Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-30-2011, 11:13 AM

Default Broke my fishing rod - Rapala, anyone?

Dang it. I've been ticked off all weekend about this.

I'd have posted this in the classified section, but I think there's more exposure on this board.

It's a Rapala MH-55, medium-light action rod (7'1") and was my favorite walleye rod. The top 18" broke off the rod. I wrote to Rapala, who advised that the rod was last made in 2006 (around when I got it) and that parts are not available for it.

If anyone has the top section (or the whole rod) and wants to sell it, I'd sure appreciate a PM with specifics.

The model number is WT40SP72ML2, on the off chance someone might have a match.

Thanks so much,
Deb
Old 05-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Banned

Try ebay Deb.

Good luck!
Old 05-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Banned

just curious....... why do you want that exact rod as a replacement?
Old 05-30-2011, 11:46 AM

i have seen one rapala rod break casting a small/emd spoon.. shouldnb't have happened.. wasn't even a hard cast..

I have heard (but not seen) lots of other people have rapala rods break..

I wouldn't buy one
Old 05-30-2011, 12:02 PM

I run 3 rapala rods for walleye jigging all 5'6" light weight rods and haven't had a problem yet. They have all had some pretty big eyes on the other end and many fish on everyone one of the rods. They are mass produced so there is always going to be some problems but for the most part I have really liked my rods.

I would recommend heading to the fishing hole or wholesale sports and checking out the rapala rods that they have now and see if there is anything similar to what you had.

Nate
Old 05-30-2011, 12:03 PM

QUOTE=Braun;959173]just curious....... why do you want that exact rod as a replacement?[/QUOTE]

Sentimental reasons, Braun. I just got a Shimano Stradic and was itching to pair the two together. *sigh*

Lac, this rod has been my go-to spinning rod for about five years. I've never had a problem with sensitivity or missing a hook set because I felt the bite too late. It was my own fault the rod broke, had nothing to do with fishing. (Translation: Deb is a moron.) I also have a Rapala bait casting rod and am happy with it, too ... although my bait casting leaves a LOT to be desired At the time, they were good value for my needs.

So while I have no issue with replacing the rod, and I know that there are better ones on the market, I'd rather have as much of the old one back as possible.

Thanks,
Deb

P.S. Already tried EBay and kijiji.ca. Nada.
P.P.S. Yep, Nate .. looks like a shopping trip may be in order. Love the idea .. but like most, I walk out with more than I intended to get!
Old 05-30-2011, 05:31 PM

try to fix it

take a peice of metal dowel about two and a half inches long that fits in the rod

coat it with epoxy or some other flexible adhesive

stick it inside the rod and hold it togeather untill its tacky or it doesnt need to be clamped

take a piece of cloth and coat it in the adhesive

wrap the cloth around the breakage so it goes about two inches to either side

let it set

smooth out any rough spots

it isnt the best fix, but it will work if not for walleye then itl work for pike or some other still bait, you will just have to be careful and not hoarse anything with it
Old 05-30-2011, 05:48 PM

My rap rod broke for seemingly no reason aswell........ seems semi common
Old 05-30-2011, 06:54 PM

I love my old Rapala rod. I bought one of there Tournament series about 5 years ago and it was my go to walleye rod for the longest time... that rod caught more large walleyes and big northerns in 3 summers in northern ontario then most rods will ever catch. A hail stone about the size of baseball broke the tip off. Just heated the tip up pulled out the 1" broken section and glued the tip back on. Still one of my favorite rods.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Banned

I've had most of the popular brands of graphite rods break suddenly under normal use. I dont know that Rapala rods are any worse than Shimano's or fenwicks, had the worst luck with shimano's and best luck with shakespear, go figure. Good luck in your search but I imagine anyone with an intact top half will have a perfectly good bottom half as well and will not want to split them up. May as well start looking at Ebay cause your probably going to have to either fix it or buy a new rod, the same model or other.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:31 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Who knows, maybe someone has one of these rods sitting around ... the whole fishing rod, the top piece, I'd take either!)

As an aside, for all those who took the time to read this, Pine Lake is finally picking up (for me, anyway .. I know others might disagree). It's still slow, considering the action at other fisheries, but I managed three nice sized walleyes over the weekend and, considering how pitiful the ice fishing was there this past season, I'm feeling pretty lucky!

Deb
Old 05-30-2011, 08:33 PM

n best rods my rod tip broke aswell for no reason and the reel wasnt tofar behind it...
Old 05-30-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
n best rods my rod tip broke aswell for no reason and the reel wasnt tofar behind it...
haha very informative and useful!!! well said! .....
Old 05-30-2011, 08:51 PM

I have a 7' rapala magnum, medium, about the same year, and it is my favorite rod to date. I'd have to go check if its the exact same as the one you're looking for, but it's not for sale (I said it's MY FAVORITE!), but just wanted to give a +1 on liking that style of Rapala rod
Old 05-30-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
haha very informative and useful!!! well said! .....
sorry i ment arnt the best....IMO anyways...
i had the brown rapala series and didnt like it but whatever its 15 bucks.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:17 PM

Any fix on the rod will change the action of the rod.

As for rods spontaneously breaking while casting etc it is usually due to some sort of bruise on the rod caused by dropping it and having it hit the rocks, edge of the boat etc and damaging the blank itself.

So the next time you accidentally close the car door on a rod and it don't break just remember it's probably going to break in the near future!

Wish I could help you out but the only Rapala rod I own is a 5' of my sons and if I sold that it'll cost me dearly in the end as he'd probably want a G.Loomis as a replacement.