas and trails

188(1) No person, except an officer engaged in the control of
wildlife or a person authorized by an officer to assist in that
activity, shall set a trap, use an explosive or discharge a firearm
within a public land recreation area or on a public land recreation
trail.

(2) No person shall discharge a firearm on public land in such a
manner as to endanger persons or resources within a public land
recreation area or on a public land recreation trail.

Which I suppose backs up what you're saying. I'm assuming a "public land recreation area" would be something like an official campsite or similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You do need to check with local restrictions, as shooting is regulated in certain areas. As for the attitudes at ranges, I have never found myself intimidated at any range. In fact you may find hunting or shooting partners at the range.
Good to know about the ranges. Do any of the Calgary ranges go out to 200 yards?

On thing I was curious about. Is a Public Land Use Zones (PLUZ) a part of crown land? It would appear so from this map.

http://esrd.alberta.ca/recreation-pu...Jul07-2014.pdf

So It would appear that if I drove around the Ghost PLUZ and found a good spot to shoot, it would be legal to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I suggest that you use the CDTSA range out in Milo. And if you are inclined to not like the gun snobs with nice equipment, just ignore them and mind your own shooting lane. You can make it as comfortable as you wish. There, problem solved.
I might check this place out if I can't find anyplace decent on crown land. Do you need an appointment or just show up? What are the fees like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Cat is correct you can shoot on crown land. In my opinion around large cites it's a bad idea to hit crown land for shooting. There too many people out hiking etc and it riles up every landowner in the neighbourhood, creates more dislike of shooters and hunters. As we get more and more populated I'm beginning to think that ranges are the best idea. Unfortunately they continue to close ranges and force people to shoot wherever they can. It's a self defeating circle.
Besides being dangerous, I wouldn't feel comfortable sighting-in my rifles if I could even see another person. I've not spent any time in the Ghost PLUZ, but I'm hoping I can find an secluded and open spot with a suitable backspot to suit my needs.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I joined the cdtsa in January of this year, I've been to the Shepard range a few times and the Milo range a few times, I love both facilities. The Milo range is spectacular, and have yet to run into a person there yet. I'd high recommend it, however they aren't accepting new members till next year.

Kevin
Old 03-12-2016, 09:14 PM

I came across two guys shooting in the PLUZ west of water valley today and asked them if they ever had anyone say they couldn't target shoot there. They said no. I think you have to be so many meters from the road and your good to go. How many meters I'm not sure but 250 rings a bell.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:46 AM

Quote:
OK, this is coming from a guy completely new this year to all this stuff.

I bought a range membership at a popular & excellent local range in Jan 2015, as my kids were showing signs of becoming interested. Went out a few times last summer w my BIL with his stuff to give it a try. It was a lot of fun and everybody was pretty much focused on what they were doing, no snobbery that I could see. In fact, if anything, there was a tendency to the reverse, with honest curiosity "So, what're you out shooting today?" Didn't matter what anybody had, they were just happy to talk about it. Really, just guys being sociable while doing something they enjoy.

I've only ever had one range day I'd call unpleasant, and even then calling that is a stretch. It was the day after my son and I had purchased our first rifles after I'd gotten my PAL. It was a nice Saturday afternoon in hunting season & the range was very busy. Waiting for the cease-fires to be called so we could set up for initial sight-in at 25 m, then over to 100 m, then pull down targets when we were done was a lot of waiting. But even with the place humming, there was no snobbery. Just a lot of waiting. But it's only been like that that one time. Other than that, it's either been guys minding their own business, or amiably chatting. A few times there's even been guys who've offered helpful advice, but it's never come unsolicited and always been offered out of the best of intent.

As to the cost, well let's just say I can't believe large ranges like mine are able to even keep their doors open for what they charge. Seriously, I spend more on coffee in a year than what I pay to go to my range. A full family range membership that gives me access to all the range amenities, including campground, Kilometres of walking trails, kids' trout pond, archery range, club house and an excellent array of ranges is under $200/year.

