Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-20-2013, 07:45 PM

Question Buying a pelt and a couple dumb questions

Where would a guy go to buy some pelts??

BTW I found out I can trap private land with permission (written) lol. Where would be a good start on learning what traps to use for which sets, that kind of thing?? What about proper pelt care and that stuff as well. Can anyone suggest a book or something?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but they are asked by a guy who wants to learn.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:59 PM

What species do you plan to trap ? And the first thing you will need is a license which I think requires taking a course these days......

And I'm not sure what you are looking for in the way of pelts, but Halfords sells tanned ones. A bit pricey but.....
Old 01-20-2013, 09:02 PM

Cool

Well i do have the trappers course, just need to buy the resident fur managment license. As far as pelts go, a fox, couple weasels, basically any one with very nice fur quality, bobcat would be awesome but very pricey lol. I wouldnt be into trapping for the money, at the moment. Right now more so a rec trapper, looking to fill the man cave with nice fur. Get some gloves and such made
Old 01-20-2013, 09:04 PM
Banned

Start on muskrats and beaver. Set out some coyote snares and if there is lynx / bobcat in your area build a couple cubbies. No big deal.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nof60 View Post
Start on muskrats and beaver. Set out some coyote snares and if there is lynx / bobcat in your area build a couple cubbies. No big deal.
Rather call the yotes in lol, but we do have bobcats around apparently, cubby set might not be to bad of an idea
Old 01-20-2013, 09:35 PM

110's and 120's would be the way to go for muskrats, 330's for beaver......

I haven't kept up on coyote traps as the regs have changed a lot over the years. But I would recommend snares over traps anyways....easier to set, maintain, check,etc.plus more successful, IMO.

I've never trapped bobcats but snares would likely be the way to go after them as well.

Plus, if/when you catch your own fur you can prepare it and hang it without tanning as there is very little cost. I have a fox hide on my wall that I soaked in a salt brine and then just rubbed the hide with borax. It's been there for close to 20 years.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:21 AM

I am pretty sure you need a registered fur licence to trap lynx, the bobcat you should be good to go, cubby's and snares would be my choice of sets. there are a couple good youtube videos on lynx snaring (its the same set for bobcat) check out 'thewildnorth' he is a lynx trapper.

the fur buyer i sell to said he can take hides to tan, and a lot cheaper than halfords from what he was saying last year. i want to get one of my foxes done this year, i am not sure if all furbuyers have access to tanneries but i would check it out. the salt brine and borax work awesome as bushmaster stated, but the mice will still chew them... i lost a turkey fan to mice after they chewed through the plywood box it was in and then went to work on the skin and feathers.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
I am pretty sure you need a registered fur licence to trap lynx, the bobcat you should be good to go, cubby's and snares would be my choice of sets. there are a couple good youtube videos on lynx snaring (its the same set for bobcat) check out 'thewildnorth' he is a lynx trapper.

the fur buyer i sell to said he can take hides to tan, and a lot cheaper than halfords from what he was saying last year. i want to get one of my foxes done this year, i am not sure if all furbuyers have access to tanneries but i would check it out. the salt brine and borax work awesome as bushmaster stated, but the mice will still chew them... i lost a turkey fan to mice after they chewed through the plywood box it was in and then went to work on the skin and feathers.
Haha, thewildnorth, that guys awesome, cracks me up
As for the salt brine and borax, does that leave it good enough to where a guy can hang it up in the house with-out it going bad??
Old 01-21-2013, 07:19 PM

Mine still looks the same as when I did it........but it is stiff, not soft like a tanned hide. But I think you want it stiff for a wall hanging anyway......
Old 01-21-2013, 09:51 PM

Winger7mm,all the info on certified traps for each species pelt preparation tips and much more is in the alberta trappers course text book the office is in westlock they have them for sale but u might find one on here if someone close to you is willing to part with theirs
Old 01-23-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog hunter View Post
Winger7mm,all the info on certified traps for each species pelt preparation tips and much more is in the alberta trappers course text book the office is in westlock they have them for sale but u might find one on here if someone close to you is willing to part with theirs
I still have my book, granted it is a few years old, think I took the course around 2007-2008. I am unsure of how things have changed over the years, hence asking the guys who know and have been doing it for awhile lol