Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-26-2009, 05:20 PM

Default wolf bounty

I heard there might be a 100$ bounty on wolfs, does anyone know do you have to be a trapper to collect it?
Old 02-26-2009, 10:22 PM

in what county is that bounty on
Old 02-26-2009, 11:09 PM

My boss has a trapline near Rocky and he was going hunting wolves near the brazeau res cause he said there was a $300. bounty. I never questioned him on it.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:56 AM
redgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKlu View Post
My boss has a trapline near Rocky and he was going hunting wolves near the brazeau res cause he said there was a $300. bounty. I never questioned him on it.
As you can see from the last fur sale results you can see the average wolf price was around 85 bucks. This is hardly a good enough incentive to run bait stations and all the work of snaring, skinning etc..

To get enough of a monetary incentive to trappers to harvest wolves the Sundre Trappers Association started "The Ungulate Enhancement Fund" and approached Alberta FNAWS, Sundre Fish and Game Association for assistance in funding. The response so far has been excellent and this year we were able to offer an incentive (it is not a bounty) of $300.00 per wolf to bonafide members of the Sundre Trappers Association (the member must attend at least three meetings and an Association function) and $150.00 per wolf to hunters that shoot wolves in the designated Sundre Club's area. The average has been over 40 wolves per year paid out which is a huge increase since the Enhancement Fund began. the incentive is paid out by the trapper/hunter bringing in the wolf registration form to one of our regular meetings. (Every third Thursday at 7:00 p.m. at the McDougall Hall just West of the West Fraser Mill) We are going to expand our funding hopefully this year to offer even more of an incentive next year.

The Rocky Trappers Association has much the same program and we work closely between the two clubs on designated areas etc.. Also I understand the Drayton Local also received money from FNAWS but I don't know how they run their program.

Sundre and Rocky will be running the Trappers Association Booth this weekend at the Red Deer Sportsmens Show so if anyone wants to come and ask any questions please stop in!!!

Suprisingly enough APOS did not want to participate!!!!
Old 02-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Gone Hunting

Redgreen has it pretty well covered.

I am with the Rocky F&GA. The way the pay out happens here: If you are a member in good standing [this applies to the F&GA and the trappers association](must attend I think it is three club meetings and one club"event") then you are intitled to a higher $ amount than if you are just a hunter who kills a wolf in the area. The goal is $300 per wolf registered. Abd $150 for non member in good standing. However it will depend on the funds obtained and the number of wolves killed. It could be something less than the projected $ values.

The $ could be used by a trapper (or hunter) to have the wolf hide tanned and then it can be sold for far more than a raw pelt brings in.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:35 PM

Default Wolf Harvest incentive

Found this thread searching the other day and was hoping to get some comments. From my understanding there were some issues with the incentive payouts and a resulting claim for wolves hunted from the Rocky area were initially denied. Long story short, court ensued and the individual was awarded the incentive and damages much to the dismay of the RTA. Allegedly there was some threats and very poor public behaviour. Anyone care to comment? Wondering what the whole story is as I have only heard one side at this point, and admit I know the individual involved, no sneaking around here.

These actions are very negative to trappers and outdoorsmen as a whole. I'd really hate to hear this is another example of the "old boys" club caught with their hand in the cookie jar. BTW, where do the funds for these incentives come from?

Last edited by kaleh01; 04-25-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgreen View Post
As you can see from the last fur sale results you can see the average wolf price was around 85 bucks. This is hardly a good enough incentive to run bait stations and all the work of snaring, skinning etc..

To get enough of a monetary incentive to trappers to harvest wolves the Sundre Trappers Association started "The Ungulate Enhancement Fund" and approached Alberta FNAWS, Sundre Fish and Game Association for assistance in funding. The response so far has been excellent and this year we were able to offer an incentive (it is not a bounty) of $300.00 per wolf to bonafide members of the Sundre Trappers Association (the member must attend at least three meetings and an Association function) and $150.00 per wolf to hunters that shoot wolves in the designated Sundre Club's area. The average has been over 40 wolves per year paid out which is a huge increase since the Enhancement Fund began. the incentive is paid out by the trapper/hunter bringing in the wolf registration form to one of our regular meetings. (Every third Thursday at 7:00 p.m. at the McDougall Hall just West of the West Fraser Mill) We are going to expand our funding hopefully this year to offer even more of an incentive next year.

The Rocky Trappers Association has much the same program and we work closely between the two clubs on designated areas etc.. Also I understand the Drayton Local also received money from FNAWS but I don't know how they run their program.

Sundre and Rocky will be running the Trappers Association Booth this weekend at the Red Deer Sportsmens Show so if anyone wants to come and ask any questions please stop in!!!

Suprisingly enough APOS did not want to participate!!!!

Seem to recall the bounty was only payable until the end of March , reason I was told was they did not want to be seen as encouraging the killing of females with pups.

Grizz
Old 04-26-2012, 06:56 AM
Banned

Subsequent to the problem in Rocky a very clear and defined set of rules and application criteria were drawn up by Rocky/Sundre. These are very clear and although there are those that try to abuse these types of programs this one works very well and gets members out to meetings etc..

All is well and both clubs have very sucessful programs. Yes Grizz the end of March is the deadline for registration. that is when wolf trapping season ends.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Banned

Now, that WAS a real dikhead speaking -----NO, not you Rob..the other guy.....
Old 06-20-2012, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Taken care of. Some serious trolling going on there. Not to mention the name.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:47 AM

Found this thread looking for a place to sell/trade a wolf hide somewhere, assuming I am lucky enough to get one in my sights.

I'll be hunting southwest and/or northwest of Rocky. I am a F&G member but don't go to meetings. Where does that leave me on this deal, I wonder?

I didn't pick up on the trolling thing, so a pm would be fine .... and appreciated.

Thx.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:42 AM

Default Ungulate Enhancement

Yes, D Valley has a wolf program as well. Key points are you need to be a current member of ATA and attend at least 3 of 6 D Valley meetings. It is not open to the general public. Half of the money for the program is provided by OUR own local.

We also have a Beaver Subsidy program to encourage more of these big rodents to be taken. We have a $1500 total annual program ($10 Beaver) provided by local. The theory is that trappers, especially resident trappers will get a higher positive profile among stakeholders. There is some pretty high Beaver numbers / problems right now... so it is great PR for trappers. Good investment!
Same rules as above for those participating.