Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-01-2020, 08:56 PM

I agree get a spotter that will help you make the right decision and could save you countless hours but you'll only make the trek day after day if you have good boots on your feet everything else you can piece together and improve and you find faults while your out there
Old 02-01-2020, 09:06 PM

While I believe quality optics are important for sheep hunting espeshily with how much time a guy spends behind them in the mountains I would suggest that I would spend money on good rain gear, a down jacket and pants. After all if you can't survive the elements your optics will be of little use
Old 02-02-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
You could kill a lot of your budget (or all and then some) on a good spotter and that will go the longest way on making you more efficient out there. You are looking for your first legal ram. Knowing if it's worth putting that long hike in or not for that band of rams you find with the binos is really important.

If you spend even a dime on the "high end" clothing before a good spotter you've done it wrong off the get go. There is nice to haves and need to haves. A good spotter is a need to have. You can get buy with less than top end gear for the overnight stuff. I run a cheap North face tent, pocket rocket stove, neo air sleeping pad and for years had a cheap synthetic north face sleeping bag that was bulky but made do. Went with a Taiga works down bag this year and will admit it's really nice for the packability but a nice to have.

In the end the most important thing to have is the drive to do it, a lot of it is mental.
I basically agree with this. A good quality spotter and tripod for it (and your binos!!) are the best place to put your money. Use the leftover cash for a used sleeping bag, pad and tent.

There are lots of ways to cut weight with quilt and tarp systems (which I use myself) but it sounds like you’re sort of new to sleeping in the bush. Being a big guy is strike two on that front. Don’t drop a whole load on the sexiest hunting specific sleep and camp kit that may not work for you. Be comfortable at night.

I have built up a kit of all the best stuff over the years - but some is either “nice to have” or else very specific to my experience and needs.

As long as you have some basic layers suitable for mountain weather that aren’t bright blue, don’t spend on clothing.

Good luck - pm if I can help. If you’re in the Calgary area I’d be happy to meet up and do a bag dump for you.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobucks View Post
As long as you have some basic layers suitable for mountain weather that aren’t bright blue, don’t spend on clothing.
Dam it! That’s what I’m doing wrong. I wear jeans usually and a hoodie when i sheep hunt. Usually I carry a tarp and an old down filled woods sleeping bag. We’ve found that using high a powered camera works good for a spotting scope. My hunting buddy has a canon sx65 and I just bought my son a Nikon p900 which is even better picture quality. That way it’s easier to study Rams for legality, plus you’ve just did your due diligence on studying a ram. You already have a good pair of binos. Good luck with your new addiction!
Old 02-03-2020, 04:56 PM

I'd start picking up some more shifts to boost the budget. Having a hunting buddy to split gear cost with helps too. Buy once cry once.

The most important thing is to be able to stay out in the field. So number one would be overnight gear.

Number two is high end glass. Leica, Zeiss, or Swaro. Scourer for used gear on multiple forums, kijiji, facebook and ebay. Don't settle for the lesser brands. Deals are out there if you wait. Last year I picked up a Leica 77mm spotter for 1500 and flipped it. I also scored a set of swaro el's for 1300 used, a more realistic price would be sub 2k.

Sirui makes an affordable lightweight tripods. Guys seem to have good luck with them online. I haven't had a chance to field test mine since upgrading from my heavy Manfrotto.

Stay on your glass while out there. And stay on them until it is dark.

The best advice I got while preparing for sheep hunting is that sheep are less likely to blow out if they keep sight of the threat. Hang up a red sheet or have a friend be a visible distraction if they spot you. This will hold them while the shooter moves in for the kill.

Tags
sheep hunting