Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-01-2018, 01:23 PM

Default most remembered squib

The most effective way to hunt ducks is of course with decoys and calls.On shore rough days you head off shore for the diveing birds.One such occasion i took the 22 plank boat offshore,The water dead calm,but heavy swell.Doing ok with the divers,we stopped mid day for lunch,all hands relaxed feet up a rare warm march day.In the distance i spotted a hugh eider headed our way,No body move i said i will show how this is done.The duck flared away at about 40 yards,I swung and pulled the trigger,there was a small peoff,as the main charge fail to go in a reload,only the cap.There was a tinkleing noice as the shot rolled out the barrel into the water.The roaring of laughter went on forever,at xmas get togethers,the incident was described in detailby my hunting pards for many many years.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:54 AM

Good one !!
Probably 40 years ago a shooting buddy and I went gopher shooting in early spring . We pull up to the gopher patch and there is a coyote maybe 100 yds away. It's really not paying any attention to us. My buddy pipes up and says he has his 58 cal black powder rifle behind the seat and wants to discharge it and kill the coyote . He touched it off and a puff of smoke , I could see the bullet pop out and land about 20 yards ahead of us .Needless to say he took some ribbing
Old 02-03-2018, 07:45 AM

Used to have a JC, was shooting someone else's reloads at the range. I heard a click no boom, cycled the bolt but I remembered seeing smoke come out of the spent case so I held off on firing. Emptied the gun and ran a cleaning rod down the barrel, sure enough out popped a bullet. The cartridge was primed but had no powder, could've made a mess of that Enfield and/or me if I hadn't checked.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:38 PM

Default squib

wow for sure a close call,you or someone close by could have been injuryed.always pays to be alert when firearms involved.My father many years ago used modern ammo in a old twist steel shot gun it burst open,slight injury to his left hand,But the beak of his cap shredded.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:06 PM

Default Squib

I went culling porcupines one night in the Free State of South Africa. The varmints were causing huge damage to their crops by chewing on their roots. It was clover or some such thing.

They had shot dozens and dozens of the nocturnal beasts but the end was not yet in sight.

I had passed up a $125 U.S. porcupine years earlier in Zimbabwe and thought that this might be a good experience without costing me much or any money.

The African porcupine has enormously long quills.

My weapon of choice was a 375 Ruger that I was hoping to trade off on a leopard hunt for my lady. She had a 270 but only a box of shells as she does not depend so much on fire power as I do ..

So the landowner drove us around searching for porcupines and whenever one was spotted the beast would hare it off to the long grass as I tried to mow them down ... actually they can really boogie when some lout is slinging lead ..

However I did have one shell go 'poof!'... it was ejected .. I checked to make sure that the bullet was not stuck in the barrel and continued on with the hunt ... I did get four in total with one making its escape ..

The next day a PH from Mozambique went over to the vehicle and came back laughing and threatening to show the brass on You Tube.

I had chambered and fired a 270 shell in my 375 Ruger rifle .. The brass was swollen and split according to the size of the chamber ..

What an idiot ..