Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-06-2011, 02:11 PM

There's no substitue for a Bully Kutta.

I'm not sure how they are with kids, etc.

I talked to Petra earlier and she suggested a different outcome.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Can't go wrong with a Lab! Theres areason they are the most popular dog in the world! Great with kids, fun loving and playfull and as mentioned already if you like bird hunting its a great companion! I know I wouldn't think of getting another dog but a lab!
x2
Old 06-06-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damowers View Post
If you and your wife have the extra time in your lives to dedicate for raising and training a dog to become a family pet and not a nusiance to family and neighbors for the next 10 years, then you are deserving of a dog.
Do not not get a pet with the intentions or expectations of kids to feed the dog, walk the dog, play with the dog, do yard cleanup.
If possible, go to a shelter and see about fostering a dog for a month to see if your life style fits into a dogs life.
We have had dogs for twenty years, pups and rescues. I can say we when we get another dog it will be a rescue. You do have to be dilligent about finding out about their bad habits or baggage (not compatible with children, other pets, health issues). If you have a particular breed you prefer, contact a breeder or the breeds association as they will have a network of contacts that cater to rescues.
x2. So many good dogs end up in shelters. I'd check there to see if there's a life you'd be willing to save. I don't favor breeds....there's good and bad in all breeds. I know several labs that drool constantly in the house.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Can't go wrong with a Lab!
Ohhh yes you can

Get your dog from a reputable breeder. Research them, their facility, and their dogs. Get on a forum for whatever breed you decide on and chat away. It is part of the whole experience. Have pride in your pet and treat it with respect, it will return the favour ten fold.

If you have to repent for something.....go rescue one from a shelter

tm
Old 06-06-2011, 03:06 PM

I would go with a English Springer Spaniel. they are not as big as labs(usually), but they are still a good sized pooch. Great family dog and hunting dog.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:25 PM

Brittany. Can your wife and kids resist this? And they POINT birds and retrieve waterfowl (though not in the same class as a lab for cold weather water retrieving). Midsized, don't slobber, no tail to knock things over. Affectionate and playful as all get-out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lou_and_Mr_Boots.jpg (65.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 06-06-2011, 03:29 PM

Another vote for the Golden Retreviers
Old 06-06-2011, 03:48 PM

I got a portuguese water dog from a breeder just outside Calgary...best dog I have ever owned, hands down.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:52 PM

I had a couple heelers as a kid and they were great. Those dogs would walk us out to the bus every day as kids and be waiting when we got home. That being said they have turned away more than one meter reader haha. Now I have a miniature Australian Sheppard and love the little guy to death. Problem is he only loves the wife and me, can't trust him with kids. Maybe have a look at american rotties also, the outlaws have one and it is the cuddliest and nicest dogs ever.

The only pain in the @$$ dog we had was the neighbours lab, damn cat killer! Oh well he got taken care of.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorhunter View Post
1st choice...lab

2nd choice...lab

3rd choice...there are no 3rd choices.

What georgeous lookin dog. nice pics
Old 06-06-2011, 07:41 PM

Thanks for all the ideas guys, I'd love to go with a Lab but we just don't have the room, The brother in law has one and he's a great dog. So the search continues.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Brittany. Can your wife and kids resist this? And they POINT birds and retrieve waterfowl (though not in the same class as a lab for cold weather water retrieving). Midsized, don't slobber, no tail to knock things over. Affectionate and playful as all get-out.
The wife melted over your picture, she spent the next half hour looking up info on Britts... fingers crossed
Old 06-06-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Thanks for all the ideas guys, I'd love to go with a Lab but we just don't have the room, The brother in law has one and he's a great dog. So the search continues.
SHELTY

The Shetland sheepdog is an outstanding companion dog and is intensely loyal. It is lively, intelligent, trainable, and willing to please and obey. Shelties are loving, loyal, and affectionate with their family, but are naturally aloof with strangers; for this reason Shelties must be socialized.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Int...Brightest_Dogs
Old 06-06-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Looking for some help? My wife and I are thinking of getting a dog for our kids, The oldest is 7 youngest is almost 3. We are kicking around ideas about what kind to get, the wife is leaning towards a small dog like a Bichon or shi tzu ??? not sure how to spell it. I'd like a little bigger dog like a duck toller or spaniel ( notice the hunting breeds ).
Any help with ideas for really good kids dogs would be greatly appreciated.
Love my Tollers!

Attachment 36259

Attachment 36260

Attachment 36261

Brazeau

Last edited by brazeau; 09-26-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:07 PM

I have a Welsh terrier, he looks like a miniature Airdale, wouldn't trade for any other. He's all the things I ever wanted in a dog and while they are not hunting dogs he swam out into a fast flowing canal and retrieved a duck for me when I asked him to.

" wasn't real impressed with giving the duck up howver...."
Old 06-06-2011, 08:36 PM

The problem with all puppies you see is they look so cute and adorable, when young;

The ****zue & bitcher types are soooo cute when small (my neighbor raises them)
but once they are adult, at least half are good for nothing, and not the smartist;
yet i recently spoke with an older lady whose dog looked nice and alert, and she gives it long walks morning and nite; and both her and the dog were in good shape as a result.

