Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-15-2016, 11:57 AM

Default Thoughts on the Remington Model 783 in 243WIN

Hello All,

I am looking to Buy a rifle for my girlfriend that is new to hunting. I want a light gun so she won't get exhausted lugging mine around. Anyone have the Remington® Model 783 in a 243 or have thoughts on the rifle? Its only $500 with a scope at Cabelas so the price is definitely right. I just don't want a Lemon though.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 08-15-2016, 12:05 PM

.243 win is a great cartridge for a new hunter, mild recoil, good performance, etc.
With rifles you typically get what you pay for, hence why the Rem 783 is new around $500. Its Remington's way of competing with the Savage Axis and Ruger American type rifles. I think it is an acceptable entry level rifle, but nothing more than that. As far as you not wanting a lemon... they can be found in any price range, and sometimes "budget" rifles can surprise you and be tack drivers.
Go and handle the rifle, if it fits her and fits your budget then happy shooting.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:39 PM

I bought one for my brother in law as a new hunter, it was putting just over moa with federal blue box. Fit and feel is good for a smaller framed person. But like most 783 sometimes it has trouble picking up a round from the mag so I switched him over to an axis in 7mm-08. More accurate with Winchester and recoil is comparable with about the same weight in the rifle
Old 08-16-2016, 08:31 AM

Thanks Guys appreciate the Help
Old 08-16-2016, 08:59 AM

I just put a 783 together for my wife in .308 and I am completely surprise at how nice a gun it is for the money. My wife is 5'4" 105lbs and she's shooting hers in .308 with no issues with handling or recoil. Those Supercell recoil pads work very well. The only issue I have with them is the scopes on those guns are seriously lacking so we put a Leupold VX-2 on instead. During daylight hours you likely won't have too much of an issue with them but those scopes would be frustrating during twilight.

The gun shoots around MOA with Barnes ammo. Someone above mentioned feeding issues, I've never had any with mine and in the 70+ 783s I've sold clients, no one has reported feeding issues. For $489 with a scope they're a hell of a rifle and Remington has a $40 rebate on them right now too.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:04 AM

Default 783

I test-fired a friend's 783. Trigger was AWFUL, and without a good trigger you don't have a good rifle!
Old 08-16-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletman View Post
I test-fired a friend's 783. Trigger was AWFUL, and without a good trigger you don't have a good rifle!
Spend a little more and get a lot better rifle. Remington doesn't have a good record with their low end stuff.
Grizz
Old 08-16-2016, 11:20 AM

^^^ X2

I too looked at one, but I'm long past the a-ok days, nice rifle for what you get, but a few more bucks gets a person something much better,,,

And re-sale value added if one decides to sell it latter on.

Just a thought as its your budget as you see fit bro.

Happy hunting for your needs.

Pal Don
Old 08-16-2016, 11:48 AM

Be aware that the scopes on those rifles are very low end, and often they aren't all that reliable. Personally, I would be looking at a T-3 if you want light, and a Vanguard if a little more weight isn't a big deal. Both have much better triggers.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:51 PM

The trigger on mine is very good once i got used to the blade and it goes light enough that i could use it unlike some of the triggers on my 700 rifles. Like the 700 detachable and internal mag rifles and probably any other double stack mag you have to load it so the shells are straight or the bolt may not pick up the round. Mine works great. Its not a liteweight gun. I like mine as much as some of my more expensive guns. The bolt is even "smooth", athough that took a few hundred rounds
Old 08-16-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Be aware that the scopes on those rifles are very low end, and often they aren't all that reliable. Personally, I would be looking at a T-3 if you want light, and a Vanguard if a little more weight isn't a big deal. Both have much better triggers.
and actions, and stocks, and bottoms, and resale value
Old 08-16-2016, 02:35 PM

A buddy of mine bought one. Let's just say I would never entertain the idea of buying one, and if someone offered me it for free, I might ask for a rain check. Thoroughly underwhelmed. In that price range, at least for me, the Vanguard is tops, followed by Ruger American.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:07 PM

I have one in .270win, picked it up at cabelas for $299 and a $50 rebate. For a $249 rifle it is great. Trigger is OK, shoots MOA with handloads. Not a super light rifle though. I'm happy enough with mine, but i don't think i would pay $500 for it!
Old 08-17-2016, 02:03 PM
Banned

Look at a Savage instead. Out of the box accuracy is great, price is decent, quality is reflective of the price.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:25 PM

I would have to agree on the Savage Axis II. Picked one up this spring in .243 at Canadian Tire for $345 and love it. Light and accurate out of the box.
Definitely check Canadian Tire prices as well. The last couple of times I have gone looking they have been a couple hundred cheaper.

Why Do I Have to Work.......Need to be outside more!!
Old 08-17-2016, 06:20 PM

Default Thoughts on the Remington Model 783 in 243WIN

I would stay well clear of the cheap guns. I just don't get how a person can like those bricks. A poor excuse for a gun IMO. Weatherby vanguard or tikka t3. Not a bolt browning fan at all either. A 243 is probably the best cartridge you'll get on the smaller legal calibers you can get. Excellent on coyotes and if you know what your doing can take a moose or even an elk if you absolutely had to; Obviously there is better but added recoil is substantial.

Sent from my photon beam particle emitter
Old 08-17-2016, 09:27 PM

Have never tried the 783. I have shot 3 factory savage axis without accutrigger. All these had crap triggers but still feed and shoot fine . Around 1 1/2" to 2" with cheap federal ammo. No complaints. I have since worked on my axis trigger. 243 is a great beginner round. Deer and coyote specially. I sort of just experimented with my savage but do suggest buying a used better quality rifle. If elk is in the future consider 6.5x55 in tikka t3 or 270 win with a limbsaver recoil pad.
By all means though take her to a gunshop. I'm sure "Madball" can sit her down and see how the 783 fits her. 243, 270 and even 308. There is a shorter length of pull available in the 783 as well.
I'm just glad to hear someone is getting their lady out and about and she's getting her own rifle. win win. Good luck
Old 08-17-2016, 09:59 PM

I'd be tempted to get a used gun. Something better than entry level.
If things go south with her it is easier to resell and probly get what you paid for it.
just don't expect to own a budget gun that shoots cloverleaf groups and all will be well.
I got a gun fir my wife but it wasn't really a fair trade....

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31