Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-20-2016, 06:43 PM

Default building a 20 practical

I want to build a 20 practical. I have a buddy that has a axis in 22-250, I can pick it up for 200 it has a regular barrel and I want a HB. So I was thinking of rebarrelling in to a heavy barrel 20 practical if I can or would is be more cost effective to just put a HB and leave it a 22-250

So, I guess my question is that action capable of being chambered to a 20 practical.. this gun building is all new and I dont know what action is good to work with and what it can be made in too
Old 08-20-2016, 06:56 PM

It may not feed the 223 casings properly. Simply changing to a 223 magazine follower may remedy that issue if it exists. That being said, the 20Practical is an excellent cartridge, that produces very good ballistics with the 39/40gr bullets. The 20 Tactical is another option, and factory Lapua brass is available, should you decide to go that route.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:05 PM

Ok, maybe i will just pick up the 22-250 just because, and put a HB on that .Then I can keep my eyes open for a 223 thats at a good price and build off that...
whats the difference between the tactical and practical, is one more accurate than the other?
Old 08-20-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Dog Blaster View Post
Ok, maybe i will just pick up the 22-250 just because, and put a HB on that .Then I can keep my eyes open for a 223 thats at a good price and build off that...
whats the difference between the tactical and practical, is one more accurate than the other?

The tactical has a longer neck, which some people prefer. The practical does not require fireforming when forming from 223rem cases, but the 20 tactical does have factory cases by Lapua available. Ballistics wise, they are pretty much the same, and about the same as a 204R. I prefer either over the 204R because of the the short throat on the 204R, and because of the availability of better quality brass for the practical and tactical.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 08-20-2016 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:25 PM

Thanks, I guess i will be on the hunt for an action
Old 08-21-2016, 07:29 AM

In addition to feeding, which is an easy fix, you will need to change the bolt head as the 223 has a smaller rim diameter than the 22-250. .473 vs .378 on the 223. The head is easy to change on a Axis or Savage. Parts are pretty cheap, about $60. With the low starting cost it should be an economical conversion. You can buy a fully contoured chambered barrel in 20 Practical, for about $450 from Mystic Precision, and mount it yourself.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:23 PM

The 20 Practical would be the way I would go due to no messing with firefoming. Just neck down and you are good to go. Also, you may just want to find a savage in 223 and make your life easy. No changing of bolt heads, magazine will work fine... And, if you get one with the accutrigger, you may not want to even upgrade the trigger. I have built a 35 Whelen off a Savage action a few years back. I bought a semi bull Shilen Stainless barrel from mystic Precision and the head spaces gauges and did the change myself. Just an FYI, getting the barrel but off can be a real PITA especially if it is not the slotted nut. A barrel vice is pretty much a must unless you are ok with wrecking the perfectly good barrel you will be removing. Savages are really cool for working on for the regular joe who wants to do a wildcat. Have fun