Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-03-2011, 03:05 PM

Default Fly Rod Reccomendation

Hey guys,

Looking to replace an old hand-me-down fly rod. Looking for something 4 or 5 weight, 9 feet long.

Not about to buy top of the line gear, but want something that will last me a while. A combo with a new reel wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Let me know what you suggest,

Thanks
Old 06-03-2011, 03:36 PM

Temple fork outfitters BVK....4 piece, 9ft 5 weight. Great local warranty
A Pflueger trion reel is a great reel, reasonable price
Old 06-03-2011, 04:39 PM

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Productg...=1&topnav=&s=1

Has since turned into my backup/loaner rod/reel, but a great combo, for an even better price. Free shipping even. A great starter/weekend warrior setup.

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt
Old 06-03-2011, 05:11 PM

Coltonfly.com, check out the rods and go on eBay and get a 200$ 4wt. For 70$. Love mine
Old 06-03-2011, 08:01 PM

I got a TFO Lefty Kreh Professional Series rod for xmas. I have only been out to use it a couple of times but so far it has treated me very well (a HUGE upgrade over the old Berkley Cherrywood aka "Canadian Tire Special" I had previously). Also, these rods come with a no fault lifetime warranty.

Shop around though, you could save yourself alot of money. I found a fly shop in Montana where I could order it online for about 70% of the cost if I had bought it locally (including shipping).

I think it'd be a good idea to go down to a fly shop and cast the rods before you buy something though. Different people have different casting strokes and will therefor find different rods easier to cast than others.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:22 PM

st croix rio santo, best value on a fly rod.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:38 PM

Sage z-axis with hardy princess reel, lined with rio gold. you can't go wrong with this combo.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:39 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlin0122 View Post
Sage z-axis with hardy princess reel, lined with rio gold. you can't go wrong with this combo.
good thing you read his post
Old 06-03-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
good thing you read his post
LOL.

Winston make some nice lower end rods and they still carry the winston warranty.

Madison River usually has some good sales.
For any one interested they have a good sale on some T&T rods right now.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:55 PM

Echo fly rods all way. Cheap, awesome quality and their customer service/warranty is phenomenal
Old 06-04-2011, 07:19 AM

Colton rods are OK...but discounted rods have no warranty. Additionally, any warranty work for non-discounted rods will cost you around $100 to send it back to the east coast USA
Old 06-04-2011, 07:40 AM

I have a tfo bvk six weight with a sage 1800 series reel and rio gold line. nice set up for under 450$. good warranty also.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:58 AM

Hard to beat TFO for the price:quality ratio, and their warranty is great, and locally serviced.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:50 PM

This flyfishing out here is so over the top, as far as equipment goes. Flyfished all my life. If you spend more than $150 that's your call for rod, reel and line. You don't need to spend to catch fish. Skill is priceless.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
st croix rio santo, best value on a fly rod.
2X, St.Croix all the way!!
Old 06-05-2011, 03:07 PM

I can't speak for their factory rods as I never used one, but I like St. Croix's blanks. Their older ones anyway. I have a LU and an Imperial that I built on quite a few years ago and they are nice blanks. I use the LU for pike fishing and a back up salmon rod. I know a few guys who use the new Imperials and really like them.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:48 PM

Default Go Pieroway

http://pierowayrods.com/PRBlog

They are a Calgary company making great rods. They're warranty is awesome. I have a TFO TiCR 5wt and it doesn't compare to my Pieroway.

On a side note: TFO TiCR 5wt 4 piece for sale. Lightly used. plastic still on the handle.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlin0122 View Post
Old 06-05-2011, 04:54 PM

another option to consider is cabela's rods. I am not sure who manufactures them but they are a great starter rod and cast well. You can get a combo from them on sale for a really good deal, plus they include backing and a quality SA line with them. I think you guys are getting a store soon as well, and the warranty can't be beat. If they no longer carry the model you need replaced, they just give you store credit to get a new one - and a lot of times the store credit is more than what you even paid for it originally. I have the RLS reel and it is fantastic.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:01 PM

If you keep an eye out at Fishing Hole, Whole sale, fishing shows, etc.. Sage has their VT2's on cheap. Its a very decent fly rod with a good back bone. Definitely can get one for below $300 with a good sale.. not sure if that's too pricy for you though. I picked mine up from cabela's USA about two months ago for just over $200..
Old 06-05-2011, 11:30 PM

I to am just starting out I looked at quite a few different packages yesterday, and with some good advice from some fellow members that were with me I am going to go with the Amundson combo comes with everything you need even a spare spool. 220 bucks at wsss.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."