Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-25-2013, 05:52 PM

Default trap for muskrat floats

what trap do you guys think would be better for rats on floats,a #1 longspring or a coilspring?
Old 01-25-2013, 06:34 PM
Gone Hunting

I'm not sure one would have an advantage over the other in that application. But I'd opt for the coil springs myself.

I have found that the long spring traps are a bit cumbersome to position because of that spring.

And, I prefer to use #0 if they are available. I figure all the trap has to do is hold the rat until it drowns. So I use them on float sets and in pushups.
Never lost a rat yet.

LOL But then I don't do a lot of rat trapping. A couple of dozen a year is about the best I've done. This is not good rat country.

Down south of Edmonton, back in the 70s, I taught a fellow how to trap rats.
We could reasonably expect to take that many in a day. And we often did far better. Over forty one day as I recall. All with #0 traps.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:47 AM

Default Rat Traps

I would highly reccomend using 1.5 Longsprings (Either old Victors or new Sleepy Creeks) as your first choice on floats. They have the weight to keep the rat from getting back on to the float and springing 2nd trap or not drowning. Key is to use a total chain / 1/16" AC cable of at least 4'. This way they often get tangled quickly in weeds on bottom as well. Sure you can use smaller traps - but they need weight attached (can use doubled heavier chain, sash weights /lead weights for river fishing etc) I have a few rigged up, but the attachments are a bit of a pain. These are always the last traps I use. I am trying 1.5 Duke coils - they work as well with above set up BUT if go this route BEND THE DOGS to make the trap more sensitive or you will miss lots of rats dancing on the pans. They are also harder to set while standing in water or setting out of a canoe. Bottom line - I reccomend the 1.5 Longs as your front line rat trap.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Godberson View Post
I would highly reccomend using 1.5 Longsprings (Either old Victors or new Sleepy Creeks) as your first choice on floats. They have the weight to keep the rat from getting back on to the float and springing 2nd trap or not drowning. Key is to use a total chain / 1/16" AC cable of at least 4'. This way they often get tangled quickly in weeds on bottom as well. Sure you can use smaller traps - but they need weight attached (can use doubled heavier chain, sash weights /lead weights for river fishing etc) I have a few rigged up, but the attachments are a bit of a pain. These are always the last traps I use. I am trying 1.5 Duke coils - they work as well with above set up BUT if go this route BEND THE DOGS to make the trap more sensitive or you will miss lots of rats dancing on the pans. They are also harder to set while standing in water or setting out of a canoe. Bottom line - I reccomend the 1.5 Longs as your front line rat trap.
Thanks gary I was waiting hoping to hear from you before i bought any traps.