Seriously, look at finding a range locally for yourself, you'll thank yourself afterward.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
I came across two guys shooting in the PLUZ west of water valley today and asked them if they ever had anyone say they couldn't target shoot there. They said no. I think you have to be so many meters from the road and your good to go. How many meters I'm not sure but 250 rings a bell.
200 yards or 182 meters.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolHammer View Post
200 yards or 182 meters.
Thanks for the info. I belong to a range but 300 yrds is a little on the short side for what I like to do. But I always feel like I'm going to get in trouble when I'm on crown land target shooting even though I am legal. Especially being close to a main road in plane view.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Besides being dangerous, I wouldn't feel comfortable sighting-in my rifles if I could even see another person. I've not spent any time in the Ghost PLUZ, but I'm hoping I can find an secluded and open spot with a suitable backspot to suit my needs.
LOL, not to be too brash, but that ain't gonna happen. In the last several months the Ghost PLUZ has become a gong show/rodeo. Any place that you can find that's open enough to do some shooting, and accessible by truck, often has trucks lined up along the dirt trails shooting targets. I've seen some unsafe situations, and run into a couple of jerks. Most of the people are pretty friendly, if not a little unsafe (seems like most of the Homestead public range users have migrated to the PLUZ), but you'd definitely have to get used to shooting with other people around...
Old 03-13-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Most of the people are pretty friendly, if not a little unsafe (seems like most of the Homestead public range users have migrated to the PLUZ), but you'd definitely have to get used to shooting with other people around...
Basically like shooting at a range , but with no rules, no proper backstops, and no insurance.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:30 AM
Banned

The wiaparous area is a nice place for target practice. It's always good if possible to take a quick walk around the trajectory zone for people. I always give a quick blast with a boat horn before I unleash the fury of lead as an alert signal that bullets are going to fly. If you can find a near by gravel pit and get permission to shoot there is your best option if your not up for a drive.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:27 PM

We will see how long shooting in Wiprious and Ghost are will last. I'm guessing maybe get a summer left of shooting in these areas. I hate being such a pessimist but the writing is on the wall. The antis couldn't have made it easier for themselves if they tried.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
Quote:
200 yards or 182 meters.
Hi guys, sorry to dredge up this thread from a few months back. I can't find any official webpage that confirms you need to be 200 yards from a road while shooting on crown land.

What I did find from the hunting regs was:

Quote:
It is unlawful to

discharge a firearm from or cause a projectile from a firearm to pass along or across:
a) a provincial highway (this designation applies to all former primary and secondary highways),
b) a road that is paved, oiled, graded or regularly maintained, unless
- the road is held under any active disposition under the Public Lands Act or under an order under the Surface Rights Act
, or
- the person is hunting game birds with a shotgun under the authority of a licence.
Note: if there is no identifiable ditch or fence to mark the outside edge of the roadway, then the roadway extends 20 feet from the edge of the traveled portion.
Now to me this may indicate that gravel roads on crown land are fair game without the 200 yard restriction? And if that's there's no restriction for hunting, there probably isn't one for target shooting?

Does anyone else read it the same way, or do you have a link that verifies the 200 yard road allowance restriction?

This all seems very vague, I wish the government would clear it up.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Hi guys, sorry to dredge up this thread from a few months back. I can't find any official webpage that confirms you need to be 200 yards from a road while shooting on crown land.

What I did find from the hunting regs was:

Now to me this may indicate that gravel roads on crown land are fair game without the 200 yard restriction? And if that's there's no restriction for hunting, there probably isn't one for target shooting?

Does anyone else read it the same way, or do you have a link that verifies the 200 yard road allowance restriction?

This all seems very vague, I wish the government would clear it up.

You are confusing the rule about shooting by or near an occupied building(200 yds) with the rules about roads and road allowances.

Rural roads typically have an easement of 1 chain in width(66feet) that means the surveyed ditch is some 33 feet from the road centreline. But that is not absolute as some jurisdiction morph the land survey system.
In essence you have to be outta the ditch on the bush or field side(accross the fence) but even that gets messy sometimes as often fences are not put where they should be.

You're best bet is if it isn't 100% known as to the disposition of a road, you're better off just getting off your duff and burning some shoe leather.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-19-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
200 yards or 182 meters.
Is it not 400 yard 385 m? For some reason I thought it was the same as all the other wildlife road corridors.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthShore View Post
Is it not 400 yard 385 m? For some reason I thought it was the same as all the other wildlife road corridors.
No, Dick was right above - I was thinking about the envelope around inhabited dwellings.