My first dog Crusoe was a border collie crossed with a lab; excellent dog; he only bit one person in his life and that was a jehoval-witness guy packing a large bible; mother opened the door, and Crusoe took one look and ran out and bit him in the hand, drew blood: the preacher left in a hurry.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:51 PM

Thanks sewerrat. 4.5 years old and he still has a puppy face. Intelligent, infinite patience, a real sweetheart!

Your chocolate looks pretty fine too!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Our waterdog is only 45 pounds, and she is full grown - and they don't shed. Excellent personality, great with kids, and smart as hell. I wanted a sporting/working dog but my wife wanted a dog that we could keep inside and not have it shed or be to big that it got in the way, so it was the perfect scenario for us. Plus you can train them to catch fish, that was the deciding factor for me...
Old 06-06-2011, 11:46 PM

take a serious look at your life style, and get a breed that coincides with that , if you like going to the lake allot get a water dog EG lab, chesapeake bay retriever, if you like upland stuff get a pointer or a flusher , but don't get a poop hound like a ****zoo or a pomeranian
Old 06-06-2011, 11:49 PM

Dam.... Gator that is one good looking lab

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 06-07-2011, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
Our waterdog is only 45 pounds, and she is full grown - and they don't shed. Excellent personality, great with kids, and smart as hell. I wanted a sporting/working dog but my wife wanted a dog that we could keep inside and not have it shed or be to big that it got in the way, so it was the perfect scenario for us. Plus you can train them to catch fish, that was the deciding factor for me...
x2....this was the first dog I thought of when I read the OP.

Right size, right temperment & trainability, and the right "look"....

You will not regret getting a PWD.
Alberta Mustangs: Yes, they are a legitimate "breed", and have survived and thrived in the harsh climate of the Rockies for the last 600 years. If that doesn't deserve some recognition, then I don't know what does.
http://albertamustangs.blogspot.com
Old 06-07-2011, 08:51 AM

Have had a German Shepherd, Brittany Spaniel, and 2 Bouviers, all were great dogs but we like the tail-less ones ourselves, less things wiped off the coffee table. Been without a dog for a year now, Friday my wife went and picked up an Australian Shepherd.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6040019.JPG (69.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-07-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforthree View Post
Dam.... Gator that is one good looking lab
Thanks! He is a cutie! Just the right size too at 72 pounds.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:51 AM

If you live in the city a Lab leaves a pretty big footprint on your small yard.

I have had Border Collies for the past 30 years and they make outstanding dogs for kids and they will keep your kids active and they're smart enough to help them with their algebra homework as well.
If you don't have the time and inclination to play ball or walk a dog don't get any dog, expecially a Border Collie.
Most dogs and especially Border Collies need a job. If you don't give them one they will find their own and you might not apprecaite it.
A good friend has a Nova Scotia Duck Toller, what a great dog as well. I think he paid $1200 for the pup 3 years ago.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:52 AM

I agree with the comment looking at your lifestyle and finding a sporting breed that will have a nice match, many breeds mentioned need a ton of exercise, mental stimulation and are not house dogs. how much time are you going to spend on socializing and training? As you can tell we all have our preferences, but this decision is a 10-14 year committment, dont take it lightly.

The only one comment I will make on a specific breed is a Chessie, if you are a first time dog owner, pass on this breed. If you are experienced, they are fabulous hunting / companion dogs, smart, thinkers, but not for the faint of heart and not as forgiving as many breeds. Labs for general purpose are fabulous and you can get smaller dogs, ie 45 -50 Ib females.

So back to decisioning, take the family to a dog show, specifically looking at sporting breeds as that seems to be the interest, then talk to people with the dogs that you have interest in, get breeders names, ask more questions. Make an educated decision as a family, involve your kids, this can be a fun exciting time for the whole family. just my two cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_cant_rope_the_wind View Post
take a serious look at your life style, and get a breed that coincides with that , if you like going to the lake allot get a water dog EG lab, chesapeake bay retriever, if you like upland stuff get a pointer or a flusher , but don't get a poop hound like a ****zoo or a pomeranian
Old 06-07-2011, 11:30 AM

Default family pet

I know that labs are a good dog , except when someone in your family has allergies to dog fur . I wanted a working retriever and the Mrs. wanted a family pet , so we searched the no shedding types and sizes . We settled on a irish water spaniel breed , they are very intelligent and also make good companions .Some reports say they are a more one person dog but she has done fine and as far as hunting ability she amazes us still . This dog just will not give up, kind of like the energizer bunny , just keeps going and going.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer55 View Post
Have had a German Shepherd, Brittany Spaniel, and 2 Bouviers, all were great dogs but we like the tail-less ones ourselves, less things wiped off the coffee table. Been without a dog for a year now, Friday my wife went and picked up an Australian Shepherd.
That's originally what I was going for, too - ended up with a Border Collie.

Like Almer said, though, they need a job. Lucky for me, mine is very ball focused, so we get to go to the park a lot Definitely not the dog for people that aren't planning on being active. Aussies are a bit more, oh.. less focused, I think

I'd like to get a Corgi, too. Hubby says no more dogs.