Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-17-2016, 10:35 AM

Default Buck Lake

Just wondering if any can provide some input on how Buck Lake near Winfield fished last spring, summer and fall. Are the pike numbers decent, walleye decent etc.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:51 AM

in the summer lots of walleye in the 48-49 cm range.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
in the summer lots of walleye in the 48-49 cm range.
X2, you catch 40 walleye in that size range before you get 1 over 50cm
Old 01-17-2016, 01:43 PM
Banned

Found the pike numbers not to bad, had to put in some time for keeper size tho. & with all the just under 50cm walleye last year, one would assume that there should be plenty over 50 this year. Found the perch to be not bad either.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonTreadOnMe View Post
Found the pike numbers not to bad, had to put in some time for keeper size tho. & with all the just under 50cm walleye last year, one would assume that there should be plenty over 50 this year. Found the perch to be not bad either.
the walleye have been just under 50 cm as long as i can remember, i have fished there for 40 years not much has changed except for the perch size has gone down,
Old 01-18-2016, 09:00 AM

Thanks everyone. Was hoping to hear better reports as that was my hunch. I was hoping it had more legal sized fish in it.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikezilk View Post
Thanks everyone. Was hoping to hear better reports as that was my hunch. I was hoping it had more legal sized fish in it.
I have caught legal pike every trip there and there are legal walleye and perch caught all the time just not in big numbers. I have also seen whitefish on camera and a buddy caught a burbot there.

There are few good lakes in the area, if you want a pike lake with some diversity then Buck or Gull are the best options. Gull probably has better chance of more perch, whitefish and burbot but at Buck there is chance of a keeper walleye. If you want a lake with more keeper walleye then you are going to have to spread your range significantly unless they will allow you to count walleye from a tag only lake in which case Battle would be a decent choice. You might need to ask around a bit too, your choice of weekend might make it hard to find the hall or campground spot you need as they might be booked up already.

Since you chose a long weekend I would take a chance and make it a destination lake with good scenery and good fishing and I have a feeling quite a few people would make the longer drives to get there. Somewhere in the lakeland area, maligne, kananaskis etc(albeit again finding campground/hall etc might be difficult though).
Old 01-18-2016, 12:04 PM
Banned

No tags for walleye anymore at battle. ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I have caught legal pike every trip there and there are legal walleye and perch caught all the time just not in big numbers. I have also seen whitefish on camera and a buddy caught a burbot there.

There are few good lakes in the area, if you want a pike lake with some diversity then Buck or Gull are the best options. Gull probably has better chance of more perch, whitefish and burbot but at Buck there is chance of a keeper walleye. If you want a lake with more keeper walleye then you are going to have to spread your range significantly unless they will allow you to count walleye from a tag only lake in which case Battle would be a decent choice. You might need to ask around a bit too, your choice of weekend might make it hard to find the hall or campground spot you need as they might be booked up already.

Since you chose a long weekend I would take a chance and make it a destination lake with good scenery and good fishing and I have a feeling quite a few people would make the longer drives to get there. Somewhere in the lakeland area, maligne, kananaskis etc(albeit again finding campground/hall etc might be difficult though).
Old 01-18-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binnzer32 View Post
No tags for walleye anymore at battle. ..
I didn't realize that. Buck or Gull are definitely higher on my list for what Mike is looking for then.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:01 AM

Went there yesterday. 1st time ! 2 X 10" perch and a couple 2 lb pike. Slow ! Found the Perch in 22 fow. No Walleye. Very slow bite. Seen a few more interested on the flasher but they didn't want to bite the hook.

Which side of the lake do you all find the Perch and walleye ? Don't want your honey hole, just looking for a good starting point to hunt for them. Found our 2 perch on the NE side. Everyone else we talked to were not catching either. 1 - 2 Perch here and there.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.

Last edited by Kim473; 01-22-2016 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Went there yesterday. 1st time ! 2 X 10" perch and a couple 2 lb pike. Slow ! Found the Perch in 22 fow. No Walleye. Very slow bite. Seen a few more interested on the flasher but they didn't want to bite the hook.

Which side of the lake do you all find the Perch and walleye ? Don't want your honey hole, just looking for a good starting point to hunt for them. Found our 2 perch on the NE side. Everyone else we talked to were not catching either. 1 - 2 Perch here and there.
we used to get them by hauser camp ground. some good ones in there
Old 01-24-2016, 03:14 PM

Went out yesterday, fished the east side (eagle nest) 3 of us 7:30 till 4:30, most active till about 10:00, caught 10 pike 1 keeper, 1 walleye undersized, 1 ling about 5 lbs and no perch. Fished from 8 fow to 25. The afternoon was nearly dead. A few others close to us caught undersized eyes and pike as well. Ice was from 20" to 12" so be careful in the middle a few ice pushes from freeze up a well a large pressure ridge running eat west from the tip of sand point, the north tip of east bank (almost center of lake).
Old 01-24-2016, 10:39 PM

Do not expect high. Numbers of keeper perch or walleye. Slow , slow , slow.